Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Christ fail to accomplish Gods desire to save all people?
Yes 13 23.21%
No 31 55.36%
I don't believe that Jesus is the word of God! 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:21 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,395,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Hell isn't something Christians need to worry about anyway. It's someplace we need to help the lost worry about and avoid.
And how pray tell, will you or anyone else avoid the grave?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:34 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,240,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
And how pray tell, will you or anyone else avoid the grave?
Well, I could say that my hope rests in Jesus for eternal life and not eternal sleep in the grave.... that's what Christianity is all about. Eternal life. Not the grave.

However, I truthfully was using the word "Hell" to address the topic of eternal torment, which is the concept we are discussing here, and not in the sense of the old Hebrew meaining of "Sheol". That is what most orthodox Christians think of, even though most of us know full well what the original sense of "Sheol" was to the Hebrews.

But, no matter which sense we speak of, Jesus is the long and short of how believers avoid Hell.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Well, I could say that my hope rests in Jesus for eternal life and not eternal sleep in the grave.... that's what Christianity is all about. Eternal life. Not the grave.

However, I truthfully was using the word "Hell" to address the topic of eternal torment, which is the concept we are discussing here, and not in the sense of the old Hebrew meaining of "Sheol". That is what most orthodox Christians think of, even though most of us know full well what the original sense of "Sheol" was to the Hebrews.

But, no matter which sense we speak of, Jesus is the long and short of how believers avoid Hell.
All will experience the state of dying, including the so called believer.
Therefore, I will ask you again: How will you or anyone else avoid the grave?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
All will experience the state of dying, including the so called believer.
Therefore, I will ask you again: How will you or anyone else avoid the grave?
This is basic Christian doctrine. However, I reiterate that I was using the word "Hell" in the context of this thread. Not in the context of the word "Sheol". Sheol and The Lake of Fire are two different Biblical concepts often described by one common word.

When a believer dies, he/she immediately goes to be with the Lord in paradise, awaiting the day when he/she will be resurrected into an eternal glorified body to forever dwell in the presence of God in the golden city of New Jerusalem.

The state of dying is far more than physical death. It can be spiritual death as well - or merely the doorway to eternal life.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
This is basic Christian doctrine. However, I reiterate that I was using the word "Hell" in the context of this thread. Not in the context of the word "Sheol". Sheol and The Lake of Fire are two different Biblical concepts often described by one common word.
In other words, you are equating the Lake of Fire with that of Gehenna?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
In other words, you are equating the Lake of Fire with that of Gehenna?
I do believe that Gehenna is used in Revelations, translated to Lake of Fire. It definitely isn't Sheol.

Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 07-17-2011 at 03:52 AM..

Old 07-17-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
I do believe that Gehenna is used in Revelations, translated to Lake of Fire. It definitely isn't Sheol.
Gehenna and the Lake of Fire refer to judgment, but neither is eternal.
Although you are correct, it's not Sheol (or Hades for that matter).

Old 07-17-2011, 07:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
You don't want to have a God like we have Who will not let anyone suffer forever. If you are an employer or a parent, I genuinely feel sorry for the people under you and your children because your sense of justice is bound to filter down to the way you treat them.
My comment is not difficult to understand, and it had nothing to do with God, real God or UR god. Read my comment again.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
And IMO your opinion about God tell us more about you than about God because this is your idea of justice.
I did not invent the laws of God, - God did.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
This is a red herring argument.

First you presuppose that Christ is attempting to accomplish something that is contrary to God's nature. You also presuppose that this is what God wants Christ to accomplish - something that God's law does not permit to happen.

The fact that God DESIRES all men to be saved is not the same thing as saying that God WILL save all men, including those who don't want salvation.

You are the one who doesn't represent God's word.
It has been explained some 10-20 times on this thread that Jesus never had such mission, so it is indeed a red herring argument. It is impossible to fail in a mission you were never assigned to.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

An honest question would be to ask if Jesus will fail in His mission to save those who believe in Him, and the answer to that question would be NO, HE WILL NOT FAIL IN HIS MISSION.

Even Isaish 55, which URs always use when trying to prove their point (by cherry picking one verse out of context), speaks about God's desire being to offer us a free gift, but we must come, seek, call and turn to Him in order to get it. It says nothing about forcing all people to accept the gift.

It is an INVITATION. God invites us to come, seek, call and turn to Him so He can offer us a free gift. God's desire if to INVITE us to free dinner. Read also the parable of the wedding, where the owner of the house INVITES everyone, but only a few came. Also, Jesus said only a few will choose the narrow gate, and that we must strive to enter through it. Everything in the Bible is in sync.

Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.
Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near.
7 Let the wicked forsake their ways and the unrighteous their thoughts.
Let them turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on them, and to our God, for he will freely pardon.
8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10 As the rain and the snow some down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish,so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-17-2011 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity