Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:02 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,601 times

Advertisements

Life on the playground:

Joey brought his new truck to school today, and is playing with it happily in the sandbox. Along comes Bobby, who sees the new toy and forcefully grabs it out of Joey's hands.
Joey starts crying, and Bobby hits him. As Joey tries to hit him back, the teacher comes out and sees Joey taking a swing at Bobby.
“Joey hit me!” Bobby accuses to the teacher (with new toy in hand.)
“Joey, go back into the school immediately!” the teacher demands, believing that she has justly resolved the conflict.

The statement “Joey hit me” is a true statement. Even the teacher saw that. Joey is indeed guilty of hitting Bobby.
Bobby, however, has already piled up a series of errors to his own credit, namely:
  • he stole Joey's truck
  • he hit Joey
  • he utilized a half-truth to his own selfish ends.
The poor teacher, convinced that she has brought justice to the playground, has not only increased injustice during recreation, but has also ruined her own credibility in the eyes of Joey, and is now seen by Bobby as easy to manipulate.

If the teacher had only been present from the beginning of the conflict, she would have been able to understand the entire scenario, and she probably would have judged the situation much differently.

I hope we can all see the relevance this type of scenario has for us, especially with regards to religion, and especially with regards to those of us who believe that we "have the truth."

May the Lord "guide us into all truth.."

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 05:37 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
Holy Spirit is called by the Lord to help in rightly divided the Word of God in our studies as we were not there for logic to discern, The cultural differences that the Word of God and the inconstancies in language translations people can come up with different ideas in the purpose of the ideas of faith for the Lord ... Like in Acts 5: 1-11 There is a murder mystery of Ananias and Sapphira were Holy Spirit is the presumed guilty by many scholars , but could have been Apostle Peter and his bands of thugs who killed these Poor people , like a murder Mystery ``Clue``world famous board game, `who done it`......and there is no answer, ..... But if you go to Holy Spirit , he will bring `` all these people when through their Judgment with Jesus when they pass on from this life and he is our Judge....,,,,,I have heard some preachers who will give you issue after issue, after issue , never telling you the answer or even helping you find the answer , but the the answer is as always ``Jesus`` .............

Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,174,444 times
Good post (yet again) Brian. There's a ton of applications for us to use.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:25 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,980 times
.... OK!

Well for those who believe there is no such thing as half truth...... you believe God or you don't, that's just the way it is !!

God doesn't play word games in a imaginary playground...... with lives and most definitely He sure isn't like your teacher.... He is always present especially in the lives of those who believe so that means a believer has nothing to worry about just keepin' on trustin' and obeyin' the Lord and He will definitely keep ya under the teaching, guidance and protection of His Holy Spirit in whom we are sealed, who will always lead the born again Christian into all truths, not half truths, no such thing for a believer in Christ Jesus.... amen !!

Philippians 1:6
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

Romans 8:37-39
37. But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.
38. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers,
39.nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

So it seems your scenario "Life on the playground" is just another conjured up imagination, half truth !!!

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 03-19-2011 at 08:34 AM..

Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,658,228 times
Brian...Brian...Brian...so sorry...if only you believed...you would see and know God's truth...as it is written...maybe some day...I pray...

All I need to know the whole truth is simply to open up my Bible and begin reading it...every single word in it is pure, God breathed truth...and I adore it!..It is truly pitiful how some regard His word as half truths and do all they can to discredit it. Woe be unto those who do this.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,751,702 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Brian...Brian...Brian...so sorry...if only you believed...you would see and know God's truth...as it is written...maybe some day...I pray...

All I need to know the whole truth is simply to open up my Bible and begin reading it...every single word in it is pure, God breathed truth...and I adore it!..It is truly pitiful how some regard His word as half truths and do all they can to discredit it. Woe be unto those who do this.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:19 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Brian, as someone who heard half-truths spoken about my beliefs on probably about a weekly basis, I thank you for pointing out the damage that can be done when people come to conclusions without having all of the facts.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post

What in Heaven's name did Brian say that prompted this statement? Honestly, if someone you often agreed with had posted it verbatim, your response would have been completely different.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:26 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,601 times
I'm blessed that you've been blessed, Katzpur!

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Here's and alternate scenario:

What if, instead, the teacher witnessed the entire interaction from the beginning?

Having witnessed the initial aggression, the teacher justly scolds Bobby, as he was the one who instigated the conflict. And she requires him to give Joey his truck back.
But Bobby begins to whine and cry, saying “No! I don't want to!” and “I hate you!” and “it's not fair!”

In spite of all these verbal attacks, the teacher has correctly dealt with the situation. In this case, it is Bobby's false accusations of “injustice” which are the problem. Not only has Bobby been caught for stealing and hitting Joey, but he is now also guilty of rebellion and falsely accusing his teacher of injustice.

From all this, we can see that truth may have many “elements” to it, and that just because we know one part of the truth, doesn't necessarily mean that we know the whole truth.

We may indeed often think we know the whole truth, but in reality perhaps we only know a part.

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-19-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Well for those who believe there is no such thing as half truth...... you believe God or you don't, that's just the way it is !!
About 95% of us who post on this forum regularly "believe God." What is to be gained by condemning people who understand certain verses in the Bible differently than you do? Honestly, why can't you see how much you're hurting your cause when you do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity