Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:56 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktanner View Post
Yes, I honestly do believe God is pressuring me to marry and have children. I don't feel any peace when it comes to dating and marriage. I hear God saying if you don't get married and have children like good Christians do, I will revoke your salvation and send you to hell.

I don't like being tormented by this. I could pray about this, except I feel it is God who is putting those burdens on my shoulders. What should I do?
First of all, what's making you so certain that it's God? I'd make darned good and sure it is before trying to decide what to do about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
All I can say is that I now realize how fortunate I am for not having a spouse who married me because she believed she'd go to hell if she didn't.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:14 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
In Matthew 11: 28-30....Come unto me all you that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest....Take my yoke upon you and learn of me for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest unto your souls.... For my yoke is easy and my burden is light......... The Lord Jesus will first tell you once and immediatly the corrupt spirit of this world will pressure you to reject the Word the Lord Jesus gave through reason and logic, that will confuse the Word Jesus gave you making HIS Words useless.....Believers are called to caste down imagination in 2 Corinthians 10: 5

Old 10-09-2010, 04:27 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:
Yes, I honestly do believe God is pressuring me to marry and have children. I don't feel any peace when it comes to dating and marriage. I hear God saying if you don't get married and have children like good Christians do, I will revoke your salvation and send you to hell.

I don't like being tormented by this. I could pray about this, except I feel it is God who is putting those burdens on my shoulders. What should I do?
Salvation being contingent on you is not the voice that God has ever spoke \ revealed. I completely understand why you don't feel any peace .... what if you got married but couldn't conceive, does that make you bad?

Your torment is maybe coming from what you believe makes a person forgiven and worthy enough so as not to be sent to hell. I would recommend to go to this web site:

His Healing Now

This was created by women for women who are struggling about feeling unworthy, guilty of believing they're not meeting God's expectations, God placing conditions on salvation \ forgiveness.

Please go to His Healing Now for help in the your internal anguish in being tormented.

Twin

Old 10-09-2010, 04:57 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,958 times
Quote:
That is not God talking. First clue is that you cannot lose your salvation. God doesn't bother going around saving people only to lose them. That does not show the glory of God in salvation regarding Jesus Christ as the Saviour. You have His seal of adoption. Jesus Christ is in you. That is why He can keep His promise of being with us always. So no believer is going to go to hell because that would mean Jesus Christ will be going there too, but He is not and so you are not either.

Colossians 1: 20And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. 21And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled 22In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: 23If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; ..... 27To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: 28Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Jesus would not go through all that pain, suffering, abuse, and death to save you and then just to throw you away.

Quote:
What church do you go to?

How do you pray? Who do you pray to?

Do you hang around occultists or those that dabble in witchcraft?

I'm just trying to discern the source of that voice in case you are doing something which is causing this lying voice to manifest to you. You may not be doing anything at all, but just going through a trial of testing. Just wondering.

In any event: all answer to prayers must come by way of Jesus Christ: no other way. This is a sure fire way to know that voice you are hearing is not of Him.

John 14: 6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 7If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.13And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

If you really want to know God's position on marriage and virginity: read His words. His words stands against anything that voice says.

Click on the link below and read.

1 Corinthians 7 - Passage*Lookup - King James Version - BibleGateway.com

Old 10-13-2010, 10:31 AM

193 posts, read 535,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
This is just my opinion but that doesn't sound like God. Well, let me tell you my short story. I don't think that I ever want to get married or have children, because I feel that I could serve the Lord better in being singleness. But, I got a lot of steam from church people who basically was trying to say something was wrong with me for not wanting to be single. They didn't come out and say it, but there actions said other wise. They would ask me, why don't you want to be married or have children. Then they would try to find a scripture to justify there action. But I was smart enough to study the bible for myself and looked at others who served the Lord in there singleness and the Lord was pleased.

Now by that being said. There was this voice telling me that if I didn't get married I was sinning, was bad, the Lord wouldn't be pleased, I would go to hell, and guess what, it wasn't the voice of the Lord. It was the voice of the devil and the voice of others that was causing me to cry because I thought that I had to be pressured into being married.

Now, by that being said, I just tell God, if you want me to be married, then I know that He will prepare me for marriage, but if not, I know that He want send me to hell. God does give some people the gift of celibacy and if there are those who don't have it, well the bible does say it is better to marry then to burn with passion.

But just like Paul,e he said that he would wish for people to be like him, to save yourself the heartache that it brings, but he also said that if a person couldn't restrain themselves then marry they should do.

Now, what I had to do was exam why I wanted to be single, and God did reveal to me that I wanted to be single because of me fearing that I would marry a horrible man and looking at other people whose marriage was bad. So, I was basically looking at marriage through a pitch stain glass with blinders on. So, now I just allow God to heal my heart of that.

Being single is not a bad thing. A person doesn't have to marry as long as they can restrain themselves in that area. Now, I am only giving my opinion.

But do this, research how God dealt with people about being married and being single. He never told anyone that He would send them to hell for not marrying or having children.

Jesus even said that there are some who make themselves eunuch for the Kingdom. Matthew 19:12

It doesn't sound like that is God, it sounds like something else. Just ask and seek the Lord what wait to hear what He wants out of your life (Why He created you).

But don't make the mistake that I did. I thought God was going to make me get married, pressure me to get married, so I ran away from Him. Then when I realized that He was not doing that, I found out that the devil was using that to push me away from God. God doesn't deal harshly with me about marriage, He just deals with me, like a Father could deal with his child. So, now I am not scared to go to God about marriage. He just shows me that marriage can be a good thing if you marry the person that you are suppose to be with. But if a person doesn't marry and they are serving Him, He will be pleased.
I have felt the same way you did. I am not to the point where I feel comfortable about telling God about my marriage issues.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I have felt the same way you did. I am not to the point where I feel comfortable about telling God about my marriage issues.
If you really want to know God's position on marriage and virginity: read His words. His words stands against anything that voice says.

1 Corinthians 7:1Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. 3Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. 4The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. 5Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency. 6But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. 7For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. 8I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I. 9But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn. 10And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: 11But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife. 12But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. 13And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. 14For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. 15But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. 16For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife? 17But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches. 18Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised. 19Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God. 20Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called. 21Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather. 22For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant. 23Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men. 24Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God. 25Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful. 26I suppose therefore that this is good for the present distress, I say, that it is good for a man so to be. 27Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife. 28But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you. 29But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none; 30And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not; 31And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away. 32But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: 33But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife. 34There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband. 35And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction. 36But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry. 37Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well. 38So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth her not in marriage doeth better. 39The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord. 40But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 AM

193 posts, read 535,029 times
What has gotten me depressed is that I have read by some pastors that there is no such thing as a gift of singleness (or on the comforting side a gift of marriage).
Gillis Triplett - Is It The Will of God For Me To Marry Or Remain Single?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:06 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,667 times
Quote:
What has gotten me depressed is that I have read by some pastors that there is no such thing as a gift of singleness (or on the comforting side a gift of marriage).

Throw that in the trash and in the case of marriage or remaining single, do what makes you happy.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
From that link: it reads that you can be single if that is what you want to be. Mr. Triplett was just declaring that God will not call anyone to be a eunuch, but he is in error because earlier he was quoting Jesus that those that are single, it is by how God enables.

If a person can live a single's life, then happy abide should he be, but if he cannot abide, whethor he wishes he was married or that he believes he cannot contain his sexual urges, then he should seek to marry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity