Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 09:52 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,819 times

Advertisements

Jesus said many things that said one has to work their way into the kingdom of God.

Here are just a few

"No one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and spirit."

" By your words you'll be justified and by your words you'll be condemned. "

" Walk in the light while you have it or darkness will come over you. "

" If you want to enter into life, keep the commandments. "

"The righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father."

" Your light must shine before men so they will see your good works and glorify your heavenly Father. "

" Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. "

"Blessed is he who hears the word of the Lord and keeps it."

"If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free. "

"As the Father sent me so I send you. Go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father,the Son and the Holy Spirit and teach them to carry out everything I have commanded you. "

Hard to say Jesus did not teach works for salvation. He is totally in line with the OT prophets.

Who can deny it?

Last edited by Free4you; 08-07-2019 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 03:32 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Pease detail the works that you actually do on a daily basis?. Righteous work is not an acceptable answer unless you actually explain to the reader what those righteous works are, only a fraud would answer with righteous works.

Jesus' works are clear for anyone to know what they were, so come on, what are yours?.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Quote:
Jesus' works are clear for anyone to know what they were, so come on, what are yours?
But, pcamps, the post is about Jesus not teaching about works.
It is focusing on keeping the commandments, shining, keeping the word of the Lord, being set free by knowing the truth, being born of water and spirit.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:49 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Actually, Jesus said that eternal life is a gift, and you need only ask for it and it's yours. See John 4:10-14. As for works, Jesus said that the work of God is to believe in Him whom the Father has sent (in Jesus) See John 6:27-29.

When in Matthew 19:17 Jesus told the man who had asked him what good thing he must do to enter into eternal life, Jesus said,
And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."
he was actually showing that it is impossible to enter into eternal life by keeping the commandments. No one can keep the commandments perfectly. It is impossible for man to work, earn, or deserve eternal life. It is strictly a gift from God which one receives by placing his faith in Jesus in response to the Gospel. It can be refused by not coming to Jesus for salvation.

The OP is both wrong, and wrong headed as is anyone who thinks they can do anything meritorious to deserve salvation. Eternal life is freely offered. Though faith in Christ Jesus you reach out and take possession of that gift. It is free.
Revelation 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:01 AM

1,196 posts, read 754,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Hard to say Jesus did not teach works for salvation. He is totally in line with the OT prophets. Who can deny it?
Jesus is "inline with the old test", and that of the new. what did the bible show ,(2Tim. 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness), his sayings are in the new test. as for Paul Jesus personally picked Paul to be his disciple. anything Paul taught, he was lead by means of Jehovah's H.S. and Jesus did teach "works for salvation." one of Jesus teachings for our works for salvation. was that we get the know his Father, the "ONE TRUE GOD" ,(John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent).

Jesus also said that, just calling on him ,(Jesus), wasn't going to give us life. it's doing the "WILL" of his Father, which is also the "works",(Matt. 7:21 Not every one that said unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that do the will of my Father which is in heaven). we can have all the faith we want. but it's NOT just faith that'll save us. satan has faith and believe in Jesus, yet he will soon be destroyed. MANY want to believe that they have to do NO works, sad! Jehovah's words showed that faith alone isn't going to save us, but also I'll works.

see (James 2:18-24 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe and tremble! But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only). peace

Old 08-08-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Actually, Jesus said that eternal life is a gift, and you need only ask
for it and it's yours.
See John 4:10-14.

As for works, Jesus said that the work of God is to believe in Him whom the Father has sent (in Jesus) See John 6:27-29.
Thank you for reminding us.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:11 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
People often get it mixed up...but works are the EVIDENCE of salvation. Not the cause of salvation.

It's really not such a strange concept. Probably most people are familiar with the idea that in some cultures, if someone saves your life, you want to show gratitude somehow to the person who saved your life. You want to DO something for that person.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:26 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,168,573 times
Jesus presided over a dispensation under the law to the Jews only.......He in no way diminished the law. Men took it and ran with it until they had 613 laws they couldn't keep. Jesus had the law designed to show man he needed a MERCIFUL SAVIOR since NO ONE could keep the law. Instead the Tony Robbins of the world came along and convinced everybody they just needed to try harder, a teaching right from hell. None under the law will see heaven, NONE.

After centuries under the law Jesus then threw the world an outrageous curve ball of salvation by grace, no works, no law, just believe the gospel. A faith based operation. Mankind has been baffled by it ever since Paul was shouted down and thought to be a heretic, when in fact he was charged with bringing in a new dispensation as TAUGHT BY JESUS HIMSELF.....and in addition many mysteries hidden in God were revealed to Paul alone. The 12 didn't know what Paul knew......and most ignore what Peter proclaimed near the end of his life............

2Pe 3:15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him,
2Pe 3:16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.
2Pe 3:17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability.
2Pe 3:18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Notice even Peter uses grace in these verses which had to be confusing to Peter............

So Jesus was right and Paul is right........just the 4 gospels written to Jews under the dispensation of the law and Paul's 13 books written under a new dispensation of grace. And millions of confused church folks trying to figure it out. Not many will.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:47 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
But, pcamps, the post is about Jesus not teaching about works.
It is focusing on keeping the commandments, shining, keeping the word of the Lord, being set free by knowing the truth, being born of water and spirit.
Miss H, he’s talking about works. I think it’s reasonable to ask him to detail the works that he’s doing, whether he calls it works or obeying commencements

Old 08-08-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Miss H, he’s talking about works. I think it’s reasonable to ask him to detail the works that he’s doing, whether he calls it works or obeying commencements
I only saw his first sentence mentioning the word work...after that it didn't seem
to me to have anything to do with works.

I like you a lot, you know that, but if I posted that same thing....I feel it is about 'that', not moi.
I'm not fair game to be asked what I personally do...as if I have to constantly defend
myself when I post.

It has happened, tho, that it has been turned on ME...and I was so surprised...cuz whatever I said had
nada to do with my personal shortcomings or struggles or weaknesses.

Sorry, I stuck some French and Spanish in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity