Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It's worth it to the atheist, because he or she is doing what they know is the right thing to do, the compassionate aid of another human being.

We're good without god.
No one said one cannot be 'good' without God. My brother in law is a atheist, and he a good person. The question here is whether or the actions of someone who rejects God can please God, and the answer it no: it is impossible to please God without faith. But then again you would not think an atheist is concerned about pleasing a God when they don't even believe He exists.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

June agrees with MC: Atheists can be, and are good without any accompanying belief in a God. She would disagree with MC, however, in her analysis that we are "horrible, terrible, soulless." ~At least June's not.

Do I have to boldly tag every bit of sarcasm in order for people to understand that's what it is? Don't be disingenuous, June. I believe you know darn well that I was directing that at believers who think atheists are horrible, terrible, evil, and soulless hell-bound individuals. I've been called all those things and worse, by people on these very boards.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:30 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No one said one cannot be 'good' without God. My brother in law is a atheist, and he a good person. The question here is whether or the actions of someone who rejects God can please God, and the answer it no: it is impossible to please God without faith. But then again you would not think an atheist is concerned about pleasing a God when they don't even believe He exists.
I see, you're avoiding the question I put to you. Go back to my post #49 if somehow you missed it or just ignored it. Get back to me when you've got an answer rather than a tap dance.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:44 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Do I have to boldly tag every bit of sarcasm in order for people to understand that's what it is? Don't be disingenuous, June. I believe you know darn well that I was directing that at believers who think atheists are horrible, terrible, evil, and soulless hell-bound individuals. I've been called all those things and worse, by people on these very boards.
No, you do not need to boldy tag every bit of sarcasm. June realized that you were being sarcastic, but she was NOT looking to be disingenuous. She wrote what she did in order to underscore her point (as well as yours.)

Apologies to you if her words did not come across accurately, or caused contention. It was not done intentionally; rather, it was written in haste, but in re-reading she can see how what she wrote came across in the way in which you interpretted it. --She was merely attempting to highlight the fact that God can find favor even in what others and/or society deem as being "horrible, terrible, and soulless."

--So please forgive her error in choice of wording....

Peace, MC...

Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually Finn, they did. Jesus said, "None is good, no not one" -- I suspect that you simply overlooked this. However, there is so much confusion in these posts from folks trying to attribute "goodness" (in a Godly sense) -- to people who do "good" things (in a human sense) --
As most of us know, "No one is justified before God by works/flesh!"

Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June agrees with MC: Atheists can be, and are good without any accompanying belief in a God. She would disagree with MC, however, in her analysis that we are "horrible, terrible, soulless." ~At least June's not.
Well I'm soulless. Where the heck did you get your soul from June?

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
So it seems, Finn, that you are saying that God sees things like this: "better a Christian who does nothing than an atheist who helps his neighbor in need."
Is this what you are saying?

To me, the only difference between the Christian and the atheist is that one has been given faith.

As far as works, Paul writes that God "will render to every man according to his deeds." Why would this be? I thought you said that faith is all that matters..?

Or when we read in Luke, "But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity."
Why does He not say, "depart from me, all ye unbelievers" ??

Or when Jesus says in John: "The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil." Why is Jesus looking at their works? Isn't He interested only in their belief??

I don't think Jesus was condemning the woman in the book of Matthew when He said: "Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me." Shouldn't He have told her, "woman, you just need to believe in Me. Then the works will come." If she came to Him, she was apparently also believing! Even if she was despised by the others in the room...

Why in Revelation do we read: "And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works." ??

It doesn't say that men are judged according to their FAITH, as you say God judges, but according to their WORKS.

I believe that within the good works, Jesus abides...

Blessings,
Brian

Old 11-22-2010, 09:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I'd rather not judge. It's best I worry about myself, and not the next guy. I'm not my brother's keeper.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Actually Finn, they did. Jesus said, "None is good, no not one" -- I suspect that you simply overlooked this. However, there is so much confusion in these posts from folks trying to attribute "goodness" (in a Godly sense) -- to people who do "good" things (in a human sense) --
As most of us know, "No one is justified before God by works/flesh!"
No one is 'good' in comparison to Christ. We are all sinners, but there are things we, as believers, can do which please God.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
So it seems, Finn, that you are saying that God sees things like this: "better a Christian who does nothing than an atheist who helps his neighbor in need."
Is this what you are saying?
No, those are your words, not mine.

I said a person is saved through faith, and faith brings forth fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity