Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:45 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times

Advertisements

Theological differences aside there was a storm in my little town a few years ago and my older brother came with a Mormon friend of his. That guy really helped us out dealing with the storm damage, etc. And he didn't preach Mormonism or anything to us either. I only knew he was Mormon because I asked my brother "why is he doing so much for us when he's never met us?" and he answered "He's a Mormon, it's what he believes in."

Personally I think the beliefs of Mormonism are strange, but many of them seem to be fine people. My post earlier was more analytical than emotional, so dealt with some differences, but I have no real problem with Mormons as people. They've done so much to try to fit in and do what society says you need to "assimilate" as "respectable Americans" that it's kind of sad in a way how much hostility they still receive. Like with Romney. I didn't vote for him because I just didn't care for him, but I was dismayed how much his religion was used against him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
Ok, so let me see if I read it like you intended: what you are saying is that the hostilities toward the LDS church are there because it is considered an offshoot religion from the Catholic church?
No, I'd consider it more an offshoot of Protestantism. Smith did not come from a Catholic background.

Although ostensibly I think it's more "Restorationists" like the "Churches of Christ."

Quote:
And the LDS church considers itself to be the "parent" religion so everyone else is like, "what! I don't think so. We were here first!" So everyone who has animosity towards our church are doing it because this church has no right to say that it contains all the gospel of Jesus Christ because everyone else believes they have it, is that right?
So in order to get rid of this "child" religion that is trying to behave like the "parent" religion, it must be attacked to bring its members to see the light, is that right?
First it would be wrong to think I'm justifying anything. Mostly I meant to be explaining.

However to some extent yes. If a newer, in chronological terms, religion claims to actually be the older or purer or more original faith that can lead to tension. Because it is essentially criticizing the other. If you criticize something, or are created as a criticism of something, it is natural the group criticized will not be happy. It doesn't necessarily mean said group wants to make you "behave" but it does mean that the group may feel hurt.

The belief that the Catholic Church is in some sense necessary for salvation, and that other denominations are in some way deficient, does engender a certain irritation. As a Catholic I'm aware of this and understand it will. I don't think the Church should drop the idea, I believe it in fact, but a certain tension is going to happen due to it. So I do not expect Protestants to feel totally okay with Catholicism and I don't feel totally okay with Protestantism. However I think we can put that tension in its place and work together, be friends, etc.

Quote:
So then my question would be, why resort to attacks? Why even bother if one is happy, at peace, and feels or knows that this is right?
If I've attacked Mormonism here I'm sorry. I have some disagreements with Mormonism, but I think it mostly has good values and that it has produced great people. You want to be Mormon great for you!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times
This post(number 133) sums up my beef with the Mormon Church....otherwise I believe in live and let live; but some people and groups feel they must belittle and hate others.....how does that saying go....."You will reap what you sow">>>>>

https://www.city-data.com/forum/16253357-post133.html

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 10-13-2010 at 09:37 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That logic is really backwards when you stop to think about it. If the LDS kids living in Salt Lake City are nice to non-LDS kids when they have plenty of LDS friends to hang out with, it goes to show they are not exclusionary. An LDS kid who was in the minority somewhere would almost have to be friends with the non-LDS kids or he wouldn't have friends at all. The LDS kids in heavily LDS-populated areas don't have to feel desperate for friends.
I think we are saying the same thing.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I think we are saying the same thing.
Yeah, right.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:14 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Theological differences aside there was a storm in my little town a few years ago and my older brother came with a Mormon friend of his. That guy really helped us out dealing with the storm damage, etc. And he didn't preach Mormonism or anything to us either. I only knew he was Mormon because I asked my brother "why is he doing so much for us when he's never met us?" and he answered "He's a Mormon, it's what he believes in."

Personally I think the beliefs of Mormonism are strange, but many of them seem to be fine people. My post earlier was more analytical than emotional, so dealt with some differences, but I have no real problem with Mormons as people. They've done so much to try to fit in and do what society says you need to "assimilate" as "respectable Americans" that it's kind of sad in a way how much hostility they still receive. Like with Romney. I didn't vote for him because I just didn't care for him, but I was dismayed how much his religion was used against him.
Thomas R,You have the attitude about the lds that I have found most catholics have....they think some of our beliefs are a little weird but don't really lose any sleep about it and don't really put us in a different catagory from the protestant groups....who are wrong also.I've only been a mormon for a few years and while I even think some of the beliefs are strange...I hold that opinion of some catholic and protestant beliefs also.We do consider ourselves to be a 'restorationist' church rather than protestant as you noted in one of your posts.Members of some of the protestant churches seem to generally be the ones who get all unhinged about the mormons.....but they generally don't like the catholics either.I've always got a chuckle from hearing a baptist tell me that catholics aren't christians.I'm perfectly happy to let people follow whatever path they feel is the right one.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:14 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,980 times
Default People do want to hear the sales pitch

I think to some extent the dislike stems from LDS members trying to sell their view point to people who are not interested or do not buy it. The pitchman feels thwarted/frustrated by the experience and has no more interest in the prospect/individual and probably never did except as a potential convert. Maybe they associate them with their failure.

Anyway, I know and love some people who are LDS and have always thought that as a group they are a cut above average but I am sure the same could be said of any group that practices their Christian faith.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:32 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,873 times
I don't hate Mormons and don't judge their or anyones religious affiliations, but, what I did not like is how some of them get pushy. When I lived in SLC they would come to my door a lot-at night-and try to "convert" me. I listened to them and explained I was Christian and didn't believe in Joseph Smith as a prophet, well these guys in particular wanted to know if they could turn my kids to Mormonism!
On top of all that they explained how the type of clothes I had were not proper for the church ans explained what their women wore lol.
I actually had some friends that were Mormon, and they(Mormons) do do a lot of good for their communities, but I just did not like them trying to change me into something I wasn't or change my views on Christianity.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:39 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, right.
That's funny Katzpur. I hope you don't hate me. I still like you. This is why I get all of my faith talking out here on the forum. My best friends are Assembly of God and we just don't talk about religion. It would be dark road that doesn't end well for anyone.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:55 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I hope you don't hate me.
Mormons are taught not to hate anyone. It's something I struggle with from time to time, but I do try to be forgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity