Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:18 AM

110 posts, read 108,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And I would say that it is possible that they had insights that have merit and can contribute, along with the insights of others, past and present, to an understanding of who/what God may be.
Insight yes. But this is not de facto evidence of God's existence. It's merely evidence that these people believed it exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 11:58 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,411,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBeavs View Post
Insight yes. But this is not de facto evidence of God's existence. It's merely evidence that these people believed it exists.
That may very well be. I simply don't dismiss it out of hand as having no relevance or insight into the subject simply because some of it may be allegorical or mythical, which is what your first post seemed to imply must be the case.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:15 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,891,768 times
I have to wonder to what degree problems with translation from the original text cloud our understanding of what actually happened during the creation account?
Like: does the translation "earth" mean planet earth, or does earth mean dry ground you can walk on?
Genesis says that in the beginning the earth was "formless and void". What does that mean? That it was formless and void because there was no form of dry ground anywhere that one could walk on?...that everything everywhere was covered by water? (as that author claims) Could be...
When we read in Genesis 1:14-18, it speaks about the stars, sun, moon, etc appearing in the sky. It doesn't actually say they were created at that time, it just says "let there be lights in the firmament of heaven". I see nothing in that Bible text to indicate the stars, sun, moon, etc were actually created then....they could have already existed, but not seen due to a cover of dense clouds over the entire earth...perhaps then God removed the curtain of clouds...
I think we do indeed see in a glass darkly...and I think we often read something into the creation account that it doesn't actually say...that we are quick to assume things. Just "IMO"...

Bud

Old 07-01-2011, 12:41 PM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBeavs View Post
Actually, there are hominid fossils from 4 million years ago. It's arbitrary to refer to any human remains as being modern "humans" since evolution is a continuum -- there is no instantaneous moment where people went from cro-mags to "homo sapien."
We are NOT just physical beings so the evolution of the particular physical container that first received the insemination of our Spirit ("living Soul") determines nothing. It is the capabilities of that Spirit that determine our humanity . . . not our physical characteristics or their evolution.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:48 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,645,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakelite View Post
Wow, the seven day week has survived for 6000 years after being based on an allegory? Or is it perhaps that God fully intended the week to last because He established it as a witness to His Creative power.
Let me remind you of what the gospel is all about. It is about worship. And we worship God because He is worthy. Why is God worthy of our worship? Because He is our Creator.
Revelation 14:6 ¶ And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Here folks is God's own testimony written by His own hand on tables of stone. Not an allegory, fable, myth, or lie. Either you believe God, or you don't. It isn't about science, logic, reason, or intelligence. It is about who and what you trust. Is God a liar?
I agree!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:12 AM

234 posts, read 238,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
If you are referring to the sabbth, you have interpreted it wrong. The sabbath is a day of rest from the world, not from doing anything. It's a time to reflect on life, beauty, goodness, peace, joy, hope, forgiveness and mercy. A day to return to Love. It's not about days of the week or what God would have you not do. I'd explain the rest of what the "six days" mean but you still wouldn't get it so I'll leave it at that.
This thread is not about the Sabbath, nor was I speaking of the Sabbath. I was referring to the written words of God on stone contained in the Ten Commandments which state categorically that He made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and all that is in them in six days. That these words happen to be contained in the specific commandment to do with the Sabbath is also significant, but is not the point. The fact remains that not only did God Himself speak those words in the hearing of over 1 million people, but were written word for word by His own finger on stone, which even today, over 3000 years later, we speak of denoting permanence.
Now either you accept the written testimony of God, or you don't. And if you cannot accept even the Ten Commandments as being God's word, then what is? If you throw out that small but essential portion of scripture, then you may as well throw out the entire Bible and make up your own religion; but do God and all of us a favour and stop calling it Christianity.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:07 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,029,774 times
Quote:
This thread is not about the Sabbath, nor was I speaking of the Sabbath. I was referring to the written words of God on stone contained in the Ten Commandments which state categorically that He made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and all that is in them in six days. That these words happen to be contained in the specific commandment to do with the Sabbath is also significant, but is not the point. The fact remains that not only did God Himself speak those words in the hearing of over 1 million people, but were written word for word by His own finger on stone, which even today, over 3000 years later, we speak of denoting permanence.
Now either you accept the written testimony of God, or you don't. And if you cannot accept even the Ten Commandments as being God's word, then what is? If you throw out that small but essential portion of scripture, then you may as well throw out the entire Bible and make up your own religion; but do God and all of us a favour and stop calling it Christianity.
Sorry your having a bad day.

The sabbath commandment is the commandment in which the six days are mentioned and that is why the subject was brought up. If we interpret the true meanings correctly and not what some minister or priest has made them out ot be, then it's literally impossible for creation and evolution to happen in six days. I respect the ten commandments and I live my life in Love, which covers all of them. When love is the guiding force, the ten commandments are not necessary because Love does not do anything that is not in harmony with God since God is love. All harmony begins with Love.

The seven days are refering to the rhythm of the universe.

"That rhythm is played out as six beats to one pause, six points to one center, six planes and one surface, six men and one leader, six factors and one purpose, six actions and one rest. (The last is what was written in the ten commandments). Observing the rhythms is part of respect for Divine order."

You believe what you want though but you should know that you should never question anothers faith and trust in God and what He has laid out for them.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Sorry your having a bad day.
Thankyou for your kind concern, but my day is great.
Quote:
it's literally impossible for creation and evolution to happen in six days.
Ps 33:9 For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast. You say categorically that this is impossible?
Quote:
I respect the ten commandments and I live my life in Love, which covers all of them. When love is the guiding force, the ten commandments are not necessary because Love does not do anything that is not in harmony with God since God is love. All harmony begins with Love.
With this I agree. But it doesn't void God's written word. God wrote explicitly six days. period.
Quote:
The seven days are refering to the rhythm of the universe.

"That rhythm is played out as six beats to one pause, six points to one center, six planes and one surface, six men and one leader, six factors and one purpose, six actions and one rest. (The last is what was written in the ten commandments). Observing the rhythms is part of respect for Divine order."
I have no idea where you quoted this from, and quite frankly, dont want to. I agree that there are 'rythyms' in life, but one must remember that these rythyms were also created byu God as with all natural laws, and like all natural laws, He can do what He likes with them.
Quote:
You believe what you want though but you should know that you should never question anothers faith and trust in God and what He has laid out for them.
I will question and challenge anybody who claims they are Christian but reject the foundations upon which Christianity rest. And if they use foundations other than scripture, then I will most assuredly question whether their faith is Christian.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:55 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,029,774 times
Quote:
Thankyou for your kind concern, but my day is great.

Ps 33:9 For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast. You say categorically that this is impossible?
With this I agree. But it doesn't void God's written word. God wrote explicitly six days. period.
I have no idea where you quoted this from, and quite frankly, dont want to. I agree that there are 'rythyms' in life, but one must remember that these rythyms were also created byu God as with all natural laws, and like all natural laws, He can do what He likes with them.

I will question and challenge anybody who claims they are Christian but reject the foundations upon which Christianity rest. And if they use foundations other than scripture, then I will most assuredly question whether their faith is Christian.
When you remember who you are, you'll see that you have been misled when it comes to anothers beliefs and connection to God. No one has 100% of the same beliefs as another so it looks like your on your own. Each of us has a path and it's not for you to judge them. Remember, when you judge another, you are merely putting judgemnt on your own love for each other. Your awakening will be a rude one. Have a blessed day.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
When you remember who you are, you'll see that you have been misled when it comes to anothers beliefs and connection to God. No one has 100% of the same beliefs as another so it looks like your on your own. Each of us has a path and it's not for you to judge them. Remember, when you judge another, you are merely putting judgemnt on your own love for each other. Your awakening will be a rude one. Have a blessed day.
And you still haven't answered my principle challenge...either God's written word as contained in the ten commandments regarding a six day literal creation is true, or it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity