Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,736,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
We can see from the endless discussions here, that Scripture can be used to support just about anything. I think someone once said that even Hitler was convinced of being "on God's side."
No, he wasn't convinced of such thing.

Quote:
The point you mention about the Spirit contradicting scripture, however, is very important.
And we see in Jesus' words, that indeed the Spirit may contradict the scripture: "Ye have heard it said.... BUT I SAY UNTO YOU..."
This is a contradiction. Jesus spoke a Higher message, and was killed for it.
No, it is not a contradiction. Besides you are quoting from the source you consider "stale".

Quote:
The Spirit is always one step ahead of scripture. Man has been taught, and is still taught, to "stick with scripture." And thereby, he misses the Spirit. He becomes deaf. --And, he risks persecuting God Himself.
No, the Spirit and the word of God are in perfect harmony, and no, people are not taught to stick with the scripture, as to say to ignore the Spirit. Where are you getting this? People are taught that the Spirit will take residence in their heart at the moment of salvation, and it is there to help us understand spiritual things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
"Well, quoting scriptures doesn't signify a hill of beans."
It is funny, he would say that, and then go on to quote the Bible himself. It is interesting what we are hearing these days: "don't be afraid to sin", and "the Bible is stale", "you don't need faith to be saved".

Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,229,256 times
Quote:
Yes, sometimes He speaks to me while reading.

But I know that if I didn't have a Bible to my name, I'd probably know Him even better. (THAT is what is meant by "every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God--- not just what has been written down!)

Jesus didn't have a degree or experience in studying scripture. He walked and talked with the Father. Period. And when it was necessary for Him to use a scripture, the Father put those words into His mouth.

Not like today, where many people study and study, but can't hear His Living Voice in their hearts!

So scripture can indeed blind us. But God's Voice will never lead us astray, if we "trust and obey.."

I've seen preachers lead people astray, all the while using scripture very stealthfully.

I could name a few big ones...

Blessings,
brian
I couldn't disagree with you more.... I should clarify. I, nor, anyone else will know God BETTER w/o reading His Word. Jesus is God. When we read His Word, we learn from Him directly. Any voice that says that scripture isn't important is not from God! Period.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,229,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is funny, he would say that, and then go on to quote the Bible himself. It is interesting what we are hearing these days: "don't be afraid to sin", and "the Bible is stale", "you don't need faith to be saved".
I pray others will not be deceived.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,378,798 times
Quote:
No, he wasn't convinced of such thing.

No, it is not a contradiction. Besides you are quoting from the source you consider "stale".

No, the Spirit and the word of God are in perfect harmony, and no, people are not taught to stick with the scripture, as to say to ignore the Spirit. Where are you getting this? People are taught that the Spirit will take residence in their heart at the moment of salvation, and it is there to help us understand spiritual things.
I'm quoting from the source that you use as reference to truth. Therefore, I have pointed out the contradiction. (I prefer the term, "higher revelation.")

Yes, the Spirit ought to take residence. Actually, it ought to reign supreme. And it CAN help us understand scripture, but often what we listen to is carnal understanding, not the Spirit. And so we get off track.

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
1) don't be afraid OF sin. BIG difference!

2) The Bible is yesterday's manna. Or a schoolmaster, leading you to Christ. But when you know Christ, the schoolmaster goes home.

3) Faith is God-given. Salvation is complete, finished at Calvary, and more likely since the foundation of the world.

I hope this clarifies a bit..

Blessings to all!
brian

Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more.... I should clarify. I, nor, anyone else will know God BETTER w/o reading His Word. Jesus is God. When we read His Word, we learn from Him directly. Any voice that says that scripture isn't important is not from God! Period.
Where is God? On a bookshelf? On sale at the supermarket?

The Bible is a declaration of the manna that was fresh at THAT time.

Take a sincere look around you, CW2L. Do you see Bible-studying changing people's lives? Or is it not rather the Spirit of God that changes people's lives?
Why are there so many denominations? Is it not due to the carnal interpretations of the old manna, being read by people who have never tasted Fresh Manna in their own hearts?

Talk about people being deceived!! How much more deceiving can you get?!?!?

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
1) don't be afraid OF sin. BIG difference!
The name of the thread I referred to was "are you afraid of sinning?", and the UR conclusion was: "don't be afraid to sin".

Quote:
2) The Bible is yesterday's manna. Or a schoolmaster, leading you to Christ. But when you know Christ, the schoolmaster goes home.
I don't think the Bible alone leads people to Christ. As a matter of fact, the Bible is gibberish to those who do not believe. Bible is the everyday spiritual food of those who have already found Christ.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,200,827 times
Quote:
The name of the thread I referred to was "are you afraid of sinning?", and the UR conclusion was: "don't be afraid to sin".
False accusation - the Spirit leads us to Christ, who commands us to take up our cross and put to death the carnal nature (of sin). That's what this believer believes.

But what does the bible tell us about the source of all things? Of course, it's Him!

In the beginning was what? The Word! And the Word was with God, and the Word was God - who is it?

He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called the Word of God. (Rev 19:13)

It is Christ!!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:

I don't think the Bible alone leads people to Christ. As a matter of fact, the Bible is gibberish to those who do not believe. Bible is the everyday spiritual food of those who have already found Christ.
Well, the conclusion should be "don't be afraid of sinning." The Spirit of God will remove sin, that is His job. We just seek Him, and all will turn out well.

The scriptures can be used for preaching to those who are "lost." They are a testimony, and as such, can help us to learn what others have experienced in the Spirit.

But at some point we must leave milk and move on towards meat, and that comes from walking in the Spirit.

Paul had visions of the third heaven. Most people don't have those visions today, not because God doesn't give us those deeper revelations, but because we are blinded by scripture, rather than seeking Him in communion. (I too am guilty of studying scripture more than I probably need to!)

The Spirit will lead us into ALL truth. IF we trust that He will indeed lead us. Prayer is communion, fellowship with God.

But what is the point of fellowshipping with God if one believes that God isn't speaking anymore? What kind of relationship is that?? One says, "Dear Lord...." and the other responds, "please see My word, I'm done speaking to you." ?!?!?

The biggest deception of all: God isn't talking anymore. Just read His book.

God is Spirit. We need to dwell in His Spirit, seek and talk with Him. THAT is the Life Jesus died to give us back!

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity