Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:46 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,202,686 times

Advertisements

I have inserted 2 links, with snippets below them, into this post. The one on top is from a Christian site (they don't even know they are describing themselves), and the other is from an ex-Christian.

Why in the world does Christianity honor and worship somebody like Calvin, who had Michael Servitus burned to death because he didn't believe in the trinity? Christianity has the audacity to sit in their pews and point fingers at those "cults out there" who don't believe in their pagan views of God, and then they sit comfortably back in their seats waiting for God to rapture them out of here so they don't have to think about all the nonsense they are spewing out to the world.
It's all rather ridiculous.

What are the hallmarks of a cult, again, and does much of Christianity fit the bill??

Twenty Characteristics of a Cult | Deception Bytes

Absolute loyalty
. Cults cannot operate unless there is unquestionable loyalty and allegiance to the sect’s doctrine, rules, and format. Enforcement of this rule can be through veiled threats or even actual physical punishment. The fear of eternal damnation is one of the strongest and effective tools used by the cult leader to demand 100% loyalty. Punitive actions are quickly administered to those who question or revolt against the leader’s doctrines or authority.

Moderator cut: snippet = two or three sentences from link

The Christian Cult: Brainwash And Mind Control In The Name Of The Lord?- ExChristian.Net - Articles

Fear of earning the displeasure or wrath of the cult’s deity.
Fear of NOT being considered enlightened
Fear of living in error
Fear of not being found worthy of the standards of the cult

1. You were created by god in his own image and likeness.
  2. God is good and great and loves you more than you can understand.
  3. You are, at birth, an evil sinner whom must one day beg god to forgive you.
You may be a tad confused by the relation of items A and C. Refer to items #1 and #5 on our list of cult member behaviors to see how belief in the above contradictory premise can be accepted without challenge by millions of people worldwide.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-27-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 01:54 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,379,434 times
Many Christian groups have cult-like characteristics, probably not because they intentionally want them, but because they don't want to lose their numbers.
I guess I am a "Christian Anarchist" in this regard, since I believe that we must all listen to Christ in us, leading us into peace with others and righteousness in God.

Blessings herefornow!
Brian

Old 10-27-2010, 02:06 PM

6,776 posts, read 13,568,790 times
Organized heresy.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:08 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,231,086 times
Higher is right, many do have cult like characteristics but I tend to focus on the big picture stuff.

To paraphrase Jeff Foxworthy

If you are living in a compound with little access to the outside world

You might be in a cult.

If you all have matching tennis shoes and you are waiting for a spaceship.

You might be in a cult.

If you dress like the girls on Little House on The Prairie

If you are asked to drink "Kool-Aide" a lot.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Higher is right, many do have cult like characteristics but I tend to focus on the big picture stuff.

To paraphrase Jeff Foxworthy

If you are living in a compound with little access to the outside world

You might be in a cult.

If you all have matching tennis shoes and you are waiting for a spaceship.

You might be in a cult.

If you dress like the girls on Little House on The Prairie

If you are asked to drink "Kool-Aide" a lot.

Lol, hilgi.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:12 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,697,041 times
Organized religion = cults.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:24 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,515,816 times
Historically a cult was defined based on common characteristics, they are:

A cult -
  • denies that God is triune
  • makes salvation a progress that takes this life time to do, and then continued progress in the hereafter
  • usually make demands of a required financial commitment
  • demands of personal time required beyond worship.
  • places a higher authority and accurateness above the Bible that is found in other so-called "scriptures" \ publications (i.e. magazines)
  • makes salvation only possible if you are a member through their organization rather than only through Jesus.
  • Normally the statement that they are "the only 'offically' approved \ restored church" is spoken by those who belong to it.
  • calls other churches "apostate"
  • generally practices shunning (sometimes even among blood relatives) when someone leaves the organization\church

Old 10-27-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Many Christian groups have cult-like characteristics, probably not because they intentionally want them, but because they don't want to lose their numbers.
I guess I am a "Christian Anarchist" in this regard, since I believe that we must all listen to Christ in us, leading us into peace with others and righteousness in God.

Blessings herefornow!
Brian
I just figure most of what's going on is a whole lot of fear. Christianity fears Islam (with good reason, much of the time), but Christians (specifically, the Catholics but following on their heels, the Protestants) are the ones who started the whole thing. Convert or die, if you know what I mean. They don't have anybody to blame but themselves. It's all a big shell game. Traditional Christianity doesn't have anything to do with the truth and Islam actually has a lot of similarities to Catholicism. You notice the darnedest things when you start paying attention....

Christian anarchist, you say?

Old 10-27-2010, 02:26 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,841,068 times
Webster's definition:

Cult/noun/ French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate.

1. A particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. An instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. The object of such devotion.

This describes just about every church of regular religious followers. Not that being in a cult necessarily evil. But those who spout off about there being only one way to worship, one "right" path, need to realize they are acting within a "cult". Demonizing other's beliefs is a key to seeing you have been brainwashed and are in fact part of a cult. Don't drink the kool-aid.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,568,657 times
  1. Absolute loyalty
  2. Exclusivity
  3. Isolation from outside
  4. Lack of privacy
  5. Financial investment
  6. Doctrinal confusion
  7. Love.
  8. Assigned relationships
  9. Newly defined family relationships
  10. Behavior Modification
  11. Peer pressure
  12. Conformity
  13. Value rejection
  14. Blind acceptance
  15. Hypnotic states.
  16. Chanting and Meditation
  17. Sensory deprivation
  18. Altered diet
  19. Paranoia
  20. Eschatology.
Here is the list, please name a religion that does not match most if not all of these key indicators of a cult.

Some are cult'ish with perhaps as few as 15 or 16 of these traits, others are full blown cults, matching all, and extreme in many.
"
“If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.”

Douglas Adams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity