Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
One of the disadvantages of living in America, if you will, is that most of us are insulated from the very real evil of people, including ourselves.

Ours is a civilization of laws and rules, of wealth, comparative safety, predictability and order. Most of us can live our entire lives and never have to confront real evil, never have to deal with it as people in other places do. To us, evil is something abstract, something which might happen to others, but not to us. We're able to convice ourselves that we're basically good, that whatever little bit of bad we do isn't all THAT bad and that we are not personally evil at all.

That's a blessing in one sense because we DON'T have to see the depravity of our own hearts or the depths of evil to which our neighbors are capable of sinking.

But, it's a weakness too because it prevents us from having to face the awful truth of our own evil and makes obtaining Salvation that much harder. Having never been forced to fall flat on our faces before the Lord and plead forgiveness for some monstrous evil which overwhelmed us from the depths of our own soul, Salvation is as much an exercise of social pressure as it is a clear-eyed assessment of our own filth. Most of us, I think, have a real hard time understanding just how awful we really are and that affects our attitude toward God, toward ourselves, our fellow man and our own Salvation.

That's not so for a lot of people outside America. Ask the people of Rwanda or the Balkan's or Cambodia or Uganda or the Congo if mankind is basically good and I suspect you'll get a far different answer because they've not only seen it, but lived it. Perhaps they have blood on their own hands. To them, our inherent evil isn't a Biblical theory, but a cold hard fact of reality. Maybe that's why the Gospel is taking fire in those places, because they DO understand just how dreadful they are and just how much they NEED God's grace.

Here, in this island of safety, we play at Salvation, play at following Christ, play at serving God because we really don't undertand to the depths that those people do.

As for those in a coma or whatever? If they never had the chance to chose Christ before they ended up in that condition? No, they won't be held accountable. But, if they did and rejected Him, they're condemned by their own mouths.

And therein lies a lesson for us all. None of us know if we'll get another chance to accept Jesus, never know if we too might end up staring at the ceiling in some rest home for 30 years or existing in a sort half-dead state, so don't let the opportunity to claim Salvation pass. It might be your last chance.
Jesus Christ this is some negative stuff. Yes, we don't know evil on the scale that some do like in Rwanda or other places but let me tell you I've been privy to plenty of evil and it's scary. There's lots of evil right in our own backyards and we don't need to look to foreign countries to find it. It's here, and it's real.

That said, evil will be done away with, thank God that in his infinite plan of salvation for all that none of that sick stuff will exist on the next plane. That's something to really look forward to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:40 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Jesus Christ this is some negative stuff. Yes, we don't know evil on the scale that some do like in Rwanda or other places but let me tell you I've been privy to plenty of evil and it's scary. There's lots of evil right in our own backyards and we don't need to look to foreign countries to find it. It's here, and it's real.

That said, evil will be done away with, thank God that in his infinite plan of salvation for all that none of that sick stuff will exist on the next plane. That's something to really look forward to.
Exodus 20:7
“You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."

Ezekiel 3:20
“Again, when a righteous man turns from his righteousness and does evil, and I put a stumbling block before him, he will die.
Since you did not warn him, he will die for his sin. The righteous things he did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for his blood."

Ezekiel 18:24
“But if a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked man does, will he live?
None of the righteous things he has done will be remembered.
Because of the unfaithfulness he is guilty of and because of the sins he has committed, he will die.

Is God's word clear enough for you Ilene?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
I'll be the first one to point out all my faults and flaws - I talk too much, I'm stubborn, I'm really messy, I'm overly sensitive, etc. But I really try not to continually point my finger at others and tell them all the things that I see wrong with them over and over again. I look for the good in others. I'm not saying that I don't debate or disagree with others - but I'd like to think that I spend more time examining my own faults than those I see in others.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Evil? Not at all.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Maybe just maybe ALL of you pointing the finger and conducting this Internet Inquisition are EVIL!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Nope, I'm not evil, I'm not wicked and I'm not in need of a mythological god to help me lead my life. I know right from wrong, I try to tell the truth, I don't hurt people, I am kind to animalsModerator cut: off topic

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-26-2011 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: god-myth was deleted/off topic and would probably derail this thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
I could be, I think.

Looking back at my youth, yes. I can be and have been.

Thank God that's all behind me.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
And therein lies a lesson for us all. None of us know if we'll get another chance to accept Jesus, never know if we too might end up staring at the ceiling in some rest home for 30 years or existing in a sort half-dead state, so don't let the opportunity to claim Salvation pass. It might be your last chance.

In my opinion, that's a very sad outlook you have on God and the power of His love. I have sat with several dying human beings. One was a man who was brain dead laying in a hospital after having suffered a torturous life where he was abused and had a life filled with non-love. One of the saddest life stories I have ever witnessed in all of my 40 years. As he lay there before they unhooked all of the machines, I whispered and whispered to him and caressed his hand and told him all about the love of God. I told him all about how soon he would be going home, that soon this life would be over and he would be free. He would finally be free and released into the arms of His loving Creator. That this sad world full of sad human beings who do not yet understand love... is almost over. I whispered on and on about how finally, finally... He would know LOVE. He would finally be surrounded by the one thing he lacked his ENTIRE life. LOVE. He would finally be free of this prison. He would finally be free.

On and on, I whispered. Caressing his hand and rubbing his arm. and telling him to not be afraid, that everything is going to be ok.

There is a lot that human beings do not understand about the power of God's love. God has graciously given me enough understanding of His love to be able to confidently and unashamedly be able to comfort others. No matter the circumstance, the good news comforts and brings peace.

NO MATTER WHAT THE SITUATION, the GOOD NEWS brings COMFORT and PEACE to those who HEAR. There is ABSOLUTELY NO circusmtances under which the good news would be "bad news" or "sad news" or "unbearable news". It is impossible. The good news of Jesus Christ is ALWAYS good news. ALWAYS.

"How beautiful are the feet of those who bring GOOD NEWS...."

How are your feet looking like these days...?

Thank you to God for putting the truth of His character, of the glimpse of the power of His love into my heart. So that my feet weren't looking too shabby when I sat with human beings who have passed from this temporary "seen" world... into the unseen eternal. Thank you God for using my hands to caress the hands of that dying man. Thank you God for using my voice to whisper the promise of your love into that dying, suffering man's ear. Thank you God for the beautiful dream that very night that he died, showing me that he is now whole and healed and safe. Thank you God.

>-- >--

tweet tweet.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:20 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:

Quote:
What??? What is it that you all are talking about? Because I used Jesus Christ in my initial statement that means I'm using it in vain? I was calling on him so that the poster would see the error in their post. Get a grip. God's word is plenty clear to me, you don't have to point it out over and over again. Good grief.
Don't play miss innocent .... it was used in vain.

Apparently God's word needs to be pointed out over and over again.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:37 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
In my opinion, that's a very sad outlook you have on God and the power of His love. I have sat with several dying human beings. One was a man who was brain dead laying in a hospital after having suffered a torturous life where he was abused and had a life filled with non-love. One of the saddest life stories I have ever witnessed in all of my 40 years. As he lay there before they unhooked all of the machines, I whispered and whispered to him and caressed his hand and told him all about the love of God. I told him all about how soon he would be going home, that soon this life would be over and he would be free. He would finally be free and released into the arms of His loving Creator. That this sad world full of sad human beings who do not yet understand love... is almost over. I whispered on and on about how finally, finally... He would know LOVE. He would finally be surrounded by the one thing he lacked his ENTIRE life. LOVE. He would finally be free of this prison. He would finally be free.

On and on, I whispered. Caressing his hand and rubbing his arm. and telling him to not be afraid, that everything is going to be ok.

There is a lot that human beings do not understand about the power of God's love. God has graciously given me enough understanding of His love to be able to confidently and unashamedly be able to comfort others. No matter the circumstance, the good news comforts and brings peace.

NO MATTER WHAT THE SITUATION, the GOOD NEWS brings COMFORT and PEACE to those who HEAR. There is ABSOLUTELY NO circusmtances under which the good news would be "bad news" or "sad news" or "unbearable news". It is impossible. The good news of Jesus Christ is ALWAYS good news. ALWAYS.

"How beautiful are the feet of those who bring GOOD NEWS...."

How are your feet looking like these days...?

Thank you to God for putting the truth of His character, of the glimpse of the power of His love into my heart. So that my feet weren't looking too shabby when I sat with human beings who have passed from this temporary "seen" world... into the unseen eternal. Thank you God for using my hands to caress the hands of that dying man. Thank you God for using my voice to whisper the promise of your love into that dying, suffering man's ear. Thank you God for the beautiful dream that very night that he died, showing me that he is now whole and healed and safe. Thank you God.

>-- >--

tweet tweet.
How could one say.....

"In my opinion, that's a very sad outlook you have on God and the power of His love."

Quote:
Especially when one (skillkit) has spoken truthfully that God's love, God's desire, God's truth, God's good news..... is to make that choice NOW, which is SALVATION through JESUS CHRIST, and no one else, period !!

The greatest love, comfort one can give another soul (especially if their dying) is the truth of SALVATION through JESUS CHRIST and sharing with them, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16) that...."unless you repent you will all likewise perish (Luke 13:3) FOR.... “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.” (Mark 1:15)..... that is the only hope now and for all eternity..... also ...... "there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”(Luke 15:10)
NOW....... that is the GOOD NEWS !!

Because all the caring and love we can give another..... it's NOT about US and what we have done or are doing, it's ALL about JESUS CHRIST and WHAT HE DID AND IS DOING FOR A WORLD that is lost in SIN..... our caring, comfort, and love can never, ever equate to the LOVE OF CHRIST by dying a dreadful, tragic death on the cross for the sin of the world !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity