Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:01 AM

9,696 posts, read 10,045,032 times

Advertisements

The earth looks old because it is old and believing in a 6,000 year earth is legalism into the letter of the Word of God........ The earth is about 3.4 billions years old which are the scienctific age of the oldest rock found , and the universe is about 13.7 billions years old and the reversing of the big bang theroy is 600 million years after the universe was first created, according to science The Lord God created demons and the angels to aid in the creation of life on the earth, but the demons and a very lot of angels rebeled against the purpose and ways of the Lord and were rejected to the earth....... Adam was created 6,000 years ago in the image of God which is Spirit with Eternal light of Goodness, but he rebeled against God Word and God took his devine power away and put him on the earth. When Adam was created were there was animals on the earth that were in the same kind as human , but the species of nethanderal man became extinct when the species of Modern man was created to the earth 10,000 years ago, but lived side by side in Europe for many years as a differant species.....Cain`s wife was one of these modern man animals who was not created in the image of God ..... In old earth belief Christians can believe any thing that science discovers BUT and that The Lord God is the missing link , and it was by divine selection and not evolution, but you have to also reject the legalism of the Word of God in these areas that do not push into your solid belief in your salvation and your confidence in the Lord Jesus and his purpose and the old earth is not a trick of God but a trick of legalism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 05:21 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
I'm not here to have a go at religious viewpoints, so I'll just say I endorse the above insofar as the reason why a Young earth scenario is insisted upon by some is because of 'legalism' or, as we might say, Bible literalism. Genesis has to be true, not only in approximate or even symbolic/metaphorical terms but literally. This means it was done just as it says and within the same time - frame.

If the evidence discovered does not support that view, then it must have been misinterpreted and if it looks like the interpretation is spot on, why, then it must have been faked by God (or Stan (1) please yourselves) trying to make us doubt.

That is the result of the literalist approach. One can alternatively try making genesis fit the evidence. 7 days merely becomes a metaphorical way of saying 6 billion years give or take a billion or two. Like I say, I'm not here to have a go at religion.

(1)that's another fine mess he's got us into.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:34 AM

28,115 posts, read 30,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
The universe looks old because The Eternal One made it whole... Secundo, the universe looks old because it bears testimony to the effects of sin, and thus the judgment of G-d seen through the catastrophe of the Flood, and catastrophes innumerable thereafter. The world looks old because, as Paul says in Romans 8, it is groaning.
That makes no sense to me at all. I mean what evidence is there to support the idea of a young earth and why is it so important to people to think the earth is young?

Old 10-17-2010, 11:42 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,564,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That makes no sense to me at all. I mean what evidence is there to support the idea of a young earth and why is it so important to people to think the earth is young?
Don't you know, it says so in their book End of discussion

Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 AM

11 posts, read 17,250 times
If what is written in the Bible is true, then in relative terms, the earth is young. Evidence for a young earth includes polystrate fossils, living fossils, and things that came about through the flood event.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:10 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,539,368 times
I just passed the mirror and I think I may be one of those living fossils

Old 10-17-2010, 12:13 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,031,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I believe the earth is probably billions of years old, and that it quite possibly began with a big bang, I believe in the evolution of animals, that dinosaurs existed, that there was probably never a global flood, that man has always been man but has also evolved both mentally and physically and I believe that God is the creator of this old world and the things in it..
I agree with Miss Blue, however, I believe that the universes are billions and billions of years old. Our world would be quite young, even though it has been here for over a billion years and will likely see billions more. That may seem old to us but I believe, to God, it is very young and still maturing.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Don't you know, it says so in their book
Yes, I realize that. I don't agree with the young earth doctrine myself, and it's in my book, too.

Quote:
End of discussion
I hope that means you're ready to move on. Seriously, is sarcasm your only mode of communication?

Old 10-17-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
First, the most natural understanding from Scripture on the age of the universe is this: The universe looks old because The Eternal One made it whole. When through The Son of Adam, namely Yeshua Messiac The Eternal One made Adam, Adam was not a fetus; Adam was a man. He had the appearance of a man, which in accordance with human wisdom would have required time for Adam to get old. But not by the sovereign creative power of Him who inhabits eternity. He put Adam in the garden, which was not merely seeds; it was a fertile, fecund, mature garden. The Genesis account clearly bears witness that G-d creates, and makes things whole. Secundo, the universe looks old because it bears testimony to the effects of sin, and thus the judgment of G-d seen through the catastrophe of the Flood, and catastrophes innumerable thereafter. The world looks old because, as Paul says in Romans 8, it is groaning. It gives empirical evidence of the reality of sin. If we attempt to infer that the earth is old because of scientific consensus, we must recognize that this consensus also claims that the effects of sin...death by the millions and billions...were present long before the emergence of Adam (or a first human), and certainly long before there was the possibility of Adam's sin. These effects are Biblically attributable only to the Fall. The Blessings of The Eternal One bring you joy...
Little Witness, I disagree with your point of view, but I would like to understand where you're coming from. Do you recognize that there are metaphors and symbolism in the Bible? Is there anything in the Bible that you believe to be figurative as opposed to literal?

Old 10-17-2010, 12:33 PM

11 posts, read 17,250 times
It's always going to be hard to understand the truth with only seeing a part of it. Scientifically speaking, we only know what we see, yet what we see is only partly true and not the whole truth. That is why God showed us that the just shall live by faith. Faith allows us to tap into those things we can't see or reason with our natural mind. When Adam and Eve sinned, everything about them died or began to die, this also included their awareness of spiritual things. That curse of course has been passed along to us, and those who are not born again, cannot perceive the whole truth. (Only what they can see.)

Ultimately the Bible has the whole truth within it's text. The Bible told us the universe had a beginning, yet it goes further and states God began it. The Bible said the universe is continually being stretched out, and the reason for it is that God is doing the stretching. (Which means by His power and the way He maintains the universe) There are many things the Bible states that scientists are now coming to find are true, but those same scientists will never understand the complete truth by their ability to know. (And I've heard it that we will never know everything, that we only know .000000000001 % of what is to be known. That is a true statement indeed. Yet through faith in God, just by learning from the One who knows and created everything, you are comforted.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity