Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:49 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times

Advertisements

2 Timothy 2:15 says from the KJV Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth and or the NIV says Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

With that said, all Christians are required to study God's word, so that we can learn how to be closer to God, His Son, and to live Godly lives. Depending on whose translation that you read, the main point that Paul is stressing is doing our best so that, from our bible study of God's Word, we can become skilled at handling God's word of truth. By studying the Word of God, we become equipped, with the help of the Holy Spirit to discern when someone is teaching false doctrine over the truth.

Paul warned about false teachers infiltrating the church during the last days, and what's so sad, many people are falling for false teaching.
Are you studying God's word, and if not, then why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
2 Timothy 2:15 says from the KJV Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth and or the NIV says Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

With that said, all Christians are required to study God's word, so that we can learn how to be closer to God, His Son, and to live Godly lives. Depending on whose translation that you read, the main point that Paul is stressing is doing our best so that, from our bible study of God's Word, we can become skilled at handling God's word of truth. By studying the Word of God, we become equipped, with the help of the Holy Spirit to discern when someone is teaching false doctrine over the truth.

Paul warned about false teachers infiltrating the church during the last days, and what's so sad, many people are falling for false teaching.
"Christians--DO YOU STUDY TO SHOW THYSELF APPROVED UNTO GOD?"
"Are you studying God's word, and if not, then why ?"

(IMHO).....I believe that it is because there is not a love for God in the heart and wanting to learn and know all there is to know about Him and what it is to please Him in their life..... it is all about a relationship !

It's kind of like when two people meet and fall in love their desire is to deeply know all there is about that individual. Spending every minute of time in your life with them.
What they like/dislike, believe/don't believe, hobbies, what their goals in/for life. Having that desire in how to please that person who is special to them..... !!

And the same can be said about meeting a new friend.....

This is why people are falling for any and everything that is false about God. They do not know Him..... nor does His Spirit live in their heart. They have quench Him in teaching, guiding, and protecting them. Learning from Him through His word how to discern from all that would come to kill, steal, and destroy that of God in their life !!

Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. (Ps.37:4)

I always have loved this scripture...... as it was in the beginning of my walk, new founded relationship with Him. And one of the first things God spoke and gave to me the revelation as I was praying for more of God in my life and He led me to this scripture and I knew in my heart He was saying as I delighted myself in Him, He would give and show me more and more of a deeper love and knowledge in/of Him...... that was and still is the desire of my heart .....

Like I said, it's all about a relationship with Him..... and that faith comes by hearing, hearing the word of God !! If we do not read and study His word our faith muscle will not grow and yes, we will be.... "tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting." (Eph.4:14) ...... that passes our way !!

Blessings Friend,

Old 03-31-2011, 03:39 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:

Hi Antredd,
In this verse, "study" does NOT mean to study the Bible. It means "strive" to show thyself approved.

Young's Literal translation renders it thus: "be diligent to present thyself approved to God."

Bible studies have nothing to do with this verse. Studying the Bible all day and all night will not give you God's Spirit. The Bible is only a testimony; it is NOT God's Word, which has existed since before the world began. "Every word of God" means DIRECT, from HIS mouth into YOUR heart.

Neither is there a verse that tells you which version to buy, how much to pay for it, how to get a discount, where to get a concordance, etc...

Imo, of course..

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
"Christians--DO YOU STUDY TO SHOW THYSELF APPROVED UNTO GOD?"
"Are you studying God's word, and if not, then why ?"

(IMHO).....I believe that it is because there is not a love for God in the heart and wanting to learn and know all there is to know about Him and what it is to please Him in their life..... it is all about a relationship !

It's kind of like when two people meet and fall in love their desire is to deeply know all there is about that individual. Spending every minute of time in your life with them.
What they like/dislike, believe/don't believe, hobbies, what their goals in/for life. Having that desire in how to please that person who is special to them..... !!

And the same can be said about meeting a new friend.....

This is why people are falling for any and everything that is false about God. They do not know Him..... nor does His Spirit live in their heart. They have quench Him in teaching, guiding, and protecting them. Learning from Him through His word how to discern from all that would come to kill, steal, and destroy that of God in their life !!

Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. (Ps.37:4)

I always have loved this scripture...... as it was in the beginning of my walk, new founded relationship with Him. And one of the first things God spoke and gave to me the revelation as I was praying for more of God in my life and He led me to this scripture and I knew in my heart He was saying as I delighted myself in Him, He would give and show me more and more of a deeper love and knowledge in/of Him...... that was and still is the desire of my heart .....

Like I said, it's all about a relationship with Him..... and that faith comes by hearing, hearing the word of God !! If we do not read and study His word our faith muscle will not grow and yes, we will be.... "tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting." (Eph.4:14) ...... that passes our way !!

Blessings Friend,
Well said, and God bless you. I have been blessed by your post.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi Antredd,
In this verse, "study" does NOT mean to study the Bible. It means "strive" to show thyself approved.

Young's Literal translation renders it thus: "be diligent to present thyself approved to God."

Bible studies have nothing to do with this verse. Studying the Bible all day and all night will not give you God's Spirit. The Bible is only a testimony; it is NOT God's Word, which has existed since before the world began. "Every word of God" means DIRECT, from HIS mouth into YOUR heart.

Neither is there a verse that tells you which version to buy, how much to pay for it, how to get a discount, where to get a concordance, etc...

Imo, of course..

Blessings,
brian
Brian, you are absolutely right. Study, however, does fit with the context of verse 15 in the KJV. The basic definition of study is:

1.a. The act or process of studying.
b. The pursuit of knowledge, as by reading, observation, or research.
2. Attentive scrutiny.
3. A branch of knowledge.

That's what all Christians should be doing according to these definitions of study. We are to pursue knowledge of God by reading God's Word and by scrutinizing His Word so that we can be equipped to do what? Rightly divide God's Word of Truth as skilled workers, who have MASTERED GOD'S WORD from our intense studying it. I hope my explanation helps. Thanks for you input.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
God is love.
Study love.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Brian, you are absolutely right. Study, however, does fit with the context of verse 15 in the KJV. The basic definition of study is:

1.a. The act or process of studying.
b. The pursuit of knowledge, as by reading, observation, or research.
2. Attentive scrutiny.
3. A branch of knowledge.

That's what all Christians should be doing according to these definitions of study. We are to pursue knowledge of God by reading God's Word and by scrutinizing His Word so that we can be equipped to do what? Rightly divide God's Word of Truth as skilled workers, who have MASTERED GOD'S WORD from our intense studying it. I hope my explanation helps. Thanks for you input.
"Love never ends ... as for knowledge, it will pass away... when the perfect [love] comes."

Old 10-26-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"Love never ends ... as for knowledge, it will pass away... when the perfect [love] comes."
I want to take in as much knowledge as I possibly can before leaving this planet. I think that taking in the knowledge of God is the most important thing that anyone can do. OUR LIVES ARE LITERALLY DEPENDED ON IT.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
I want to take in as much knowledge as I possibly can before leaving this planet. I think that taking in the knowledge of God is the most important thing that anyone can do. OUR LIVES ARE LITERALLY DEPENDED ON IT.
Bible doctrine which has been inculcated into your soul by metabolizing it so that it is epignosis knowledge rather than just academic knowledge or gnosis, is the only thing that you as a believer can take with you to heaven when you die.

Under the filling of the Holy Spirit, which occurs with the naming of your known sins to God as per 1 John 1:9, as you study and understand a particular doctrine or principle, it becomes academic knowledge. If you then believe that doctrine, the Holy Spirit transforms that academic knowledge into epignosis knowledge.

Bible Doctrine Resource.com » Doctrine of Epignosis

The fifth basic principle that the Lord has established whic... Messages / Bible Classes - Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries / Grace Bible Church - bible doctrine truth in Christ

Just think about that. You as a believer can actually take with you when you die, the word of God which you have metabolized in your soul.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:58 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:
Our lives don't depend on the bread of letters, even though they can be of help. What our lives depend upon is the same thing that gave us Life in the first place: the Living Word.

The Living Word is not a 1,000-page book on sale at your local bookstore. The Living Word is within every man, woman and child at birth. This is because it is this same Living Word that put the Universe into motion, including little ol' you and me.

THAT Living Word is what we depend upon. Bible study is good; hearing the knowing the Living Word is better.

The Spirit always trumps the letter.

Aisi, of course...

Blessings.
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity