Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:38 AM

27,417 posts, read 27,460,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I am asking this with candour and not to inflame anyone. But is it possible to consider yourself Christian if you buy from multi national corporations who violate human rights, employ children and adults in appalling and slave conditions.

Would Jesus for example shop at Wal-Mart or buy Nike sneakers should he walk the earth now ? Would not a man of peace who preached love and tolerance be the first one calling for a boycott of non ethically traded goods ? Would he not fight for the right of the people who are exploited and trafficked every day in the name of greed ?

Isn't part of being a Christian, ensuring that human rights and human dignity is preserved in the domestic and foreign trade markets ? If god created the earth and humans isn't it our duty to do everything in our power to ensure that justice prevails and good stewardship of the earth is respected.

I am interested to find out what Christian posters feel about the issue. If we ignore the plight of others and allow such unprincipled commerce because it is either cheaper or more convenient aren't we being greedy or slothful as well as condoning an evil trade ?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." — Jesus (c. 5 B.C. - A.D. 32 ) in the Gospels, Matthew 7:12, Matthew 22:39, Luke 6:31, Luke 10:2

I was wondering whether your Churches are active in lobbying corporations and governments and do you try your utmost to avoid goods produced in slave conditions or which are environmentally destructive for example?
I know that some Baptist churches have boycotted Wal-Mart and that Churches in the UK have been actively involved in the Fair Trade Campaign. Which denominations in your opinion are the most active in ethical shopping?

What is your take on this ?

ASDA Wal-Mart : Corporate Crimes
Can Christians Shop at Wal-Mart in Good Conscience (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/christians_shop.php - broken link)
Wake-Up Wal-Mart Blog: Would Jesus Shop at Wal-Mart? (http://blog.wakeupwalmart.com/ufcw/2006/12/would_jesus_sho.html - broken link)
Adventures in Ethical Consumerism: Ten Worst Corporations of 2004
Nike's Labor Practices - Business Ethics Case Studies - ICMR (http://www.icmr.icfai.org/casestudies/catalogue/Business%20Ethics/BECG018.htm - broken link)

For anyone interested in ethical shopping :

ethical shopping information for the ethical consumer

Unfortunately there arent too many options out there anymore. Most big-name retailers (Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Kmart, to name just a few) carry things that are all made in China by the slaves.
You cant even buy some electronics or small appliances anymore that havent been assembled by some 18c a day slave. There arent too many choices for some of us who cant afford top-name brand clothes that dont have a "China" tag on them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 AM

292 posts, read 935,482 times
Default Grace, grace.

Thankfully you can't lose your salvation because you shop a certain place. So the answer is, yes, you can be a Christian even if you don't shop ethically.
If a person looked hard enough, you could probably find fault with any place you could shop at.
Reminds me also now of people. How you can also find fault concerning anyone but should you then shun them?
I think not. God is all about grace. Thank God for that!
Grace to you!
Jean

Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 AM

Talking I loved this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
To those of you who are so involved in shopping ethically, let me ask you...do you buy gas? From oil companies that pollute and rape the environment? Do you drive a car made by auto manufacturers that buy materials from companies that exploit the environment? Do you shop in stores in new (or old) shopping centers that were built on formerly pristine farmland, ranchland, et al? Do you watch television, considering the hypocrisy, hatred and immorality that Hollywood spews? Are you currently using Microsoft software, a company that has been accused of myriad anti-competitive practices?

Does anyone get my point? Get off your soapbox and live your own life. Don't tell me or anyone else how to live (or shop, or think). Each of us can only do the best that we can do. The original question was "can a person be a Christian if you don't shop ethically?" The answer is YES. Christ asks us to accept HIM, not SHOP for him. Yes, we are to be as Christlike as possible. But NOBODY can shop 100% ethically. It's virtually impossible. And no one has the right to tell anyone else how they should shop or what companies they should or shouldn't promote.

In the end, the only thing that matters is Jesus. NOT Wal-Mart, NOT Nordstrom, NOT Microsoft or GM. It's all about Jesus. He expects you to do your best--and everyone else's opinion is useless.
So good, so very very good! ~amen~

Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
You see now I can sit here and say how I give money and goods to missions in other parts of the world as well as support food banks and shelters here in my local community, support local artisans of other parts of the world by buying their products (which I couldn't have with out globalization, BTW), and have gone on health care missions to bring medical care and vacinations to thousands of needy children, and that I do animal rescue which may or may not be important to others but I think it is. But I guess it's more important for me not to shop at Walmart? That will never make sense to me.
Good for you irishmom! I think the animal rescue would be important too! God bless you!
Jean

Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,262,816 times
Originally Posted by Ruralgalnebraska
Quote:
I think not. God is all about grace.
If God is all about grace, why do many Christians condemn sexually active homosexuals by calling them sinners?
I mean is it okay for a Christian to shop in a store when the storeowner is gay?

Old 11-05-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No, it's not ok, but our salvation is not tied to shopping.

It's tied to Jesus Christ.

Condoning evil and buying a toy that we have no idea how it was made are two totally different things.

What makes a person a Christian?

The way they shop?

Or Christ?
Yep! ~amen~

Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM

86 posts, read 418,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I can't afford to have morals when I shop right now, LOL.
This says it all right here. Most very devout Christians are also poor, so their family of nine shows up to Wal-mart after service on Sundays.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:40 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,040,398 times
NSX: Where do you get your information? "Most very devout Christians are also poor..." I'm not familiary with that demographic information. I can point out to you many middle class and affluent Christians. "Family of nine"? Your prejudice and cynicism comes through loud and clear.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:55 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,086,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1990 View Post
This says it all right here. Most very devout Christians are also poor, so their family of nine shows up to Wal-mart after service on Sundays.
ahh.. define poor.. I'm guessing to them their lives are truly rich.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:00 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,624,769 times
i do not consider myself a true christian. all christian disciples inc christ were dead very young and died a martyrs death violently. im 59. so i dont fit the profile.
most i know love life way too much to be a "true" christian.
how bout you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity