Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,005,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Not true.
Okay, so if it's not true, tell me why it's not.

Brian said we should look for the whole truth.

You said, "All I need to know the whole truth is simply to open up my Bible and begin reading it...every single word..."

Where and how did he suggest otherwise?

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-19-2011 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 07:21 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,840,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
About 95% of us who post on this forum regularly "believe God." What is to be gained by condemning people who understand certain verses in the Bible differently than you do? Honestly, why can't you see how much you're hurting your cause when you do this?
Cyber was paraphrasing a quote from the Bible...let your yea be yea and your nay be nay. Cyber also didnt accuse anyone but merely made an observation.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Cyber also didnt accuse anyone but merely made an observation.
What do you call this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Remember Katzpur.... there are three finger's pointing right back at ya.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:38 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,895,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Life on the playground:

Joey brought his new truck to school today, and is playing with it happily in the sandbox. Along comes Bobby, who sees the new toy and forcefully grabs it out of Joey's hands.
Joey starts crying, and Bobby hits him. As Joey tries to hit him back, the teacher comes out and sees Joey taking a swing at Bobby.
“Joey hit me!” Bobby accuses to the teacher (with new toy in hand.)
“Joey, go back into the school immediately!” the teacher demands, believing that she has justly resolved the conflict.

The statement “Joey hit me” is a true statement. Even the teacher saw that. Joey is indeed guilty of hitting Bobby.
Bobby, however, has already piled up a series of errors to his own credit, namely:
  • he stole Joey's truck
  • he hit Joey
  • he utilized a half-truth to his own selfish ends.
The poor teacher, convinced that she has brought justice to the playground, has not only increased injustice during recreation, but has also ruined her own credibility in the eyes of Joey, and is now seen by Bobby as easy to manipulate.

If the teacher had only been present from the beginning of the conflict, she would have been able to understand the entire scenario, and she probably would have judged the situation much differently.

I hope we can all see the relevance this type of scenario has for us, especially with regards to religion, and especially with regards to those of us who believe that we "have the truth."

May the Lord "guide us into all truth.."

Blessings,
brian
With all due respect, I only see one thing evident in your imaginary scenario.

It's this: One person, uneducated and ignorant to the truth of the events because they hadn't taken the time to investigate and observe, was deceived. Joey and Bobby both know full well who was "good" and who was "evil."

There is no "half-truth" in your scenario. Just an outright lie and deception that led an innocent to make a bad decision.

There's plenty on application for this forum. But not the way you tried to spin it.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
With all due respect, I only see one thing evident in your imaginary scenario.

It's this: One person, uneducated and ignorant to the truth of the events because they hadn't taken the time to investigate and observe, was deceived. Joey and Bobby both know full well who was "good" and who was "evil."
That's not the point. It was the teacher -- not Joey or Bobby -- who based her conclusion on half-truths. The fact that Joey hit Bobby was true, but it was not the whole truth because Bobby failed to acknowledge why Joey had hit him. Consequently, the teacher punished the wrong child.

Quote:
There's plenty on application for this forum. But not the way you tried to spin it.
What was wrong with how ahigherway "tried to spin it"? What is the correct application of the analogy in your opinion?

Old 03-19-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
That's not the point. It was the teacher -- not Joey or Bobby -- who based her conclusion on half-truths. The fact that Joey hit Bobby was true, but it was not the whole truth because Bobby failed to acknowledge why Joey had hit him. Consequently, the teacher punished the wrong child.

What was wrong with how ahigherway "tried to spin it"? What is the correct application of the analogy in your opinion?
I disagree. IN MY OPINION, ahigherway was saying that no one holds a corner on the market in Truth. The actual scenario PROVES otherwise.

Both Joey and Bobby do know the truth. And the teacher would have too had she been diligent in her research and observation.

The correct application: Know your stuff and be able to discern Truth.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I disagree. IN MY OPINION, ahigherway was saying that no one holds a corner on the market in Truth. The actual scenario PROVES otherwise.

Both Joey and Bobby do know the truth. And the teacher would have too had she been diligent in her research and observation.

The correct application: Know your stuff and be able to discern Truth.
Okay, you've made a good point. I just got something differen't out of the OP than you did. What I got out of it was that we need to be willing to take the time and make the effort to "know our stuff." There are so many people on this forum who simply refuse to look at anything from any perspective other than the one they're used to. For instance, they simply cannot admit that there might possibly be a verse in the Bible they hadn't stopped to consider. They are totally closed-minded to the mere suggestion that a verse might be interpreted in more ways than one.

I don't know for sure that the way I interpreted the OP was the way ahigherway wanted me to interpret the OP. I'm willing to admit that maybe he was saying what you thought he was saying. Are you willing to do the same?

Old 03-19-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Okay, you've made a good point. I just got something differen't out of the OP than you did. What I got out of it was that we need to be willing to take the time and make the effort to "know our stuff." There are so many people on this forum who simply refuse to look at anything from any perspective other than the one they're used to. For instance, they simply cannot admit that there might possibly be a verse in the Bible they hadn't stopped to consider. They are totally closed-minded to the mere suggestion that a verse might be interpreted in more ways than one.

I don't know for sure that the way I interpreted the OP was the way ahigherway wanted me to interpret the OP. I'm willing to admit that maybe he was saying what you thought he was saying. Are you willing to do the same?
Oh I'm quite confident that ahigherway probably meant something other than what I wrote. What I am actually saying is that his own OP works against what he was trying to convey.

Again though, it's just my opinion.

As far as your comment that different verses can be interpreted differently, this forum is a testament to that. However, I believe there is only one interpretation from any given verse that is true. There can be multiple applications, but not multiple truths.

I wrote a post a looooong time ago about this but I'm sure I can't find it.

Basically, if I wrote down "It's so cool to hang with my college friends", you and a thousand people could speculate for days about what I meant and argue about my words. However, if you know me.....really know me....studied other things I had written, knew my character, how I love and respond to people, had volumes and volumes of things I had said or things about me my closest friends had written....then you'd know I only meant one thing.

"It's nice to spend time with my college friends."

Multiple (mis)interpretations but only one CORRECT interpretation.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:32 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,704,417 times
Quote:
Quote:
About 95% of us who post on this forum regularly "believe God." What is to be gained by condemning people who understand certain verses in the Bible differently than you do?
Who did I condemn? No one. Not one single solitary person.

When did I ever say otherwise?

There is more than one way to communicate "the truth."

I already did, thanks. Moderator cut: sarcasm

Your statement in your op was.... "Honestly, why can't you see how much you're hurting your cause when you do this?" ...... by which I see you conveniently left it off, katzpur, is that not condemning another ???

And to what I was referring to with my post in stating..... "Remember Katzpur.... there are three finger's pointing right back at ya."

Old 03-19-2011, 11:45 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,114,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post

Well for those who believe there is no such thing as half truth.

So it seems your scenario "Life on the playground" is just another conjured up imagination, half truth !!!
So does that mean you don't believe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity