Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:48 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times

Advertisements

Aleph.

Blessed are the undefiled [perfect, or sincere] in the way: who walk in the Law of the LORD.

Blessed are they that keep His testimonies: and that seek Him with the whole heart.

They also do not iniquity: they walk in His ways.

Thou hast Commanded us to keep Thy precepts diligently.

O that my ways were directed to keep Thy statutes!

Then shall I not be ashamed: when I have respect unto all Thy Commandments.

I will praise Thee with uprightness of heart: when I shall have learned Thy righteous judgements.

I will keep Thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.

Beth.

Wherewithall shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to Thy Word.

With my whole heart have I sought Thee: O let me not wander from Thy Commandments.

Thy Word have I hidden in mine heart: that I might not sin against Thee.

Blessed art Thou O LORD: teach me Thy statutes.

With my lips have I declared all the judgements of Thy mouth.

I have rejoiced in the way of Thy testimonies: as much as in all riches.

I will meditate in Thy precepts: and have respect unto Thy ways.

I will delight my self in Thy statutes: I will not forget Thy Word.
Psalms 119:1-16
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:40 PM

988 posts, read 1,903,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Aleph.

Blessed are the undefiled [perfect, or sincere] in the way: who walk in the Law of the LORD.

Blessed are they that keep His testimonies: and that seek Him with the whole heart.

They also do not iniquity: they walk in His ways.

Thou hast Commanded us to keep Thy precepts diligently.

O that my ways were directed to keep Thy statutes!

Then shall I not be ashamed: when I have respect unto all Thy Commandments.

I will praise Thee with uprightness of heart: when I shall have learned Thy righteous judgements.

I will keep Thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.

Beth.

Wherewithall shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to Thy Word.

With my whole heart have I sought Thee: O let me not wander from Thy Commandments.

Thy Word have I hidden in mine heart: that I might not sin against Thee.

Blessed art Thou O LORD: teach me Thy statutes.

With my lips have I declared all the judgements of Thy mouth.

I have rejoiced in the way of Thy testimonies: as much as in all riches.

I will meditate in Thy precepts: and have respect unto Thy ways.

I will delight my self in Thy statutes: I will not forget Thy Word.
Psalms 119:1-16

Verna, don't you know that Old Testament stuff does not apply to us today? Modern Christianity does not have to keep those old laws - that was for those other guys... feel free to throw out anything that has to do with keeping commandments.

Did you forget that everybody is going to have eternal life anyway - so lighten up. (Plan A)

Did you forget that God has already chosen those whom he is going to save so they cannot be lost even if they reject Jesus? (Plan B)

Did you forget that even if a Modern Christian commits adultery 70 x7 all he has to do is say he is sorry and God will forgive him? (Plan C)

Did you forget that if you confess your sins to a priest he will give you absolution? (Plan D)

Heck, there are probably lots of plans that will suit every sin budget on this forum alone. As long as you "believe" you can even make up your own plan.

The one thing I know you did not forget is that those who say that they "know God" and do not keep His commandments are liars...and the truth is NOT in them.

1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

HK

Old 11-12-2009, 08:53 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
The one thing I know you did not forget is that those who say that they "know God" and do not keep His commandments are liars...and the truth is NOT in them.

1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

HK
And what exactly are those commandments?

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
[quote=HK]
Quote:
Verna, don't you know that Old Testament stuff does not apply to us today? Modern Christianity does not have to keep those old laws - that was for those other guys... feel free to throw out anything that has to do with keeping commandments.

Did you forget that everybody is going to have eternal life anyway - so lighten up. (Plan A)

Did you forget that God has already chosen those whom he is going to save so they cannot be lost even if they reject Jesus? (Plan B)

Did you forget that even if a Modern Christian commits adultery 70 x7 all he has to do is say he is sorry and God will forgive him? (Plan C)

Did you forget that if you confess your sins to a priest he will give you absolution? (Plan D)

Heck, there are probably lots of plans that will suit every sin budget on this forum alone. As long as you "believe" you can even make up your own plan.
Yes, unfortunately, there are quite a lot of "plans" aren't there...? almost as many as there are people it seems...there's only one plan that will be fulfilled, and that's God's plan, and EVERYONE will be a "part" of His plan...the question is...in which "part" will you "play" in HIS plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK

HK
Yes...Let God's Word be true and every man a liar. I will stand upon the Living, Breathing, Divinely Inspired, Written Word of THE Living God...

..."The Lord is my strength and song: and is become my salvation." I love Him so much.

God Bless you my brother in Christ,
Verna.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
And what exactly are those commandments?

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Hey Sparrow -

Why do you quote one passage and not quote the parallel passage???

The passage you quoted spoke of How Much we are to love - it does not replace Jesus' reply when asked WHICH commandments we are to keep.

What exactly are those commandments - I will let Jesus reply.

Mat 19:16 "... Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none
good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which?

Jesus quoted from the TEN COMMANDMENTS and said,

"Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as
thyself.

Only a dishonest Bible student would quote one passage and ignore the other...

HK

Old 11-13-2009, 12:48 AM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
I'm not dishonest for quoting scripture.

40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

The law was our schoolmaster.

When God's love fills your heart to overflowing, there is no need for the law as there is no longer any evil to restrain.

That's the whole point.

Love conquers all.

The Law is your schoolmaster.
It's the first step.

If you love your child, if your love for your child is overflowing in your heart, and you would give your life for your child, you no longer need a law that says "do not murder your child". The thought would never enter your mind. There is no evil to restrain, therefore you do not need that law.

The law is needed when there is evil to restrain.

This world has a long way to go.

But those TWO commandments, on those TWO commandments HANG ALL of the law.

This is what so called "keepers of the law" do not understand. This is why they freak out and yell and moan about "oh my! oh my!!!! you mean to say that we should just throw out the law???!!! OH MY! OH MY!!!! You Blasphemers! You are headed to hell!! Oh MY!!!!" Yeah, that old keeping the law really worked out well, didn't it? If it had, Jesus would not have had to come and show us love personified. This is all part of the plan.
Trying to keep the law is futile. Remember we were SUBJECTED to futility. (for a reason.) Now, sin gets it's power from the law.
LOVE overpowers and conquers sin. This is something you truly have to experience to understand. When Love has completely transformed us, When Christ is ALL in ALL, then there will be no need for the law. There will be no more evil to RESTRAIN.

These "keepers of the law" or whatever they call it aren't seeing the things that JESUS came to show us. They are like the pharisees, chaining the law to people instead of letting LOVE transform their heart to the point where they NO LONGER NEED the law. But some of these folks (not all, but some) are the same folks who basically claim God is basically holding a gun to folks heads saying "LOVE ME OR ELSE". So you should be able to see a little more clearly where they are coming from. Your view of God, after awhile starts to dictate how much you are going to learn, and how much confusion you will start to sink into if your view of God does not enlargen.

No, the command to love God with all of your heart is to help bring you to truth. (See my link below for what I mean by that.)

It's a beautiful thing.
This is why in Jesus, there is freedom.
There is no evil to restrain.
TRULY striving to follow the two commandments ends up slowly destroying a lot of false beliefs and it means that your heart is being expanded so that eventually Christ will rule in your heart, and sin (which gets it's power from the law) will be no more. There will no longer be any evil to restrain. THIS is the path that ALL MANKIND is on. A lot of folks just can't see it now. The path is narrow, afterall. But rest assured... God WILL BE all in all. That is a guarantee. He is doing a good work in ALL of humanity.
His plan is 100% PERFECT. But each in his own turn.
We are in Good hands. No matter what anyone says.
No matter what small-minded, prideful carnal man may say.

I corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. 24Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. 25For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27For he "has put everything under his feet."Now when it says that "everything" has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ 28When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

More on the two commandments, from my point of viewm and what I was talking about when I said the command to love God helps to destroy those false beliefs. Part of those beliefs that are on the WIDE road to destruction. (thank God!):
https://www.city-data.com/forum/11494723-post107.html

Agree or disagree, that's fine.
I'm not here to debate or argue back and forth all night.
I'm just sharing my views and where I am on this path back home to our Father. Like I said, take it or leave it. I'm not here to change your mind.
Just here to give someone out there a different perspective they may not have seen before.

Peace.

p.s. Please forgive me, the bold and CAPS are just used for emphasis. I know it bothers some folks. sorry.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:21 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,838 times
Quote:

Only a dishonest Bible student would quote one passage and ignore the other...

HK
Let's be honest...you do it, too, Harold.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:54 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I'm not dishonest for quoting scripture.

Right no one is dishonest for quoting Scripture - the problem is selective quoting.

The fact is that you ignored Jesus' statement AGAIN!

Which commandments?

Mat 19:16 "... Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none
good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which?

Jesus quoted from the TEN COMMANDMENTS and said,

"Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as
thyself.

Do you wish to ignore them again?

HK

Old 11-13-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Let's be honest...you do it, too, Harold.

I am glad you decided to be honest....

HK

Old 11-13-2009, 09:21 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:

HK
We are called to keep the "spirit" of the law not the "literal" dead letter of the law....there is a huge difference. Seek Jesus and he will show you what that difference is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity