Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:07 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,925,954 times

Advertisements

What do Christians see evolution as?

Do Christians understand the process of evolution and everything it entails?

Do Christians view evolution as fact? Why or why not?

Do Christians approve or disapprove of evolution being taught in schools to children? If not, what do Christians tell their children about evolution?

What are your personal views on evolution?

Thanks in advance for your comments!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 08:45 PM

28,148 posts, read 30,093,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Do Christians approve or disapprove of evolution being taught in schools to children? If not, what do Christians tell their children about evolution?

Can I just answer all of these questions in a single statement? I am a Christian and I do not believe in a young earth, created over six 24-hour days or even over six thousand years. I do, however, believe in God. I believe that He created our universe and that He did so over several billion years. I have no problem with the concept that human life evolved over hundreds of thousands of years or even that we have a common ancestor with other primates. My faith in God as our creator is not impacted in the slightest by the findings of science. I believe that evolution should be taught in the schools. I was taught evolution in school and I was taught in church that God created the heavens and the earth and all life thereon. My belief system does not require me to reject evolution, so long as their was an intelligent creator at the helm.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,528,038 times
Quote:

A: A wanton acceptance of a delusional lie.

A: Yes .... no more than non-christians

Do Christians approve or disapprove of evolution being taught in schools to children?
A: This Christian disapproves.

If not, what do Christians tell their children about evolution?
A: God's opinion.

Psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”

Genesis 1 "In the begining God....."

Psalm 102:25 "In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands."

Isaiah 48:13 "My own hand laid the foundations of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens; when I summon them, they all stand up together."

Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,807,253 times
Quote:
The method God chose to use to create Earth's biodiversity.

Quote:
Most conservative and fundamentalist Christians do not as evident by Twinspin's post. They always present a strawman argument as to what evolution is, such as "Monkeys don't give birth to humans".

Quote:
I would argue, worldwide, most Christians do. Once again, many conservatives and basically all fundamentalists (especially in the US) often reject it based on poor education and the need for their beliefs to rest on Genesis being literal. But their beliefs are built on sand and will crumble. However, evolution is a fact (and a theory). It's the most well supported theory in human existence. Even more than things like gravity.

Quote:
Evolution is a scientific fact, so yes, it should be taught in schools since we want to teach children truth with supported evidence, not ancient mythology long since disproved.

Quote:
I accept evolutionary theory as the best explanation for Earth's biodiversity. It's the method God chose to use for the universe, and he's left countless pieces of evidence showing that to be the case.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,656,236 times
Quote:

While God has been taken out of schools, it was simply replaced with another "religion." Abiogenesis has never been observed. What we observe is that life has to come from existing life. The best evidence against it is that we see absolutely zero evidence in the past 2000 years of well documented history that humans have evolved at all. Zero. It must be so slow that it's unobservable. Observation is essential when talking bout scientific theories. Humans are the exact same now as they were then.

Nevermind this entire theory defies the entropy law. More organized, complex organisms evolving from an "organic soup" of chemicals requires more faith than believing in intelligent design from a spirit God.

There are so many holes in this theory that evolutionists need to refer to "rescue devises." They claim "well evolution is correct thus so and so must be there." Then they ask the creationist to prove that it's not there when they can't prove that it is. When the creationist points this out they resort to name calling usually because they are backed up against the wall and need to now discredit the source because they can't discredit the argument. Very typical I've found in such debate.

The basic issue is that we all have been indoctrinated into this religion. Thus we tend to believe that the earth must be billions of years old and sumbit to a faulty "big bang" theory for creation as opposed to what the Bible clearly states. We look up to what Steven Hawking and other PhDs have to say instead of what God says. He clearly states 6 days he created everything and rested on the 7th. God's not a God of confusion and we have universal 7 day weeks to support this.

Basically you have two Gods when you have two Bible-believers - one believing in the 6 day 24 hour creation and the one's believing in the "day age" creation. One God is a whole lot more powerful than the other. My God did it in 6, 24 hour days and rested on the 7th hallowing it. It might not be wise to take away the majesty of God's creation.

Bottom line is we should recognize both our educational bias and faulty nature as man when percieving this issue. If there seems to be a contradiction with science, find out where the interpretation of the science went wrong. Good science = knowledge and supports the conclusion their is intelligent design from a creator.

Regarding evolution, all one has to do is run the probability numbers on the billions of symbiotic relationships currently in biological organisms to see how this religion is absurd even by scientific definition. Mutations tend to drive species to extinction not evolution. When mutations do occur, it's adding a copy not adding new information (aka copy pasting another paragraph -doesn't give new information that can be used.)

Survival of the fittest/natural selection mindset is evil. It's a "the heck with you I'll get mine" attitude. It's the epitome of what God our creator hates. We're not talking white moth to black moth genetic variation to the environment which is science, we're talking ape to man evolution. In short, it's Satan's religion that has deceived millions because he hates man and would have them reduced to animals.

"We're all animals so who cares it's all just one big random accident." If this were true, than how can evolutionists trust their own reasoning. Maybe it's run by chance. Is their brain telling them what to do or are they telling their brain what to do? (the conscious dillema for the evolutionist). How do they trust in scientific laws (wouldn't they expect them to be arbitrary in their view. They deny the very powers they argue against. Morality laws... they wouldn't have an argument if they couldn't use the Bible to defend against it.

We live in a world of absolutes. The Bible talks about absolutes. It says we can expect history to repeat itself (prophecy is pattern). It says we have absolute laws of the universe. It tells us how the sun and moon were put where they were, and why (for signs of the seasons).etc

When you think about it, the evolution theory is really a very silly concept when you get down to it. Man's pride says there is no God. They know. They've just supressed it to justify their actions. Bad choice. Then they push this belief on kids indoctrinating them into lies.

We're held accountable by the creation alone and being here. That's why the evolution religion is so dangerous.

"But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea." Matthew 18:6 KJV

I've actually thought about going for a graduate education in Biology or the physical sciences to teach. I'd be afraid though I'd have to teach evolution to kids. The passage above is why.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:27 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,528,038 times
I read that the only reason that many scientists embrace it other than the junk science for what it is ...is because it removes absolutes of right and wrong.

No God ...no absolutes morals.
No morals means many things... like sexual perversion.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:36 PM

7,733 posts, read 12,658,666 times
Quote:

Well to start off, no one can say "Christians this/that" as a Christian because there's billions of us throughout the world of varying beliefs. I'm only going to speak for myself.

Do I understand the process of evolution and everything it entails? Of course of I do. Not only from learning about it in school, but countless research studies and videos and books. I did the whole shabang.

Do I view evolution as fact? Hell no. It's not a fact, never will be, never gonna be.

Do I approve of evolution being taught in schools to children? Why not? Children can think for themselves. Here in Texas, evolution was taught in our biology books side by side with creationism. Nobody had an issue with it. Luckily I had one of the best science teachers in the world. He had a PhD and everything but he wasn't a fundamental evolutionists by any means. He was very fair and balanced and talked about both evolution and creationism without bias towards either. That's the way it should be in ALL schools if your going to put evolution in anything.

What are my personal views on evolution? I think it's a load of hot steaming pile of garbage. I don't believe an ounce of it. To believe in evolution - at least to me - is to denounce the God that created all creation and to trust in man's deluded fantasies rather than him. And I refuse to do that. There's not one compelling argument in evolution that strikes true to me. It's full of flaws and holes that evolutionist have never cared to answer or change. There's so many arguments AGAINST evolution that I don't know where to start! For instance, the theory of evolution claims that human beings originated from primates. Evolution says that there were several stages of the primate evolving into the human beings we are today. The problem with this theory is that there is no modern living evidence of the in-between hominids. We know that there are more than 250 different species of primates on the Earth and I'm guessing there are more than a million of them all around. And we know there are BILLIONS of human beings on the Earth. How is it that there is NO LIVING modern species of these supposed ancient "ancestors" of ours? If there's millions of primates (which we originated from), billion of human beings, where are the living species of the hominids that evolved from the primate?! We're here, there here, but what happened to the ones in the middle?! They just went extinct?! How is that possible when their originators and descendants are still here?! More than 150 years of study and not one living species has been found! But yet this is what we are studying in colleges and universities as fact?! I guess.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:58 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,925,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
The best evidence against it is that we see absolutely zero evidence in the past 2000 years of well documented history that humans have evolved at all. Zero. It must be so slow that it's unobservable. Observation is essential when talking bout scientific theories. Humans are the exact same now as they were then.

I used to have this exact same thought but the answer to why we dont see evolution in humans is very simple really. It was best described to me by another poster on here in another thread. when I first joined this site and started posting. Please read the entirety of the quote below and you will see the answer as to why we dont see evolution in humans today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Evolution is continuing in humans, but remember evolution is a slow slow process. You are not going to see massive evolution in your life time. Evolution does not stop as long as the environment does not stop changing. Each feeds the other remember.

What direction we will evolve in is open to question however. Evolution can not be predicted better than simple guess work. This is why the film "Idiocracy"... although a very poor film on every level... is actually quite disturbing as it shows a very plausible possibility for our future.

Many scientists agree that most of the evolution we will see in our species will be in and around our immune systems. Evolution is notable in many other places however. We here in the west use a lot of milk from cows. The chinese do not for example. As a consequence they have lost their ability to break down cows milks successfully and so much of their race is lactose intolerant. This is an example of relatively recent evolution in our species.

However having said all that, evolution in our species has definitely been slowed. The reason for this is our ability to counter selection criteria. Those who genetically have bad eyesight, such as myself, are no longer at selection disadvantage because we invented glasses. Those with genetic deficiencies such as diabetes do not die, because we have discovered insulin. People like Stephen Hawking survive and contribute to society, and successfully reproduce because our technology accounts for the massive disadvantages the man faces. Those in cold climates have clothing.

Evolution requires there to be selective pressures. The more we counter those pressures using intelligence and technology, the slower evolution will be.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 07-17-2011 at 11:14 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 11:20 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,449,724 times
I'm with Katzpur.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,037,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Can I just answer all of these questions in a single statement? I am a Christian and I do not believe in a young earth, created over six 24-hour days or even over six thousand years. I do, however, believe in God. I believe that He created our universe and that He did so over several billion years. I have no problem with the concept that human life evolved over hundreds of thousands of years or even that we have a common ancestor with other primates. My faith in God as our creator is not impacted in the slightest by the findings of science. I believe that evolution should be taught in the schools. I was taught evolution in school and I was taught in church that God created the heavens and the earth and all life thereon. My belief system does not require me to reject evolution, so long as their was an intelligent creator at the helm.
Thank you. Well said, Katzpur. End of discussion (for me).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity