Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:22 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakelite View Post
And you still haven't answered my principle challenge...either God's written word as contained in the ten commandments regarding a six day literal creation is true, or it isn't.
No, not true. It takes billions of years for a planet to evolve enough to sustain life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 07:36 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
I will question and challenge anybody who claims they are Christian but reject the foundations upon which Christianity rest. And if they use foundations other than scripture, then I will most assuredly question whether their faith is Christian.
Odd, I thought Christianity rests upon the saving power of Christ, not a Jewish mythological story about the creation of the universe

Your faith is one that is built on sand not rock.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
And you still haven't answered my principle challenge...either God's written word as contained in the ten commandments regarding a six day literal creation is true, or it isn't.
So you believe that the Earth is flat and geocentric do you brake? That's what God's written word says, and that's what the Church believed for hundreds of years based on the Bible.

Or do you cherry pick the geocentric/flat verses and claim they are just metaphor?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:17 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Hi everyone A few things to consider. First the term in the original scripture is the word YOM which can mean a day and most times does but it can also mean a period of time. So in Genesis where it say and the evening and the morning were the first day could be translated, and the evening and the morning were the first time period.
Well you could do, if you want to ignore what it actually says and turn it into what you want it to say.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 PM

234 posts, read 238,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
So you believe that the Earth is flat and geocentric do you brake? That's what God's written word says, and that's what the Church believed for hundreds of years based on the Bible.

Or do you cherry pick the geocentric/flat verses and claim they are just metaphor?
Mmmmm...would be interested in seeing these flat earth verses.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:42 PM

The Flat-Earth Bible.

This is how the Ancient Hebrews viewed the universe. This is a literal view directly from the Bible.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
The Flat-Earth Bible.

This is how the Ancient Hebrews viewed the universe. This is a literal view directly from the Bible.
Doesn't answer my question. I asked for Bible verses depicting a flat earth, not an ancient Jew's interpretation of the scriptures.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Doesn't answer my question. I asked for Bible verses depicting a flat earth, not an ancient Jew's interpretation of the scriptures.
That link explains why the Earth was viewed as flat. However, here are a few verses on a flat/geocentric earth. Knowing of course you will no doubt claim metaphor or these are accurate I will explain why they are wrong (in blue).

Matthew 4:8
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

It's impossible to see every part of the world standing at one point on a spherical earth. On a flat earth, about the size of the middle east, you could most likely see everything from a very tall mountain.

Isaiah 40:22 "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

You will no doubt claim a circle is a sphere. It's not. In fact, the earth isn't even a sphere, it's an oblate spheroid. A circle is a 2 dimensional object, as is the word that the Hebrew uses in the Tanakh. It's also impossible to stretch out the heavens like a tent over a spherical earth, as it would only cover part of the earth, not the entire thing. A flat surface, however, like a disk as described in this verse (and shown in my picture) could most certainly be covered by a tent.

Job 38: 13 "that it might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it?

Spheres don't have edges.

Psalm 104:5 "He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.

A geocentric verse. The earth most certainly moves, both around its own axis, and through the solar system. There are many Biblical verses describing the Earth being sat upon pillars that do not move, much like a pedastool in the middle of the universe. It's also rather hard to set a sphere on top of a pillar foundation. A flat disk, however, would sit nicely on pillars.

Ecc 1:5 "The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises.

I'm sure you'll claim this is metaphor, since we colloquially use this language, however, there was no such thing as heliocentrism back then. The authors actually believed the sun moves around the Earth. When you believe the Earth is stationary, and you see the sun moving across the sky, the only logical explanation back then was that the sun moves around the Earth.

Genesis 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

A firmament, in Hebrew was a solid dome that sat on top of the flat Earth ( as shown in the picture I posted). That dome had actual windows notched out of it, in order to allow the water that was sitting on top of the dome to pour through those windows and flood the Earth.

I'll be awaiting your twisted apologetics to claim this was all metaphor and they actually believed the modern day conception of the universe. Of course, claiming metaphor destroys your "it must all be literal" theory.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:02 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
I'll be awaiting your twisted apologetics to claim this was all metaphor.....
Me too. Good work fella!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
That link explains why the Earth was viewed as flat. However, here are a few verses on a flat/geocentric earth. Knowing of course you will no doubt claim metaphor or these are accurate I will explain why they are wrong (in blue).

Matthew 4:8
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

It's impossible to see every part of the world standing at one point on a spherical earth. On a flat earth, about the size of the middle east, you could most likely see everything from a very tall mountain.

Isaiah 40:22 "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

You will no doubt claim a circle is a sphere. It's not. In fact, the earth isn't even a sphere, it's an oblate spheroid. A circle is a 2 dimensional object, as is the word that the Hebrew uses in the Tanakh. It's also impossible to stretch out the heavens like a tent over a spherical earth, as it would only cover part of the earth, not the entire thing. A flat surface, however, like a disk as described in this verse (and shown in my picture) could most certainly be covered by a tent.

Job 38: 13 "that it might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it?

Spheres don't have edges.

Psalm 104:5 "He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.

A geocentric verse. The earth most certainly moves, both around its own axis, and through the solar system. There are many Biblical verses describing the Earth being sat upon pillars that do not move, much like a pedastool in the middle of the universe. It's also rather hard to set a sphere on top of a pillar foundation. A flat disk, however, would sit nicely on pillars.

Ecc 1:5 "The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises.

I'm sure you'll claim this is metaphor, since we colloquially use this language, however, there was no such thing as heliocentrism back then. The authors actually believed the sun moves around the Earth. When you believe the Earth is stationary, and you see the sun moving across the sky, the only logical explanation back then was that the sun moves around the Earth.

Genesis 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

A firmament, in Hebrew was a solid dome that sat on top of the flat Earth ( as shown in the picture I posted). That dome had actual windows notched out of it, in order to allow the water that was sitting on top of the dome to pour through those windows and flood the Earth.

I'll be awaiting your twisted apologetics to claim this was all metaphor and they actually believed the modern day conception of the universe. Of course, claiming metaphor destroys your "it must all be literal" theory.
Here are 2 links (yes, I can use google) that I think adequately answers your sceptical insinuations.Does the Bible teach that the Earth is flat?
Does the Bible Teach a Flat Earth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity