Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,337 times

Advertisements

Was Jesus born of the virgin Mary? It's my understanding that many in the Christian world don't believe in the virgin birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Was Jesus born of the virgin Mary? It's my understanding that many in the Christian world don't believe in the virgin birth.
While I believe it certainly was possible and have no problem with believing it. I do have to wonder though.

What if someone doesn't and places it in the realm of a figurative spiritual statement of our new nature being born?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:35 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
Quote:
Yes he was

Old 03-14-2011, 01:49 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
What if someone doesn't and places it in the realm of a figurative spiritual statement of our new nature being born?
Then that person denies divinity, so how could he/she possibly be saved?

Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,800 times
Quote:
Then that person denies divinity, so how could he/she possibly be saved?

What scripture says that denying a physical virgin birth is denying divinity?

What scripture says you must believe in the virgin Birth to be saved?

Old 03-14-2011, 02:21 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,233 times
I believe she was a virgin, but I don't believe she was perfect her entire life like Catholics believe. I only think she was perfect when Jesus was in her womb. Catholics seem to worship Mary like God/Jesus. But that's another story.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:25 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
To be a perfect sacrifice, He must Himself be perfect -without sin. Since our race is contaminated with sin, a miraculous entrance into the world would be required, hence the virgin birth

Old 03-14-2011, 03:12 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
Yes Jesus was born of Mary and Jesus spiritual father was Joseph great grand son of King David , Mary was a surrogate Mother to Jesus and never gave any seed for the Birth of Jesus , and Joseph was Jesus spiritual father who never gave seed for Jesus birth , who was a point of contact for Heaven who was the blessed of his family were his father was Jacob who was also blessed from Heaven..from Matthew 1: 15-16..... Holy Spirit came on Mary and brought Jesus to her were she gave birth and a begotten Son Jesus to the Lord God....... See Heaven did that because of the sin in the world was beyond the purity of Heaven so the Lord brought a created Jesus to the earth to be born ....... were before the blessing of Isaac came from Isaac who was born of Man and not pure enough for Heaven but became a shadow for Jesus purity to confirm when he came ......

Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,588 times
yes that is my belief.
certainly we can do it nowadays with fertility treatments..look at octomom.claims she hasn't had sex in years,but has 14 kids.
cand ertainly God could do it back then,just by saying the word.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,049 times
Quote:
The Apostles believe He was, I believe He was. But if He wasn't, think of the ramifications that would have. The Messiah could not redeem a people if He is born under the same curse. He too would then need a redeemer. So for the Messiah to not have the curse that Adam was given and carry Adam's sin as the rest of us then He would have to be born of a virgin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity