Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:46 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,221,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Yep. Ego wreaks havoc. Love never fails.
Jesus said we had to DIE TO SELF for a damn good reason...I wonder why no one ever takes that into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 02:53 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Do not confuse human emotions with God's love.
God's love is easily recognizable.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.(i like this one especially) 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. . 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Verse 5 Love is not easily angered. How many posts have there been recently about how we are in the end times and God who is love who is not easily angered is about to happen on the earth and do stuff in anger, that has not even entered into the minds of men to do.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:57 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,544,425 times
Quote:
Do not confuse human emotions with God's love.
Emotions are the only way we humans can monitor the 100s of 1000s of thoughts we have each day. Love is a feeling that occurs when you are thinking good thoughts. Your feeling of love should be ever-present. so one must perpetuate only those thoughts that fill us up with love in order to see God. Wouldn't you say?

Don't confuse emotions, or ignore them. They indicate to others our state of mind.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:58 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How many posts have there been recently about how we are in the end times and God who is love who is not easily angered is about to happen on the earth and do stuff in anger, that has not even entered into the minds of men to do.
Once you read up on that topic, you might discover the root causes of your confusion. God was not easily angered during the time of the flood either, but He was angered nonetheless.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Jesus said we had to DIE TO SELF for a damn good reason...I wonder why no one ever takes that into consideration.
Flesh (self,ego) is damned in many places in the bible.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:03 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I see this as nothing more than dying to the old way of thinking. When we do, His thoughts become our thoughts and His ways become our ways. I think somebody already touched on the ways and thoughts of God from the beautitudes.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Don't confuse emotions, or ignore them. They indicate to others our state of mind.
No, I don't confuse them, but when people claim that their love for their dog equates to love for God then it is clear they have confused something.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
No, I don't confuse them, but when people claim that their love for their dog equates to love for God then it is clear they have confused something.
Not really. Think about loving a dog. You are showing God to that dog. It's not about the dog, that's just the object of the infatuation. The important thing is the person is showing his God-side by loving and feeling love. Ends with becoming more loving, more loved (reciprocation), and more thoughts aligned with God, IOW becoming more like God. Isn't that the goal? Whether the object of the infatuation is a dog, another person, or your brand new car... Isn't being in love (in God) always a good thing?

Old 05-01-2011, 03:18 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,946,366 times
This is such an excellent thread.

Quote:
Yep. Ego wreaks havoc. Love never fails.

Ego definitely wreaks havoc. It's like a dam. It must be broken down so love can flow freely. So much suffering and love being blocked and WITHHELD. And it is experienced throughout such a large spectrum. From a split second, slight nuance, slight rejection to the destruction of nations.

Ego says "I am important, I am separate from you"
Love says "We are important, We are ONE."
And behaves accordingly.

Die to self, just like Christy said.

and Pleroo:

Quote:
And here's where trust comes in ... I don't know how I've gotten here into the Light. I'm not sure how it all works or how Jesus fits into it (if at all). But I'm here and I trust that the Light of Love will scatter the shadows, as Sparrow said. I certainly hope that IF it's because of Jesus that I'm here, that someday soon I will see it for myself. But I'm not waiting for that revelation to happen before I focus on Love.
Such raw, honest beauty in those words.
I especially love your last sentence.
To me, it is the way things ought to be.
It is REAL.
peace,
sparrow

Old 05-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Not really. Think about loving a dog. You are showing God to that dog. It's not about the dog, that's just the object of the infatuation. The important thing is the person is showing his God-side by loving and feeling love. Ends with becoming more loving, more loved (reciprocation), and more thoughts aligned with God, IOW becoming more like God. Isn't that the goal? Whether the object of the infatuation is a dog, another person, or your brand new car... Isn't being in love (in God) always a good thing?
OK, you expand loving your car to loving God. I guess loving money counts too. I think I mentioned earlier that this kind of love equates to nothing less than idolatry.

Loving IN GOD is a good thing, but what people are trying to prove is that you can substitute love for God by loving something else. It removes God out of the equation, and then it is not loving IN GOD anymore, it is simply love as a human emotion. Yes, people love puppies and new cars, but it is not godly love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity