Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,729,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Faux Catholic. What's your opinion on abortion, contraception, euthanasia, the trinity, etc. If you agree completely with the magesterium of the Catholic Church, then your Catholic. If you disagree on one or all points, you are no more Catholic than Nancy Pelosi.
RESPONSE:

Yes. Here's the Church's magisterial teaching on the surgical correction of an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy. In this case, both the fetus and the mother had to be allowed to die.

From the Catholic Encyclopedia:

" (In) 24 July, 1895, in answer to the question whether when the mother is in immediate danger of death and there is no other means of saving her life, a physician can with a safe consciencecause abortion not by destroying the child in the womb (which was explicitly condemned in the former decree), but by giving it a chance to be born alive, though not being yet viable, it would soon expire. The answer was that he cannot.

This magisterail command was later reversed. I wonder until it was how may women were left to die, or how many Catholic doctors had the good sense to ignore the Church's teaching realizing that two deaths weren't necessary if one could be saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,636,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Yes. Here's the Church's magisterial teaching on the surgical correction of an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy. In this case, both the fetus and the mother had to be allowed to die.

" (In) 24 July, 1895, in answer to the question whether when the mother is in immediate danger of death and there is no other means of saving her life, a physician can with a safe consciencecause abortion not by destroying the child in the womb (which was explicitly condemned in the former decree), but by giving it a chance to be born alive, though not being yet viable, it would soon expire. The answer was that he cannot.

This magisterail command was later reversed. I wonder until it was how may women were left to die, or how many Catholic doctors had the good sense to ignore the Church's teaching realizing that two deaths weren't necessary if one could be saved.
Faux Catholic then.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,636,404 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

Good deeds have nothing to do with Mosaic Law? You can't be serious.

The Mosaic Law contain very much more than the requirements for circumcision (for Jews only) and dietary laws. And I'm afraid that James insisted on keeping the Mosaic Law, just like Jesus had said.
10 commandments, yes, nothing else.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:07 PM

63,944 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

Quote:
Faux Catholic then.
Any Catholic doctors that adhered to that archaic doctrine were stupid superstitious rule following morons guilty of negligent malpractice . . . nothing Godly or loving about it.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Faux Catholic then.
RESPONSE:

Yes. Bad Catholics, but good doctors for saving the mothers' lives.

But when the teaching was reversed, they became good Catholics as well as good doctors.

You don't suppose that the Church's "magisterium" was wrong to originally insist on two deaths rather than one, do you?

Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
10 commandments, yes, nothing else.

RESPONSE:

Hardly. Mosaic Laws are categorized into 613 mitzvot.
A list as well as an overview of how to get to this number can be found at http://www.answers.com/topic/613-mitzvot-1

Matt 5:18 "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."

Old 11-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Any Catholic doctors that adhered to that archaic doctrine were stupid superstitious rule following morons guilty of negligent malpractice . . . nothing Godly or loving about it.
RESPONSE:

True. But good Catholics, at least according to juj and some others.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,572,018 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

No. Once again you are not considering the complete passage. Jesus is not talking about just sacrifices.

Matthew 5:17-18 ‘Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfil. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.” (NRSV)

In sum, nothing will pass from the entire Mosaic law until heaven and earth pass away.

Now we read Luke 24:36-48

While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

37 They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38 He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”
40 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. 41 And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it in their presence.
44 He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.” 45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46 He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 You are witnesses of these things.

In Matt 5 Jesus was starting out. In Luke 24 He was done and had fulfilled that what was set out in the OT about the Messiah. So Letters and Strokes had now passed from the Law after His ressurection.

Next question.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,736,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Now we read Luke 24:36-48

While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

37 They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38 He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”
40 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. 41 And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it in their presence.
44 He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.” 45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46 He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 You are witnesses of these things.

In Matt 5 Jesus was starting out. In Luke 24 He was done and had fulfilled that what was set out in the OT about the Messiah. So Letters and Strokes had now passed from the Law after His ressurection.

Next question.
Exactly. He fulfilled what had been written.

They will pick the next one from the Bible deniers web site. It never ends. The sad part is that they are not interested in the answers. On the contrary they find the truth disappointing and a distraction in their mission to discredit the Bible.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,572,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Exactly. He fulfilled what had been written.

They will pick the next one from the Bible deniers web site. It never ends. The sad part is that they are not interested in the answers. On the contrary they find the truth disappointing and a distraction in their mission to discredit the Bible.
Yea, it sucks when the Bible contradicts one's theology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity