Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:11 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times

Advertisements

2 Timothy 2:15

Study — Greek, “Be earnest,” or “diligent.”

to show — Greek, “present,” as in Romans 12:1.

thyself — as distinguished from those whom Timothy was to charge (2Timothy 2:14).

approved — tested by trial: opposed to “reprobate” (Titus 1:16).

God tests those whom he calls - those who pass the test are approved.

2 CORINTHIANS 13:5

“Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that JESUS CHRIST IS IN YOU - unless indeed you fail the test?”

THIS IS THE “TEST!” (1 John 2:3,4)

“And by this we know that we have come to know Him, IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS.

“TEST” The Greek negative particle “a” when placed before a word changes the meaning of the word from the positive sense to its negative sense. When Paul said that Jesus was in us unless we “fail the test”, he used the Greek word “adokimos” which means: unapproved. “Adokimos” is the negative of the Greek word “dokimos” which means: to be approved. (Tested and found worthy)

To understand what it means to “fail the test” (adokimos) we must understand what It means to be “dokimos” (approved). James said this about being “approved”:

“Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been APPROVED (dokimos), he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to those who LOVE Him.” James 1:12 NAS

In 1st John 5:3, we find out how to LOVE God:

“For this is the LOVE of God, that we keep His commandments.” (See also John 14:21)

Here is a summary of those verses which prove that we must obey God's Law in order to pass the test and receive the “crown of life”.

James said:
The crown of life is promised to those who LOVE God.

John said:
The LOVE of God is to keep His commandments.

Therefore:
The crown of life is promised to those who keep His commandments.

And that is “THE TEST”, whether we will keep God's Commandments or not!

Those who pass the test are approved.

Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 09:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
"Reverence the Spirit and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man; to love him and all others."

The commandments are to love the Spirit and the Spirit within others, not their false understanding of truth. Indeed, very few will pass the test, but
those whom he selects to teach righteousness will be the ones who love humanity; teaching what is good, acceptable, and the will of the Father.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:50 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"Reverence the Spirit and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man; to love him and all others."

The commandments are to love the Spirit and the Spirit within others, not their false understanding of truth. Indeed, very few will pass the test, but those whom he selects to teach righteousness will be the ones who love humanity; teaching what is good, acceptable, and the will of the Father.

I just wanted to point out what you said "..and the Spirit within others". I think that is so important. To love your neighbor as yourself. To see the spirit in others. To look into humanity's eyes and see a creation of God. Something that God created, staring back at you. Honor each other, Respect each other, LOVE each other. Because we are ALL God's creation. There is nothing more important than LOVE.
Go and LOVE. All of creation is our neighbor.
peace,
sparrow

Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Something that God created, staring back at you.
..... As observed within the eyes of a newly born infant.
And there is no language which can truly describe this phenomenon.
Yet, it is
perceived by the senses, rather than by thought or intuition of merely knowing.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:54 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
..... As observed within the eyes of a newly born infant. And there is no language which can truly describe this phenomenon. Yet, it is perceived by the senses, rather than by thought or intuition of merely knowing.
Yes! Exactly.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:59 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
..... As observed within the eyes of a newly born infant.
And there is no language which can truly describe this phenomenon.
Yet, it is
perceived by the senses, rather than by thought or intuition of merely knowing.
And even many of the animals, especially mammals understand love but cannot speak.

I believe the whole creation is in bondage and the whole creation will be delivered SOON. I am standing on my tiptoes waiting for the promise.

Peace -
Heartsong

Old 12-05-2010, 01:34 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,196 times
“He opened up their minds fully to grasp the meaning of the Scriptures.” ----Luke 24:45

“Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, . . . teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.” --Matthew 28:19, 20

“All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness".--2 Timothy 3:16

Our Bible tells us what to do and what not to do in order to please God and improve our life and our relationship with Our Heavenly Father. Taking in accurate knowledge......

“In the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here.
For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, un-thankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power.” --2 Timothy 3:1-5

Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times
Quote:
"Reverence the Spirit and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man; to love him and all others."...
1 John 2:3 "And hereby we do know that we know him, if...[IF!] we keep his commandments."

Let me ask you Jerwade, Do you keep the commandments of God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade
...The commandments are to love the Spirit...
...the Bible according to Jerwade...
and which commandment would that be exactly...?

1 John 2:3 "And hereby we do know that we know him, if...[IF!] we keep his commandments."

Quote:
...and the Spirit within others,...
So you're saying we are to love "that" spirit within others whether it be THE Spirit of God or another spirit...?...lot's of "spirits" out there...inside people...of which I would never love!...I don't think so.

How do we know...how do we discern "what" spirit one is walking in? I tell you...from the words of the apostle John, which give us the designation of a true Christian, to be the knowledge of God, and the character of His knowledge, to be obedience to His commands. That's how. Nothing less with suffice.

Quote:
...not their false understanding of truth...
Amen!

Quote:
...Indeed, very few will pass the test,...
Indeed.

Quote:
...but
Quote:
those whom he selects to teach righteousness will be the ones who love humanity;...
Yes...and that would not include those FALSE teachers that teach anything less than righteousness, nor anything less than keeping the commandments of God....and obviously, THEY who do teach nothing less than righteousness and obedience to God's laws ARE! them who truly!!! love with the love of God. We would die for Him...and teach His truth even if it meant our death. And I will...with my last breath.

Quote:
...teaching what is good, acceptable, and the will of the Father.
The knowledge of God in Jesus Christ is the most proper designation of a Christian, "Hereby we know that we know him," which is as much as to say that we are true Christians,""...that we keep His commandments"...that the proper character of true knowledge is obedience. The direct and principal duty of a true believer is to know God, and keep his commands, which are not two distinct duties as they come in a religious consideration, but make up one complete work of Christianity, which consists in conformity to God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
“He opened up their minds fully to grasp the meaning of the Scriptures.” ----Luke 24:45

“Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, . . . teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.” --Matthew 28:19, 20

“All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness".--2 Timothy 3:16

Our Bible tells us what to do and what not to do in order to please God and improve our life and our relationship with Our Heavenly Father. Taking in accurate knowledge......

“In the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here.
For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, un-thankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power.” --2 Timothy 3:1-5
Amen!...and Amen! I couldn't agree with the word of God more!

I do know and can see the "angle" from which YOU are coming from though - simply from reading many of your other posts on this board...not to mention your use of the "cool" guy behind his little dark glasses...it's as if you are insinuating that I would fall under this catagory...? ...so what I will say is this..."study and show thyself approved" is a fair warning...one in which you obviously, truly should take heed...for the sake of your own soul.

I will not argue nor debate with you on this...but I would ask you this:

Do you keep the commandments of God?

If you don't, you do not love Him! If you don't, you do not know Him! Thus saith the LORD God Almighty...it is written.

...just look in the mirror and ask yourself this...search your own self...and do something wonderful about it....get right with your Maker!

I believe that there is not much knowledge of the word. Hearts are dungeons of darkness...of ignorance of God and unbelief, and ways and walks are full of stumblings in this darkness. If you could only open your eyes to the shining light of the scripture, I don't doubt that you would be able to see that which few do see, that is, that much of the pretended light of this age is darkness and ignorance.

Truly there is going to be no "approval" coming from God of this ignorance.

If you do not keep the commandments of God...you transgress the law of God...which is all sin is. That would make you a willfull sinner...seeing that you know the truth...but choose to deny it. It's really quite clear...crystal clear who is and who isn't living the life God's will requires in order to be an heir to His Kingdom.

You may choose to continue on in your ignorance and pride and rebelliousness...your choice...but God will not have anything to do with a willfull, wicked sinner who loves his/her sin more than they love Him and obey and live by His commandments. Thus saith the LORD God Almighty. It is written.

In Christ's love..and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:17 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
No I dont, I fall short on a daily basis and have to repent quite often and when in doubt I study the word and see where I fall short all the more. I love the Lord and His commandments and I pray He will find me worthy and say I passed.

People read the red letters of the Bible and see the character of our Lord and savior and see His true love that surpasses all that is carnal.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:43 PM

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?"

'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD (SPIRIT) WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'

This is the great and foremost commandment, Verna Perry, and the second is like it:

'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'

Although you have a familiar Spirit called Rudeness; I still love you, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity