Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times

Advertisements

"Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us." - Hebrews 12:1

I am the kind of a person who when I travel most definitely overpacks.....
I want to bring everything I own and then some. But excess baggage makes traveling more complicated.
In the same way, when you are running the race of life, you need to run light. Sometimes we drag along a lot of excess weight. But notice that the Bible tells us to "strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress."
Sin is sin, and there are certain non-negotiables to which we must hold fast. Then there might be something that is a weight in your life that may not necessarily be a weight in another's life. By that I mean, there may be something you are doing that is impeding your spiritual progress. Periodically, I need to take stock of my life as a Christian and look at the things I am doing with my time. I need to ask myself the question,
"Is it a wing or a weight?
Is it speeding me on my way spiritually, or is it slowing me down? Is it increasing my spiritual appetite, or is it dulling it?"

How often we are so busy doing a lot of things that aren't really all that important, but they seem important at the time. We need to ask ourselves if we need to do all of those things. Are they slowing you down?
Lay aside the weight and the sin that hinders your progress..... Amen !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
CyberMunchkin,

I think your post makes a lot of good points. There are so many things that do weigh us down and we have to make an effort to spend our time wisely. There are many distractions in this world that truly are not worth our time. Our time in this world is finite so we should take stock of how we are spending it. For example, when we spend time on-line, I don't think it is productive to spend hours, days, weeks, even months arguing vehemently over the same point. I think a lot of time is wasted bickering.

Good post.

Heartsong

Old 01-16-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
CyberMunchkin,

I think your post makes a lot of good points. There are so many things that do weigh us down and we have to make an effort to spend our time wisely. There are many distractions in this world that truly are not worth our time. Our time in this world is finite so we should take stock of how we are spending it. For example, when we spend time on-line, I don't think it is productive to spend hours, days, weeks, even months arguing vehemently over the same point. I think a lot of time is wasted bickering.

Good post.

Heartsong
Amen.... Heartsong, especially the latter part of your post !

I'm finding lately to pay more attention to that still small voice that is telling me I do have somethings that are packed and the Lord is definitely showing it needs to be left out, no, more like throw it away !!

The luggage is getting lighter....

Old 01-16-2011, 09:53 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Good thread..I have a book somewhere in this mess I call home by Max Lucado (I think), that someone sent me last summer right after our home was flooded and my mind was centered mostly on "poor me, how will we survive this, where will the money come from to rebuild, how will I cook, clean and care for this family, why didn't the rescue boat come for my paralyzed grandson ? Yes the baggage piled high in just a matter of moments.

Anyway, it certainly reminded me that when I forget to check my baggage with Him that it just keeps piling up until it is almost impossible for me to see anything except that heavy burden that wears me down to the point of "spiritual exhaustion", and physical exhaustion that finally left all my baggage among the tears and prayers left in a dark laundry room where the clean clothes that had been folded so carefully just a few hours ago swirled about me in muddy waters.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Good thread..I have a book somewhere in this mess I call home by Max Lucado (I think), that someone sent me last summer right after our home was flooded and my mind was centered mostly on "poor me, how will we survive this, where will the money come from to rebuild, how will I cook, clean and care for this family, why didn't the rescue boat come for my paralyzed grandson ? Yes the baggage piled high in just a matter of moments.

Anyway, it certainly reminded me that when I forget to check my baggage with Him that it just keeps piling up until it is almost impossible for me to see anything except that heavy burden that wears me down to the point of "spiritual exhaustion", and physical exhaustion that finally left all my baggage among the tears and prayers left in a dark laundry room where the clean clothes that had been folded so carefully just a few hours ago swirled about me in muddy waters.
Well Miss Blue, that is where I got the inspiration from this morning, Max Lucado. I have several of his books.

You are so correct about "when I forget to check my baggage with Him that it just keeps piling up until it is almost impossible for me to see anything except that heavy burden that wears me down to the point of "spiritual exhaustion, and physical exhaustion ".... and it will and does !!

I leave all mine in the shower...

Thank goodness for our Lord who is so willingly and ready to lift the load and all those burdens that weigh us down in our hearts.... amen ?

I think how easily we (myself) forget when the load gets heavy that He tells us...

Matt. 11:28-29
28"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
29"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.

Maybe it is woman thing..... eh ?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
When people turn away from the altar of his grace, they merely pick their baggage back up again.

"Change comes from within; not from the outward appearance of things."

Leave the dishes for in the morning, and get some rest.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
When people turn away from the altar of his grace, they merely pick their baggage back up again.

"Change comes from within; not from the outward appearance of things."

Leave the dishes for in the morning, and get some rest.

Very Good . As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. The excess baggages i have carried around with me in the past, and sometimes now, are the thoughts of the outward man, unfortunately he comes with a lot of baggage, doubt and fear for some reason way heavier than most, when he comes knocking at my door now with his wares, i tell hiim to clear off, doubt and fear do not belong to me anymore, he's a sneaky old so and so is the old man, he doesn't take no for answer very easily.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:58 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
I think you have an excellent post, something that seems true on so many levels
I took this off a Buddhist website because it sums it up in words better than I feel like composing tonite:
Simplicity of life impels us to want or possess fewer things, appreciating more of what we have and using what we possess in the service of others. When we have fewer distractions in our lives then we can concentrate more in our inner realm and truly live the Buddha Dharma and manifest the nembutsu. At its core, simplicity is the living practice of reality as it is.

While Buddhism does encourage a simpler lifestyle, unclutter by excess baggage, the "excess baggage" is not just physical but mental and spiritual as well. It can be anything which holds us back to fulfilling our full potential. For example, if our pursuit of material gains (especially money) becomes our focus so that we neglect family and friends in that quest, then what good is it? how much is enough? Likewise, if we fall off of our spiritual path, choosing to serve self for example, than to serve others, then is this the path on which we will find enlightenment? Certainly not.
Excess Baggae will only hinder us. It could be a craving, an addiciton, anger, jealousy. It can be physical, I know when my house is a cluttered mess I cannot focus or concentrate on anything. It can be resolved though, but it is for each of us to do so for ourselves.

Thanks for this most interesting topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity