Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:31 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,544,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
OK, you expand loving your car to loving God. I guess loving money counts too. I think I mentioned earlier that this kind of love equates to nothing less than idolatry.

Loving IN GOD is a good thing, but what people are trying to prove is that you can substitute love for God by loving something else. It removes God out of the equation, and then it is not loving IN GOD anymore, it is simply love as a human emotion. Yes, people love puppies and new cars, but it is not godly love.
I think what you are saying is that the object of the love matters. Like the object of your love, i.e. car, is what shows God's involvement?

Perhaps God gave that new car to that person, or increased their wage, etc. Then loving that car or money is praise to the giver, isn't it?

The abuse of love doesn't come with a feeling of love. A lust of money is not a feeling of love in my experience. The feeling reflects the thoughts. Loving a car or loving your money is simply being thankful for it. Thankfulness shows God and is in that "good thought" category with love, couldn't we say?

God is love.... Showing love shows God. IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 03:32 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times
Quote:
Once you read up on that topic, you might discover the root causes of your confusion. God was not easily angered during the time of the flood either, but He was angered nonetheless.
Here you go again Finn Jarber taking everything literal from the scriptures to resist and justify why you DO NOT believe LOVE IS the greatest(1 Cor 13:13).Do you know what i see when the world was flooded ? Me. Do you know what i see when fire and brimstone rained down on Sodom and Gomorrah ? Me'. Do you know what i see when Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt ? Me. Me the chief of sinners, yet when i turn my eyes upon Jesus Christ i see how God see's me. Grace and Truth came through Jesus Christ, take your eyes of the flood and Sodom and Gommorah Mr Jarber and onto Jesus Christ and see how God see's you and the world.Your literal reading of the scriptures is not only condemning you(this is why you believe in damnation, because your heart condemns you), but it is also causing you to condemn all those who do not agree with your literal interpretation of it to damnation too. The bible is not a history book,it's a spiritual book about you, I and Jesus Christ and should be read in no other way.

But God shows and clearly proves His [own] love FOR US by the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One) died for us. Romans 5:8

Love NEVER fails 1 Cor 13:8. Never in the mind of the Fundy is as good as forever and ever or eternity. How are you going to prove the Love of God never fails throughout the forever and ever you believe in.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
OK, you expand loving your car to loving God. I guess loving money counts too. I think I mentioned earlier that this kind of love equates to nothing less than idolatry.

Loving IN GOD is a good thing, but what people are trying to prove is that you can substitute love for God by loving something else. It removes God out of the equation, and then it is not loving IN GOD anymore, it is simply love as a human emotion. Yes, people love puppies and new cars, but it is not godly love.
So can you explain to us what your understanding of love is ? especially as you seem to suggest love and God are not the same.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:14 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,407,564 times
Quote:
Loving IN GOD is a good thing, but what people are trying to prove is that you can substitute love for God by loving something else.
It removes God out of the equation, and then it is not loving IN GOD anymore, it is simply love as a human emotion.
Yes, people love puppies and new cars, but it is not godly love.
What's with these substitution theories?

Matthew 22:36-40

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?

And He said to him, 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART,
AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND
.'
This is the great and foremost commandment.

The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS [you love] YOURSELF.'

On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Last edited by Jerwade; 05-01-2011 at 05:25 PM..

Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' This is the great and foremost commandment.

I know it's hard for many to see but there is no difference in either of these 2 commandments,they are the same, you do one you automatically are fulfilling the other.

Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.1 John 4:8

Old 05-01-2011, 05:34 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,544,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I know it's hard for many to see but there is no difference in either of these 2 commandments,they are the same, you do one you automatically are fulfilling the other.

Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.1 John 4:8
When in the act of loving you know God.... Because God IS love.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:35 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:

AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' This is the great and foremost commandment.

Substitution means taking God out of the picture, and pretending that "great and foremost commandment" can be removed and completetly replaced by the second.

Love God and love your neighbor. BOTH.

You love God MORE than yourself, and your neighbor as yourself.

IMO it is heresy to claim that you can openly reject God, and still be saved by loving a dog or a neighbor.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-01-2011 at 06:16 PM..

Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Substitution means taking God out of the picture,...
No, it means to remove yourself.
To love others is to love God, for he first loved us.

"His image reflects in a pool of calm water; a sea of glass."

Old 05-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Because God IS love.
Love Never Fails.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:
No, it means to remove yourself.
What do you mean by "it"???

I am talking about the argument of this thread, and it removes God out of the picture because it assumes God is sufficiently pleased even of people reject Him, as long as they love each other (or a dog or a car). I do not agree with that. Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity