Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktanner View Post
Yes, I honestly do believe God is pressuring me to marry and have children. I don't feel any peace when it comes to dating and marriage. I hear God saying if you don't get married and have children like good Christians do, I will revoke your salvation and send you to hell.

I don't like being tormented by this. I could pray about this, except I feel it is God who is putting those burdens on my shoulders. What should I do?
There is not requirement to marry, beacause some people are better off married, and some single. Paul was single.

1 Corinthians 7:7–8 I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 09:37 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
From that link: it reads that you can be single if that is what you want to be. Mr. Triplett was just declaring that God will not call anyone to be a eunuch, but he is in error because earlier he was quoting Jesus that those that are single, it is by how God enables.

If a person can live a single's life, then happy abide should he be, but if he cannot abide, whethor he wishes he was married or that he believes he cannot contain his sexual urges, then he should seek to marry.
Yeah... um... I don't think someone should get married just because they cannot contain his sexual urges. Just my 2 cents - but that does not make a successful or happy marriage. If you fall in love with someone and want to spend the rest of your life the them - get married. If you don't fall in love with someone, don't get married. It's that simple. Anything less than true love is not a valid reason to get married. Do you really think God would want someone to get married because they want to have sex or because the "should" get married? That would be an untrue union and I can't imagine God condoning that. I'll just say that I'm darn happy my husband didn't marry me because he was afraid that God would be mad at him if he didn't get married or because he just really wanted to have sex. We got married because the thought of not spending the rest our lives together was unbearable.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:00 AM

223 posts, read 268,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yeah... um... I don't think someone should get married just because they cannot contain his sexual urges. Just my 2 cents - but that does not make a successful or happy marriage. If you fall in love with someone and want to spend the rest of your life the them - get married. If you don't fall in love with someone, don't get married. It's that simple. Anything less than true love is not a valid reason to get married. Do you really think God would want someone to get married because they want to have sex or because the "should" get married? That would be an untrue union and I can't imagine God condoning that. I'll just say that I'm darn happy my husband didn't marry me because he was afraid that God would be mad at him if he didn't get married or because he just really wanted to have sex. We got married because the thought of not spending the rest our lives together was unbearable.

Dew, you're talking about a very modern concept of marriage. At the time of the Bible, did love marriages take place? Sure. Were they the norm? No. Marriages were historically much more about convenience, and political and familial relations. So on the basis that the Bible is the unfiltered word of God, in its pure form, then there's nothing persuasive in saying what you think God wants, because that's showing an ignorance of how he wants us to live our lives.

Yes, he wants us to live in mud huts, and marry our close relatives to form stronger political bonds and have something to have sex with from time to time for breeding purposes. Praise Him.

Disclaimer: Irony

Old 10-14-2010, 10:11 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,038 times
Quote:
Yes, I honestly do believe God is pressuring me to marry and have children. I don't feel any peace when it comes to dating and marriage. I hear God saying if you don't get married and have children like good Christians do, I will revoke your salvation and send you to hell.

I don't like being tormented by this. I could pray about this, except I feel it is God who is putting those burdens on my shoulders. What should I do?
That voice you are hearing is NOT God. God does not force us to do what we do not want to do.

I would pray that God would give you peace and that this opressive spirit of condemnation would go in Jesus' name to where the Lord will send it.

It is written: "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Romans 8:1.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:20 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
Quote:

I'm sorry this is happening to you, but I think its your own internal conflict. God doesn't torment. You might want to talk to your minister. I hope you find some peace.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:33 AM

73 posts, read 131,986 times
Quote:

I hear lithium helps with the voices.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,165 times
Quote:
What has gotten me depressed is that I have read by some pastors that there is no such thing as a gift of singleness (or on the comforting side a gift of marriage).
Gillis Triplett - Is It The Will of God For Me To Marry Or Remain Single?
This is nonsense...God does not call all to be married. I have a family friend who has never been married and she's in her late 40s. God is using her for His Kingdom in ways that someone with a spouse and children couldn't.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:49 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,306,173 times
Quote:
I have felt the same way you did. I am not to the point where I feel comfortable about telling God about my marriage issues.
I understand what you are saying. But you do know that God already knows about your marriage issues already, He is just waiting for you to talk to Him about it. God is all knowing, so He already knows.

He knows what we are thinking, what is going through in our mind, what we don't say, and the very thought that run through our heads. So, trust me He already knows about your marriage issues.

Psalm 139:1-18

I found this site, God Knows Everything | Christian Daily Devotionals (http://thoughts-about-god.com/blog/2010/08/31/kk_knows-everything-3/ - broken link)

Old 10-18-2010, 12:53 PM

193 posts, read 535,029 times
I thank you all for your replies. This is an issue that has lead me to great sandess and upset all the time. I believe marriage was intended as a punishment from God. I do feel marriage is no different from going to jail.

I have felt uncomfortable at church because they push the whole marriage and biblical manhood based on getting married. I wish I knew of a church where they do not focus on the suburban family and getting married. I wish there were neurotypical christian women and men out there who feel the same way about not wanting to pursue marriage and that there are better things in this life.

Life is way too short to have to deal with raising kids and having to run around to many different places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity