Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:08 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
I have read most of the recent posts that deal in favor or against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. And as much as I wish I could respond, I need to have one question answered: why the dislike, or hatred, or whatever towards this church, towards what we believe? I think once I get answers to this question, it'll help me to see your point view and then perhaps answer appropriately. I might answer, I might not, I'm not good at debating. But I really would like to know, cause I do not involve myself w/anti-Mormon discussion on a daily basis and am very curious why there is so much attack against my church.
Because Jesus was the alpha and the omega, there is no need for more revelation. Mormonism basically says, Jesus didn't know it all or teach it all, so here's what Jesus and His Church didn't teach you. It flat out cheapens what Christ did here on earth. That alone is enough to make most Christians angry. Add in that it was built with a doctrine of polytheism, racism, and polygamy and you clearly see the pattern of a religion led by a man whose ego says he was as important as Christ and built a religion for the benefit of white men who wanted to become gods themselves and lay with every woman they desired legally by marrying them. Recent changes to those doctrines are irrelevant to how Mormonism started and continued for most of it's existence.

A religious organization can be considered suspect when one of the biggest benefactors of said organization is the author. Jesus created a religion, denied himself of everything, and died for everyone else. That speaks volumes to it's authenticity.

Last edited by juj; 10-13-2010 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Go over to the Salt Lake City and Utah forums and see what the non-LDS posters have to say. They love their LDS neighbors and their kids have lots of LDS friends.
Maybe the Salt Lake City Mormons don't feel threatened because they are in the majority while Mormons in these other areas, who are clearly in the minority, put up a wall to keep out the influences, pressures, and ideas of the majority.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:41 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,150,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Go over to the Salt Lake City and Utah forums and see what the non-LDS posters have to say. They love their LDS neighbors and their kids have lots of LDS friends.
Yep. I'm LDS and all my children's friends, all of them are NOT LDS.
My daughter is even dating and considering marrying a non LDS young man. And that is perfectly fine with us.

Most of my friends are NOT LDS either.
So I don't think this is an across the board thing. People are just people. And jerks are just jerks in any neighborhood or religion.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:57 AM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post

Yep. I'm LDS and all my children's friends, all of them are NOT LDS.
My daughter is even dating and considering marrying a non LDS young man. And that is perfectly fine with us.

Most of my friends are NOT LDS either.
So I don't think this is an across the board thing. People are just people. And jerks are just jerks in any neighborhood or religion.
Agreed.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:58 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Unfortunately ... it truly appears that there are some CDF folks who take a great deal of pleasure in stating their vile & shameful hatred regarding anything and anyone who would dare mention the greatest of all names ... Jesus Christ !
Unfortunately ... you are wrong, as it is not those that don't believe in Jesus that are so vocal against the Mormons, but those that also believe in Jesus and/or god, but disagree with the extremes of Mormonism.

As an Atheist, I classify all religions that same, as a practice of rituals based in superstitions that should have been discarded centuries ago.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
I'm not a Christian or a Mormon - but I've had many Mormon friends throughout my life. I even went on a weekend retreat once when I was in highschool (we went to a water park!). They have been some of the nicest people I have known. Were they perfect - no way. Are any of us? But they all welcomed me into their homes and their lives and accepted me the way that I was. I have nothing against them at all. I have never experienced hatred or judgement from my Mormon friends - other religious folks, yes! But never by Mormons. Do I agree with all their beliefs? Well, no. I don't agree with all of any religion's beliefs. I could care less what one believes in as long as they are kind. Now - the gay rights thing - that does get to me - but to be honest, the Mormon's that I have been friends with have been for gay rights.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:42 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
WOW, this is my experience as well. Even as far as the kids not playing together.

I have lived in Mesa Az for 14 years now, and the profile is the same, no matter the neighborhood.
I'd say this (and the post you quoted) are the reasons why I dislike Mormonism. I'll add that the Mormon church seems rather cult-ish to me as well. Very controlling, secretive, thinks all other religions/denominations are wrong, the constant need to convert people, the treatment of non-Mormons, the treatment of their own if their own leaves the church, (I've known 2 people who were disowned by their families for leaving the Mormon church), the funny underwear, extreme conservative views, etc. I could care less about their beliefs and how they differ from the rest of Christianity. It's more to do with Mormonism seeming like a cult.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
WOW, this is my experience as well. Even as far as the kids not playing together.

I have lived in Mesa Az for 14 years now, and the profile is the same, no matter the neighborhood.

Wow, this is my experience here in Texas as well, with all the Baptists, Church of Christ, Methodists........................but really who cares, social dynamics.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'd say this (and the post you quoted) are the reasons why I dislike Mormonism. I'll add that the Mormon church seems rather cult-ish to me as well. Very controlling, secretive, thinks all other religions/denominations are wrong, the constant need to convert people, the treatment of non-Mormons, the treatment of their own if their own leaves the church, (I've known 2 people who were disowned by their families for leaving the Mormon church), the funny underwear, extreme conservative views, etc. I could care less about their beliefs and how they differ from the rest of Christianity. It's more to do with Mormonism seeming like a cult.
I get none of that here in Utah.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
I don’t have any problems with Mormons. I have problems with Mormon theology.

For example. God was a man and men can become Gods. To quote Mormon Scriptures:

Moses 7:35 Behold, I am God; a Man of Holiness is my name; Man of Counsel is my name; and Endless and Eternal is my name, also.

Doctrine and Covenants 120:19-22 19 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man amarry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of dpromise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them—Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths—then shall it be written in the Lamb’s Book of Life, that he shall commit no hmurder whereby to shed innocent iblood, and if ye abide in my covenant, and commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them, in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they are out of the world; and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their jexaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the kseeds forever and ever.
20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from aeverlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be bgods, because they have call power, and the angels are subject unto them.
21 Verily, verily, I say unto you, except ye abide my alaw ye cannot attain to this glory.
22 For astrait is the gate, and narrow the bway that leadeth unto the exaltation and continuation of the clives, and few there be that find it, because ye receive me not in the world neither do ye know me.

And to quote Lorenzo Snow:

As man now is, God once was; as God is now man may be.”
(The Teachings of Lorenzo Snow, ed. Clyde J. Williams [1984], 1.)

http://lds.org/churchhistory/presidents/controllers/potcController.jsp?leader=5&topic=quotes

Nowhere in the Bible is it suggested that God was once a man.

This is one of several foundational problems I have with Mormonism the second is the concept of Jesus and Satan as offspring of God.

From this LDS site (scroll to second question): http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hi...004d82620aRCRD

Jess L. Christensen, Institute of Religion director at Utah State University, Logan, Utah. On first hearing, the doctrine that Lucifer and our Lord, Jesus Christ, are brothers may seem surprising to some—especially to those unacquainted with latter-day revelations. But both the scriptures and the prophets affirm that Jesus Christ and Lucifer are indeed offspring of our Heavenly Father and, therefore, spirit brothers. Jesus Christ was with the Father from the beginning. Lucifer, too, was an angel “who was in authority in the presence of God,” a “son of the morning.” (See Isa. 14:12; D&C 76:25–27.) Both Jesus and Lucifer were strong leaders with great knowledge and influence. But as the Firstborn of the Father, Jesus was Lucifer’s older brother. (See Col. 1:15; D&C 93:21.)

The Bible says that Satan was a fallen angel and Jesus was God in the flesh. Nothing about them being brothers or offspring of the same father

Last edited by Mr5150; 10-13-2010 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity