Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paul or no Paul?
I accept ALL of Paul's teachings 16 59.26%
I believe Paul contradicts Christ in (at least) some areas 6 22.22%
I believe in God but not necessarily the Bible completely 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 PM

817 posts, read 740,091 times

Advertisements

Okay...I've noticed there are a few here who also question Paul's theology. I wanted to do a poll on that to see where it stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 02:11 PM

To clarify a little about the 3rd choice: this is for people who may feel that Paul's doctrines DO contradict Christ's in some areas, but that it isn't so much of an issue because they also believe the Bible itself has other problems that are even more significant.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:25 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Sure Apostle Paul had many Great Revelation from Jesus that Heaven will acknowledge as Words of God and will act on these Words with mighty Power of Christ......Paul did say to Judge to world, were Jesus `if you judge you will be judged.`....Paul did undermine woman as the customs of the Greeks ...were Jesus said `The first will be last and the last will be first`...Once Paul said to be proud..were Jesus and the character of heaven that we avoid being proud which will undermine the commandment of love for their neighbor and attract the devil...... These three contradictions are the only one which are different to the teaching of Jesus .......

Old 09-20-2011, 05:33 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
In the Gospels, Jesus' ministry was focused on the Jews. Jesus was a Jew, living according to the Laws of Moses. There is only one record of a Gentile approaching Jesus and we see His attitude toward Gentiles.

Paul's ministry was to Christians. The joint 'body' of everyone engrafted together. No longer focused on living the Laws of Moses, but as the Children of God.

Different focus, different administrations entirely.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Sure Apostle Paul had many Great Revelation from Jesus that Heaven will acknowledge as Words of God and will act on these Words with mighty Power of Christ......Paul did say to Judge to world, were Jesus `if you judge you will be judged.`....Paul did undermine woman as the customs of the Greeks ...were Jesus said `The first will be last and the last will be first`...Once Paul said to be proud..were Jesus and the character of heaven that we avoid being proud which will undermine the commandment of love for their neighbor and attract the devil...... These three contradictions are the only one which are different to the teaching of Jesus .......
I believe there are a lot more contradictions than that...but actually you've added a couple I wasn't aware of. (I will not post about those though. lol)

But there are contradictions in the OT too...like how originally God did accept animal sacrifices, but by the time of Isaiah, (or was it sooner?) it apparently no longer pleased God.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In the Gospels, Jesus' ministry was focused on the Jews. Jesus was a Jew, living according to the Laws of Moses. There is only one record of a Gentile approaching Jesus and we see His attitude toward Gentiles.

Paul's ministry was to Christians. The joint 'body' of everyone engrafted together. No longer focused on living the Laws of Moses, but as the Children of God.

Different focus, different administrations entirely.
Yes, Jesus' attitude toward gentiles (calling them dogs was it?) doesn't seem too loving. Yet Hebrews 13:8 makes the claim that Jesus Christ is "the same yesterday, today, and forever." Both things can't be right. It saddens me..because I accepted Christ when I was 5 years old and I have always believed in him...and what he stands for.

I would have to reject as false, though, a notion that Christ would ever be prejudiced against other races...even for a fraction of a moment. And yet..it is there. Can you imagine a modern preacher doing this on T.V. (to say a black or Chinese person for instance) and all the flack he would get? Yeah, he could take it back, or ultimately change his mind the way Jesus did...but it would be too late. The guy's career would be over.

If Jesus was really all-knowing the entire time, he would have had a warmer attitude with the Gentiles from the beginning...instead of having a racial or cultural preference.

Some people do in fact choose to ignore certain Gospels on account of things like this. The "slay them before me" in Luke also concerns me..and people get very defensive about this, and claim that's not what he meant. Then there are some that claim that IS what he meant..and then quote Revelation's references to the angels throwing the bad people into the fire.

Part of the interesting thing about the challenges I've presented in forums, is that you end up seeing all the vast differences in beliefs and interpretations..when we all know...there is only ONE TRUTH, and ONE SPIRIT that is meant to inpsire and unite it all. People get into heated arguments over it...and each feel that theirs is the right way. Sometimes it is in fact the spirit telling them...and sometimes it is just a dearly held belief that they were taught, that they are afraid to let go of, or are defensive about.

About Paul, you are right...totally different focus and adminitration.
In some ways Paul's words appeal to me even more than Christ..and I've always loved certain things that Paul has said. But there are those that say you can't "pick and choose" what scriptures you believe in..that you must accept all of it. And then there are those who say you can pick and choose.

With so many differing opinions and attitudes...maybe it really is true that if you follow the primary two commandments that Christ gave regarding love for the Father, and other people (as well as the Ten Commandments)..that we can have salvation. Because it wouldn't seem right that all the differences in the opinions about everything else should affect everyone's salvation. Eternal hellfire or no? I don't think a difference in opinion will affect your salvation...if you really love God and other people.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:39 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
well, once again everyone on here knows already how I feel about Paul. But at the same time, I do not claim Christianity as my religion, and having read so many things, I know that there is so much out there that is better....
Anyway Paul really influenced and defined what became orthodox Christianty. Shame that he influenced people to something that just does not add up in the end, but those of you who have read the whole Bible cover to cover and explored other religions and mythologies as well already know that......Sad that Paul has messed up so many lives with his legacy

Old 02-19-2012, 08:09 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,934,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
~ Why people believe Paul had many Great Revelations, as if God told Paul something first, I don't know. Scripture showes Paul had the same Revelation as those before him!

~ Paul didn't under mind Women In The Customs 0fThe Greeks either.
Scripture shows Paul underminded The Women of The Church Back Under The Law of The Old Testament.
Paul often taught them "The Traditions 0f The Fathers".

~ Paul was so proud of his Apostleship that he often referred to himself as their 'father'. Jesus said call no one your Father. There is One Who is your Father in Heaven.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,934,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
well, once again everyone on here knows already how I feel about Paul. But at the same time, I do not claim Christianity as my religion, and having read so many things, I know that there is so much out there that is better....
Anyway Paul really influenced and defined what became orthodox Christianty. Shame that he influenced people to something that just does not add up in the end, but those of you who have read the whole Bible cover to cover and explored other religions and mythologies as well already know that......Sad that Paul has messed up so many lives with his legacy
~ When people put Paul in perspective of fallibility.
We can understand how God may use us too.

~ Put Paul on the pedistood Pastors want him to have and no can comes near to God, as Paul! That's why they have to keep chanting the false church doctrine ;the bible is the inerrant infallible word of God. That we must obey everything Paul ssaid. Because without it? God might use us too! By passing Pastoral authority we give them.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,277,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Okay...I've noticed there are a few here who also question Paul's theology. I wanted to do a poll on that to see where it stands.
Jesus chose Paul to be His apostle, His ambassador to the Gentiles. The epistles may have been written by Paul's hand, but it was the Holy Spirit who guided him as he wrote.

I am so happy to see that the majority of people accept Paul's writings as the inspired word of God. AMEN!!!

God Bless,

Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity