Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 AM

31 posts, read 31,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Shadow, I have seen your question before. I could not answer at that time because I needed to think about it. I finally decided the answer is 'Yes'.

From reading the bible, I have observed that god is good at making things (like the universe) but not so good at doing things. For example, when he wanted the Midianites killed off (see the first sentence in Numbers 31) he told the Israelites to do it, I assume because it would have been difficult for him to do it himself.

If he could not kill off a few thousend people by himself, he probably would not be able to life a truly huge stone.

He mass murders people all the time. Wars, storms, earthquakes. Thanks for admitting he is not omnificent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 01:43 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,902,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowEyes View Post
He mass murders people all the time. Wars, storms, earthquakes. Thanks for admitting he is not omnificent.
God does no such things!

Wars are made by people.

Storms and earthquakes are simply bad things that happen when god is not looking.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:48 PM

164 posts, read 265,187 times
No, He can't, He doesn't work against Himself like that, He doesn't do something that is too big for Him to fix, and He doesn't cause problems He can't solve, I think being young and all that even I don't do things like that, I don't think how can I do something so big I can't fix it or get through it, so you figure God must somehow not say, I will do and create and then strugle because what I did was so vast I can't deal with it, but you know people like this kind of thing, and it would seem you meeee that this is a bit different for the answer is so easy...

Old 04-23-2011, 02:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,140,410 times
Quote:
Your answer seems to be all over the place and avoiding my questtion. You did address it one time when you admitted he is not omnificent by saying he can't make a stone too heavy for him to lift.
Obviously you did not read or understand my answer... carry on.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:00 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,567,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
That makes sense, Lego. I figured He could do whatever he desires, but on the other hand I see what you mean that a triangle is always going to be a triangle and God is always going to be God.
God can do whatever he desires.

Omnificent means: unlimited in creative power

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/omnificent

Quote:
Okay, if you're right, I've just proved that your god is not omnificent.
I think you are too clever for yourself

Maybe you should try another word.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:17 PM

Mr5150, I know what the word means. Christians use it all the time to describe their god. I'm just challenging you with facts but I realize that Christians don't like to deal with fact.

As expected, I think I got you on this one. There is no other answer other that he is a fake god with fake self descriptions. I'll keep looking for a logical answer other than "he just doesn't want to", etc.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Mr5150, I know what the word means. Christians use it all the time to describe their god. I'm just challenging you with facts but I realize that Christians don't like to deal with fact.

As expected, I think I got you on this one. There is no other answer other that he is a fake god with fake self descriptions. I'll keep looking for a logical answer other than "he just doesn't want to", etc.
Dream on. We said God can do whatever He wants.

Please understand that your "facts" are nothing more than a trick of pseudo logic. Falls flat. Like saying if the sky were Red would plants still have Green leaves?

Here are the three terms that Christians always use to describe God.

Omnipotent: all powerful
Omiscient: all knowing
Omnipresent: everywhere at once. Meaning in two or more places at once.

Christians never really use Omnificent (I actually never heard of the word before), but I suppose that word could work as God is free to create what ever He desires or to not create what He doesn't desire. Goes back to my retort: Why would God want to create a rock He can't lift? Illogical given the attributes of God.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:36 PM

Use all the omni-s you want. I have still proved you wrong. Basic logic will get you guys everytime. I'd prefer any reply in the open forum rather than you hiding behind a private message as you just did. Come on out in the open.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Use all the omni-s you want. I have still proved you wrong. Basic logic will get you guys everytime. I'd prefer any reply in the open forum rather than you hiding behind a private message as you just did. Come on out in the open.
I am not allowed to say the things in public I said to you in Private on this forum.

Also consider it is very bad form to repeat in public what is said in private.

But with that said, I say the only person who you have convinced is yourself. You have proved nothing. But if you think I am wrong please outline why.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:27 PM

I have already outlined my thoughts on this subject and will move on now that I see you don't have an answer. I guess I'm in the wrong forum to expect a logical answer. Your reference to a "gun fight" freightens me a bit since I know how Christian try to settle arguments with violence.

Bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity