Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 PM

193 posts, read 1,027,837 times

Advertisements

I love the book of John. I can not pin point the verse because the whole book means so much to me. What book or verse has meant alot to you in your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 12:30 PM

204 posts, read 507,887 times
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

I love this because it shows us God's love, God's plan, and God's reward for us all in the same verse. It sum's up everything.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:51 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
I love the book of John. I can not pin point the verse because the whole book means so much to me. What book or verse has meant alot to you in your life?
Too many! Here's a few...

The entire chapter of Isaiah 53 is just beautiful, and usually moves me to tears.

"Who gave himself a ransom for ALL, to be testified in due time." 1Tim 2:6 This one sums up SO much for me...

"AND I, if I be lifted up from the earth (signifying his death on the cross), WILL DRAW ALL MEN unto me." John 12:32 According to this verse, Jesus says since He was crucified He will draw EVERYONE to Himself.

"And ALL FLESH shall see the salvation of God." Luke 3:6 The word "see" here is the Greek word, transliterated optanomai. It used throughout the scriptures and always refers to physically seeing and experiencing something.

"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for THE SHEEP. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: THEM ALSO I MUST BRING, and THEY SHALL HEAR MY VOICE; and THERE SHALL BE ONE FOLD AND ONE SHEPHERD." John 10: 14-16 Let me guess, this doesn't mean what it obviously means.

"And he is the propitiation [shelter of mercy] for OUR sins: AND NOT FOR OURS ONLY, but also for the SINS OF THE WHOLE WORLD." 1 John 2:2 Propitiation: the turning away of wrath by an offering.

And finally....

"For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, WHO IS the SAVIOUR of ALL MEN, SPECIALLY OF THOSE THAT BELIEVE." 1 Timothy 4:10

Old 08-09-2007, 02:05 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Mathew 7:1-5 It starts off with "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

Old 08-09-2007, 02:06 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
I think I will have to say that Matthew 5 is probably my favorite part of the Bible. However, it is very hard to just narrow it down to one.
I think Matthew 5 is where I learned that God will let you draw whatever meaning it is that HE wants you to draw at the time. There was about 2 years where I read it about 4 or 5 times, and EACH time I got something new. It started out being the beatitudes, then the salt of the earth and so on. I seem to get something NEW each time....I LOVE THAT!

Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 PM

255 posts, read 608,323 times
Micah 6:8 (NIV) "...And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

Straightforward and yet enough to keep me busy for the rest of my life.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:52 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
I have to agree, for me its John, I had a small book which only had the book of John in it, and I used to take it to work with me, and read it on my lunch break, found something new in it all the time.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM

122 posts, read 385,151 times
And the number of the beast will be 666, for it is a human number.

An unexact quote from Revelations. It had an appeal to me as a teenager for some reason.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:42 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
"For IF, WHEN WE WERE ENEMIES, WE WERE RECONCILED TO GOD BY THE DEATH OF HIS SON, MUCH MORE, BEING RECONCILED WE SHALL BE SAVED by his life..... Therefore as by the offense of one judgment came upon ALL MEN to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the FREE GIFT came upon ALL MEN unto justification of life."-- Rom 5:10,18

Old 08-09-2007, 06:56 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
"For IF, WHEN WE WERE ENEMIES, WE WERE RECONCILED TO GOD BY THE DEATH OF HIS SON, MUCH MORE, BEING RECONCILED WE SHALL BE SAVED by his life..... Therefore as by the offense of one judgment came upon ALL MEN to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the FREE GIFT came upon ALL MEN unto justification of life."-- Rom 5:10,18
Mark 9:43-45
If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity