Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:48 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,855 times

Advertisements

Do they just "cease to be", with no afterlife? Or does God reserve some special place for them? Do pets have a soul or spirit? Does the Bible say anything about this?

I was wondering these things, because today has been a very sad day for us. Our little dog "Annie" had to be put down, because of canine diabetes....her condition became worse and worse, until finally the last 6 days she ate nothing at all, with continual vomiting day and night. She drank water incessantly, often standing over her water bowl for hours. It was so heart-breaking. There is no cure for canine diabetes. (yes, we prayed for her...but that didn't work) Yes, I know: you CAN "treat" this condition, but it is not a cure, it is expensive, and you must continually monitor your pet several times a day, every day...just like a human who has diabetes. And....the pet may lose their appetite entirely...you can't force them to eat...it is very easy to upset the balance of insulin in their system. It was a very hard decision to let her go. My wife and I hope to see "little Annie" again...some day. Annie was such a sweet, loving dog...we miss her already...

Bud

"Annie" 2006-2010

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/KL7EU/P1020829-2.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:53 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,857 times
Bud,

I doubt any of us could honestly say we know if animals have an afterlife. But I'm sorry for your loss of such a sweet, beautiful dog. I'd like to believe that there will be animals in the world to come. Dogs are the sweetest creatures God ever made. Bless you - Heartsong

Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
I don't know. If I take it to the vet, they take care of it. If I do it myself, then I bury it. After that, I try not to think too hard about what happens.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:11 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Sorry for your loss. I know how painful that can be.

There is a support group called APLB (Association for pet loss bereavement) It really helped my wife after the loss of one of our dogs.

They have a great group of people that you can talk to online or phone.

Just remember the love that that little dog brought into your life.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:52 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times
Oh no I'm so sorry Bud.....that's heartbreaking. Your little Annie looks like a miniature version of my Tessa. I love my animals so much and I've had to deal with some really heartbreaking losses too. And in my opinion, just from what little the Bible says about it, I DO believe that our animals will have a special place in heaven with us. We know there will be animals there because the Bible talks about lions and lambs being at peace with one another in heaven. So why not our family pets too?

I would suggest you go to the Pet Forum and talk about your loss there. They have a special place called "rainbow bridge" that deals with loss. It might make you feel better.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:00 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,741 times
Sorry for your loss. Try to take comfort in that she isn't in pain anymore.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Bud cute dog , sorry for your loss , i do not have the answer to whether our pets will make the afterlife , i sure hope so.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
I believe our pets are a very special gift from God to show, teach, give us love, comfort and companionship.

I also believe that God has the capacity and the love for us to somehow reunite us with the pets who may have been angels in disguise to us..

We just do not know the extent of what He has prepared for us, Bud. Your little dog with the "pacy" in her mouth even brought a little joy to me this dismal chilly and dark day What a little angel she was
https://www.city-data.com/forum/rainbow-bridge/

Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,950,587 times
A pet can give us wonderful blessings and each pet has their own personality, angels unaware perhaps.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,366,154 times
BukinAK, I am sorry for your loss. I had to put down my 10 year old beagle last year, that was a tough one to get over.

There is NO doubt in my mind we will be reunited with our pets in heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity