Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
I don't hate Mormons and don't judge their or anyones religious affiliations, but, what I did not like is how some of them get pushy. When I lived in SLC they would come to my door a lot-at night-and try to "convert" me. I listened to them and explained I was Christian and didn't believe in Joseph Smith as a prophet, well these guys in particular wanted to know if they could turn my kids to Mormonism!
On top of all that they explained how the type of clothes I had were not proper for the church ans explained what their women wore lol.
I actually had some friends that were Mormon, and they(Mormons) do do a lot of good for their communities, but I just did not like them trying to change me into something I wasn't or change my views on Christianity.
How long ago did you live in SLC? My experience is nothing like that.

Statistically you have a much higher chance of a Mormon missionary knocking on your door in ever other state except Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 01:06 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,482 times
My extended family is Mormon and I obviously love them dearly, but I do not agree with their beliefs and will always defend the truth. It seems like when someone disagrees with a Mormon, it's an "attack." I personally don't see it that way at all. We do not discuss religion at family get togethers although my aunt sends my father emails about Mormonism or she'll send a card and add a verse from the BOM. I find it very offensive (as does my father and mother). They are wonderful people though and I pray for them constantly.

Last edited by CantWait2Leave; 10-14-2010 at 01:14 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 10:30 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
How long ago did you live in SLC? My experience is nothing like that.

Statistically you have a much higher chance of a Mormon missionary knocking on your door in ever other state except Utah.
I lived there from 1995-1997.
I see them here as well, and sometimes they try to convert me, but those ones that kept coming to my door in SLC at the time were very tenacious to the point where they really annoyed me.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:50 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
I lived there from 1995-1997.
I see them here as well, and sometimes they try to convert me, but those ones that kept coming to my door in SLC at the time were very tenacious to the point where they really annoyed me.
Well you may want to try the phrase "No thank you".

Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
I have read most of the recent posts that deal in favor or against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. And as much as I wish I could respond, I need to have one question answered: why the dislike, or hatred, or whatever towards this church, towards what we believe? I think once I get answers to this question, it'll help me to see your point view and then perhaps answer appropriately. I might answer, I might not, I'm not good at debating. But I really would like to know, cause I do not involve myself w/anti-Mormon discussion on a daily basis and am very curious why there is so much attack against my church.
Although (to a Mormon) the criticism may seem to be zeroing in, and picking on, "mostly them", the truth of the matter is that many Christians will respond just as vehemently against any religion, or denomination, that they perceive to be not of the truth. They perceive the LDS church as "not of God", so respond accordingly.

Bud

Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Well you may want to try the phrase "No thank you".
Wow ur funny... ya think I didn't politely turn them down?
They were just very insistent. I'm a nice person ok, but I've learned since then to just cut them off from the beginning and not give them a chance to get into the whole thing.

I just think that's why some folks do not like them though, and group all Mormons together as an undesirable group of people they don't want anything to do with....

Old 10-15-2010, 01:13 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,922,759 times
Default the exclusive name

Over the years i have met people from hundres of different labels they have identified with .
It is a for gone conclusion that once you put a label on criticism is fallowing.In both direction .
A lot of "religious" folk are going to hell simply because they worship the religion , and n ot the God the religion is suppose to represent .
Labels never saved any one, the cloud the matter.
Jesus made it clear , it was neither the temple in Jeruaelam nor mount Gerizim,. God seeks those that worship Him in spirit and in truth.
When jesus died on the cross , the vail of the temple was torn from top to bottom . Essentially , God fired the jewish priesthood, laid off , out of work , No longer was the Holy spirit exclusive to the priest, but to all who believed Jesus. and so it continues todaY.
I have only known a few believers that walk in the tutelage of the Holy spirit , but i do meet them from time to time, And though we do not attend the same church, nor have the same friends or other influences, the one influence that is the same is the Holy Spirit that teaches exactly the same things Jesus taught. Just as Jesus said He would.
People will choose self deception no matter the faith they claim. The question lay in one's personal pursuit of God, regardless of the things men teach. I'd much rather have my information, first hand, than second hand any way. on account of , it has been God's plan to be our teacher from the beginning. If you don't learn from Adam's mistake, accepting a twist to God's word, what's it going to take?

JMO (just my opinion)

Old 10-15-2010, 07:19 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
My extended family is Mormon and I obviously love them dearly, but I do not agree with their beliefs and will always defend the truth. It seems like when someone disagrees with a Mormon, it's an "attack." I personally don't see it that way at all. We do not discuss religion at family get togethers although my aunt sends my father emails about Mormonism or she'll send a card and add a verse from the BOM. I find it very offensive (as does my father and mother). They are wonderful people though and I pray for them constantly.

You realize that finding something offensive IS in effect perceiving an attack. Something to think about.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I am not sure why really. I certainly don't hate them.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,489,469 times
Why are so many anti-Mormon?.....

If I were to say my church believes that all "Mormons are wrong, that their statements of faith are an abomination to Jesus" I would be accused of belonging to a church that hates Mormons \ not loving, yada yada.......

Yet, why is it consider "anti-mormon" for somebody to question the theology but nobody questions why are so many Mormons "anti-christian". Consider this statement:
"I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight” Joseph Smith
"They are all wrong... all their creeds were an abomination" ...you need to understand just who it is that began from a position of anti-other person's faith. We Christians reject the very premise of this statement.

So what may appear as "anti" isn't really "anti"...we are doing what is expected of us,...refute.
Acts 18:28
For he vigorously refuted the Jews in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ.
Titus 1:9
He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity