Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:39 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,362 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were discussing discipline with our toddlers, and finding that it may help him to read a book that discusses how to set boundaries while still giving a loving environment to our son. My husband is a strong Christian, and knowing there are many christian-based family books out there, I was hoping someone could recommend some to us. Our son is a good child...most of the time...but is a master manipulator, if you don't set boundaries!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
Our son is a good child...most of the time...but is a master manipulator, if you don't set boundaries!!
That just means he's smart and normal. At that age you teach them no and start time outs, 2 minutes max with a timer so they can see the time move. Other than that lots of love and positive reinforcement for the behaviors you want them to continue. Another tip: don't let them see you when the bad thing they do makes you laugh, it totally ruins your credibilty when you say no as you are giggling.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
There a book by James Dobson that my wife read and liked. I think it was called "Bringing Up Boys". Hope that helps!

Old 07-08-2007, 10:33 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Default James Dobson --low popularity with my young son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
There a book by James Dobson that my wife read and liked. I think it was called "Bringing Up Boys". Hope that helps!
I also liked Dobson's approach a lot. He wrote another book entitled, The Strong-Willed Child which was very good IMO>

Sidenote: When my son was about five or six, we had instituted at the suggestion of one of Dobson's books, an "attitude chart." The concept worked quite well, so well in fact that my young son demanded that I provide him with a copy of Dr. Dobson's address because he kept inisisting that "he was gonna write that man a letter!" (giving him a piece of his mind!) You can thus see why I needed Dobson! LOL!

Old 07-09-2007, 05:28 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,362 times
Thanks! I'll go check them out!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:09 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
That just means he's smart and normal. At that age you teach them no and start time outs, 2 minutes max with a timer so they can see the time move. Other than that lots of love and positive reinforcement for the behaviors you want them to continue. Another tip: don't let them see you when the bad thing they do makes you laugh, it totally ruins your credibilty when you say no as you are giggling.
My four learned real quick that they could make me laugh, and always came up with something really cute to say Toddlers are so hard to discipline, they just don't get it..They are curious and have more energy than any adult who tries to keep up the chase Like Irish said, lots of love and reinforcement when they please you, and a little time out when they don't..My children got the fear in them if I spoke in a different tone when they were not minding

Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,116 times
I have a 4 year old girl, a 2 year old boy, and an 11 month old girl. I would be very interested to see more suggestions on books! My kids are great, but they are a handful. My four year old especially is a little red-head, with that famous red-head temper. She is also frighteningly smart, so she knows how to "work" her daddy. Of course, she does get disciplined, and generally is a sweet-spirited little thing, but still....

Old 07-09-2007, 01:26 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times
I wish I would have known about the book "The Strong Willed Child" when my daughter was growing up. By the time I found out about the book, it was a little too late .
Of my 4 kids, my daughter has ALWAYS been the most stubborn! When she would start to do something bad I would say "If you do it, you're going to get a spanking!" She would turn around and say "Does that mean if I just go ahead and let you spank me, I can go ahead and do it?" UGH! She was impossible!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:36 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,817,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I wish I would have known about the book "The Strong Willed Child" when my daughter was growing up. By the time I found out about the book, it was a little too late .
Of my 4 kids, my daughter has ALWAYS been the most stubborn! When she would start to do something bad I would say "If you do it, you're going to get a spanking!" She would turn around and say "Does that mean if I just go ahead and let you spank me, I can go ahead and do it?" UGH! She was impossible!
Oh you are supposed to READ that book?!? I thought you were supposed to hit them over the head with it until their will was broken!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:44 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,452,764 times
I, too, hear great things about Dobson's approach. I'm a Christian and have found the book What to Expect During the Toddler Years very helpful. It's not Christian, but it has good advice. I'm also reading The Shaping of a Christian Family by Elisabeth Elliot. It's not neccessarily geared for toddlers, but it does speak to having a plan and overall purpose in your family. I thought it would be good to establish this before he grows out of the toddler stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity