Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:23 PM

9,699 posts, read 10,055,137 times

Advertisements

Do you believe the sacrifice that Jesus went through will not make Him worthy to forgive this sin or that sin ...... See Jesus can forgive all sin even the blasphemy of Holy Spirit, the mark of the beast, and all grievous crime know to heaven or the earth....... All the person need to do is turn from the sin repent and be water baptized in the name of the Father Son Jesus and Holy Spirit , and pray for the baptism of Holy Spirit to come to you to finish the redemption of Jesus Christ from all curses and sin the world dark spirit may try to keep you under...... See the accuser is the devil and not God , for God is not the curser but the blesser..... So how can God forgive every thing ?..... Well he redeems the person..... by ripping the demons out of the man and through prayer keeps the demons are keep-ed out , and He puts in to the person and spirit compatible to Heaven and Its character, And the person grows to this new Creation character which can receive the fruits of the Spirit easily ... Were the spirit before was cursed with demons and the authority with fallen angels and devils who rule over the lost people to the Lord ...... Still don`t believe this then you need to find a church were the gospel is preached and there is evidence of Holy Spirit for most of all the people there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 05:43 PM

461 posts, read 481,863 times
I am not Christian. I am son of man.

The son of man cannot sin.If God says he does nothing on His own then He cannot sin in Gods eyes.The trick is to become son of man. Do you have what it takes to stand strong before the son of man.

I came down from heaven to do the will of the Lord who sent me. The only one who's gone up to heaven is the One who came down from there, the son of man.

The one who comes from above is above all. The one who belongs to the world thinks like the world and speaks in a worldly way. But the one who comes from heaven .
He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony.
Whoever does accept his testimony certifies that God is truthful.
For the One whom God sent speaks the words of God. His gift of the spirit is not rationed.
The Father loves the Son and has given everything over to him.
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever disobeys the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains upon him.

Return, rebel Israel, says the LORD, I will not remain angry with you; For I am merciful, says the LORD, I will not continue my wrath forever.

Only know your guilt: how you rebelled against the LORD, your God, How you ran hither and yon to strangers (under every green tree) and would not listen to my voice, says the LORD.

Return, rebellious children, says the LORD, for I am your Master; I will take you, one from a city, two from a clan, and bring you to Zion.

I will appoint over you shepherds after my own heart, who will shepherd you wisely and prudently.

If you wish to return, O Israel, says the Lord, return to me. If you put your detestable things out of my sight, and do not stray,
Then you can swear, As the Lord lives, in truth, in judgment, and in justice; Then shall the nations use his name in blessing, and glory in him.

This is a nation which does not listen to the voice of the Lord, its God, or take correction. Faithfulness has disappeared; the word of the Lord is gone from their speech.

I do nothing on my own; I judge as I hear, and my judgment is just, because I’m not seeking my own will but the will of the one who sent me.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:58 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,045,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
I've been a Christian for more than five years, and during that time I feel like I have seen God's hand on my life. However, I've always struggled with doubt over the Christian concept of sin. I know the current mainstream Christian view is that no sin -- apart from blasphemy of the Holy Spirit -- cannot be forgiven by God. Additionally, most Christians also believe that "all sins are the same, and that no one sin is worse than the other in God's eyes." Most evangelical churches teach this.

In theory, that sounds nice, but in reality I find it utterly absurd (and most other Christians do too, if they really bother to think about it, which few do). As believers, we like to think that our sins – lying, stealing, lusting, gluttony, envy, and gossip, to name a few, will be forgiven by the blood of Christ. We quote passages like 1 John 1:9, which says “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” All Christians accept this – it's one of the fundamental tenets of the faith. No one has a problem with this. But, where do you draw the line? Think about what that verse really says . . . “purify us from ALL unrighteousness.” If you take this verse (and the dozens of others like it) at face value, it would mean that a brutal murderer, a serial pedophile, a bloodthirsty terrorist, a ruthless despot, a human trafficker, and a chronic spousal abuser could all find complete forgiveness for their heinous crimes simply by trusting in Christ, just the same as any "normal" person. This seems woefully unjust to me, even though it's clearly laid out in Scripture.

Besides, no one actually believes in this kind of blanket forgiveness – it is just an empty, meaningless platitude. If most other Christians were honest with themselves, they'd admit they also find the concept unjust and absurd. For example, American Christians were literally dancing and cheering in the street upon hearing of the death of Osama Bin Laden – they weren't grieving him dying without Christ and going to hell* (I'll get to that topic later in this post) or saying that they hoped he knew Christ – they were happy about him dying a violent death, and, if you assume the evangelical view of the afterlife, burning for all eternity. Christians have the same reaction upon hearing of the deaths of other heinous criminals. This celebratory reaction is unbiblical, of course. Just look at Matthew 5:43-45, where Jesus says “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous,” and Proverbs 24:17, which states “Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice . . .” The celebrations also went against what most Christians claim to believe – blanket forgiveness and the equality of all sin – after all, under the mainstream Christian view, YOU are just as guilty as Bin Laden! However, no one really believes that, because it is ridiculous. Although the celebratory actions make no sense from a mainstream Christian viewpoint, they do seem perfectly normal and acceptable when viewed from outside the Christian framework. It's a normal human reaction to rejoice at justice being done. It's human instinct.

So, do we really believe that "all sins are the same?" Do we really believe that Bin Laden's actions were the moral equivalent of those of, for example, “Joe Smith the friendly neighborhood agnostic” – a guy who didn't believe Jesus is God but was a good husband and father, excelled at his job, gave to the poor and orphans and loved his neighbor as himself? The answer is obvious to me, and I think it is to you, too. Why do we celebrate Osama's death, but mourn "Joe Smith's?" According to the Bible, both were “lost” . . . but why are our reactions different? I would say it is because Bin Laden was truly an evil individual, and Joe Smith was not evil. Not all sins are equal, some are worse than others. Some can be readily forgiven, some can be forgiven at great cost, others can never be forgiven. Of course, this contradicts mainstream Christian doctrine, if not Scripture itself.

For those who believe all sins lead to punishment in an eternal hell, this raises even more problems. I believe God is a just God. Any normal, sane system of justice would have perpetrators answering for their actions, and receiving an equitable punishment. You know, "the punishment should fit the crime." For example, assume all sin is worthy of punishment after death by God. Because all people have sinned, all people must pay for their own actions. That sounds just, right? A "good" (in human terms) atheist and a child rapist must both suffer the penalty of their sins. A just system would have the "good" atheist suffer a much lesser and shorter punishment than the child rapist, but both would eventually see their sentence of punishment end. However, a mainstream Christian reading of Scripture assumes that BOTH the "good" atheist and the child rapist will suffer unimaginable torment for all eternity. Not only are they being punished infinitely for their finite actions, but such a hell assumes no difference in the punishment for non-belief and child rape. In other words, it says that the non-belief of an atheist is the moral equivalent of raping a child. I cannot accept that a just God would use such a system.

Unfortunately, just being honest, this is where Christianity falls apart for me. I want to keep trusting in God . . . I really want to believe. However, I'm struggling with the idea of forcing myself to accept something that is so deeply conflicted, so deeply contradictory.
The scriptures do NOT teach that all sins are the same. However, an unpardonable sin only means that one will have to PAY THE PRICE for such a sin. It doesn't mean that the price never gets paid. But that is what many mainstream churches want you to believe. Sin is debt. Something is owed as a result of sin. Otherwise, Jesus has no right as a redeemer. All sins eventually have to be PAID FOR. In Christ, we have someone that has paid the price for us. However, if we be not in Christ then we will have to PAY for them at some point. Does this mean the payment is eternal - absolutely not - otherwise God would never get the payment owed.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:13 PM

461 posts, read 481,863 times
Sinners won't be allowed in the company of the just.

Blessed is he who's way is blameless who walks in the law of the Lord.

"With the merciful You will show Yourself merciful; With a blameless man You will show Yourself blameless;

Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?

That You may be found just when You speak, And blameless when You judge.

Mark the blameless man, and behold the upright, for there is posterity for the man of peace.

Grant me justice, LORD, for I am
blameless, free of any guilt.

She(wisdom), when the nations were sunk in universal wickedness, knew the just man, kept him blameless before God, and preserved him resolute against pity for his child.

For the LORD loves justice and does not abandon the faithful. When the unjust are destroyed, and the children of the wicked cut off.The just will possess the land and live in it forever.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:23 PM

299 posts, read 263,497 times
Quote:
I've been a Christian for more than five years, and during that time I feel like I have seen God's hand on my life. However, I've always struggled with doubt over the Christian concept of sin. I know the current mainstream Christian view is that no sin -- apart from blasphemy of the Holy Spirit -- cannot be forgiven by God. Additionally, most Christians also believe that "all sins are the same, and that no one sin is worse than the other in God's eyes." Most evangelical churches teach this.

In theory, that sounds nice, but in reality I find it utterly absurd (and most other Christians do too, if they really bother to think about it, which few do). As believers, we like to think that our sins – lying, stealing, lusting, gluttony, envy, and gossip, to name a few, will be forgiven by the blood of Christ. We quote passages like 1 John 1:9, which says “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” All Christians accept this – it's one of the fundamental tenets of the faith. No one has a problem with this. But, where do you draw the line? Think about what that verse really says . . . “purify us from ALL unrighteousness.” If you take this verse (and the dozens of others like it) at face value, it would mean that a brutal murderer, a serial pedophile, a bloodthirsty terrorist, a ruthless despot, a human trafficker, and a chronic spousal abuser could all find complete forgiveness for their heinous crimes simply by trusting in Christ, just the same as any "normal" person. This seems woefully unjust to me, even though it's clearly laid out in Scripture.

Besides, no one actually believes in this kind of blanket forgiveness – it is just an empty, meaningless platitude. If most other Christians were honest with themselves, they'd admit they also find the concept unjust and absurd. For example, American Christians were literally dancing and cheering in the street upon hearing of the death of Osama Bin Laden – they weren't grieving him dying without Christ and going to hell* (I'll get to that topic later in this post) or saying that they hoped he knew Christ – they were happy about him dying a violent death, and, if you assume the evangelical view of the afterlife, burning for all eternity. Christians have the same reaction upon hearing of the deaths of other heinous criminals. This celebratory reaction is unbiblical, of course. Just look at Matthew 5:43-45, where Jesus says “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous,” and Proverbs 24:17, which states “Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice . . .” The celebrations also went against what most Christians claim to believe – blanket forgiveness and the equality of all sin – after all, under the mainstream Christian view, YOU are just as guilty as Bin Laden! However, no one really believes that, because it is ridiculous. Although the celebratory actions make no sense from a mainstream Christian viewpoint, they do seem perfectly normal and acceptable when viewed from outside the Christian framework. It's a normal human reaction to rejoice at justice being done. It's human instinct.

So, do we really believe that "all sins are the same?" Do we really believe that Bin Laden's actions were the moral equivalent of those of, for example, “Joe Smith the friendly neighborhood agnostic” – a guy who didn't believe Jesus is God but was a good husband and father, excelled at his job, gave to the poor and orphans and loved his neighbor as himself? The answer is obvious to me, and I think it is to you, too. Why do we celebrate Osama's death, but mourn "Joe Smith's?" According to the Bible, both were “lost” . . . but why are our reactions different? I would say it is because Bin Laden was truly an evil individual, and Joe Smith was not evil. Not all sins are equal, some are worse than others. Some can be readily forgiven, some can be forgiven at great cost, others can never be forgiven. Of course, this contradicts mainstream Christian doctrine, if not Scripture itself.

For those who believe all sins lead to punishment in an eternal hell, this raises even more problems. I believe God is a just God. Any normal, sane system of justice would have perpetrators answering for their actions, and receiving an equitable punishment. You know, "the punishment should fit the crime." For example, assume all sin is worthy of punishment after death by God. Because all people have sinned, all people must pay for their own actions. That sounds just, right? A "good" (in human terms) atheist and a child rapist must both suffer the penalty of their sins. A just system would have the "good" atheist suffer a much lesser and shorter punishment than the child rapist, but both would eventually see their sentence of punishment end. However, a mainstream Christian reading of Scripture assumes that BOTH the "good" atheist and the child rapist will suffer unimaginable torment for all eternity. Not only are they being punished infinitely for their finite actions, but such a hell assumes no difference in the punishment for non-belief and child rape. In other words, it says that the non-belief of an atheist is the moral equivalent of raping a child. I cannot accept that a just God would use such a system.

Unfortunately, just being honest, this is where Christianity falls apart for me. I want to keep trusting in God . . . I really want to believe. However, I'm struggling with the idea of forcing myself to accept something that is so deeply conflicted, so deeply contradictory.
Well don't accept such a system, but after climbing in the grave which is certian, better hope such a system isn't true. There were only eight humans that climbed off the ark however.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:32 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,157,648 times
Quote:

I am Christian - a Catholic - and do not believe that "all sins are the same". Nor do I believe that all sins are forgiven automatically by the blood of Christ. That's an absurd belief, one easily disprovable by reason. However, thankfully, it is not the belief of all Christians (nor even all non-Catholic Christians).

Catholics believe that in order to have one's grave sins (adultery, murder, rape, blasphemy, lust, significant theft, ruining another's reputation, etc.) forgiven, one must minimally a) be sorry for the sin(s) (which entails doing some penance penance and making restitution if necessary), and b) firmly resolve to not commit the sin(s) again (although not necessarily to not forsee it happening again in the future). Ordinarily, confession to a priest acting in Christ's place is also necessary. To simply continue to cheat on one's wife or go on a killing spree with the expectation that Jesus's blood on the cross will forgive one seems absurd because it is absurd. There's more to it than that. One must also repent of one's sin.

You brought up Bin Laden's death and the rejoicing of many (if not most) Christians. That was, in fact, wrong, though understandable on the subjective level, considering he was the figurehead of a scourge against peace, Islamic terrorism, and was responsible for countless murders. Yet a real Christian attitude towards his death would be the hope that somehow, some way, at the moment of his death he was truly sorry for his, accepted Christ, and therefore will eventually ascend to heaven (after a very, very long stay in purgatory). This is difficult to grasp and hard to do, but Love demands it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity