Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:57 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Apparently, he added "not...oopps" between the time I read it and responded. However, I'm not sure it makes a difference. A fire that does not burn up is different from how we know it. Twin or Finn, either one, please explain what a fire that does not burn up is? It sounds to me it's like what my preacher said - the problem isn't that they're on fire, but that they don't burn up.
There is a difference ....by phrasing it in this way
  • It's a literal fire, but not as we know it.
would indicate that "fire" is different vs. the fire we currently understand the nature of it on physical things

Which puzzeled Moses when he saw a bush on fire, yet it didn't burn up. There was given no explanation to Moses about that "fire", other than being only told that it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 11:57 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,836,603 times
The fires of lust with no relief, the fires of desires without any satisfaction, the fires of the immoral with nothing but the bad aspects, the fires of rage with nothing to take it out on, all the bad with no good.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
A fire that burns you but gives you no relief, (like reducing you to ashes), is what Twin is saying.So in other words you are being burnt eternally.
pcamps,

I would say that something that reduced to ashes gives the impression of whatever was on fire was being burned up.

I would suggest a better understanding of this "fire".
I would refer to the burning bush account recorded in Moses' encounter. The bush was on "fire" but it wasn't being reduced to ashes (burned up).

This is as close of an example of the "fire" in hell that those who are damned will experience.

Last edited by twin.spin; 09-29-2011 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 09-29-2011, 12:23 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,113,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
pcamps,

I would say that something that reduced to ashes gives the impression of whatever was on fire was being burned up.

I would refer to the burning bush account recorded in Moses' encounter. The bush was on "fire" but it wasn't being reduced to ashes (burned up).

This is as close of an example of the "fire" in hell that those who are damned will experience.
Instead of asking what the fire in the burning bush was, a better question would be, "Who was in the burning bush?"

Exodus 3:2 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush:

If this fire is similar to hell fire, then oops....God put HIS angel in it. It's easy to see the fire is not harmful. Who do you think was in the fiery furnace with those three guys who were tossed in it? Hmmmm.... Another fire that doesn't burn people up and is not harmful. "For our God is a consuming fire." There's seems to be a pattern here.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
pcamps,

Yea being burnt by the fire that does not go out.What came out of the fire,Twin,is what is going to correct and refine all mankind.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
The fires of lust with no relief, the fires of desires without any satisfaction, the fires of the immoral with nothing but the bad aspects, the fires of rage with nothing to take it out on, all the bad with no good.
I like this perspective. Worldly desires burning in people for all time, with no way to satisfy that burning.

It is easy to see this all around us in the living too!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,836,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I like this perspective. Worldly desires burning in people for all time, with no way to satisfy that burning.

It is easy to see this all around us in the living too!
Like Jesus said be in the world not of the world.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Which translation of the bible says that Jesus preached condemnation to them? And which translation calls those spirits damned?
It's not a translation issue when a person who doesn't believe while alive stands condemned already. John 3:18

"Stands conndemned already" (NIV)
"is condemned already" (KJV)
"hath been judged already" (YLT)

It's a forelong conclusion....the judgement announcement that occures by God while alive follows the person upon and after death ( the ressurection).
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

he who is believing in him is not judged, but he who is not believing hath been judged already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
And each translation is consistant with in itself

Where the KJV contrasts those who recieve "eternal life vs. damnation"
  • the NIV words it as:
    • those who have done good will rise to live
      • vs
    • those who have done evil will rise to be condemned
  • the YLT words it as:
    • those who did the good things to a rising again of life
      • vs
    • those who practised the evil things to a rising again of judgment.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Yea being burnt by the fire that does not go out.What came out of the fire,Twin,is what is going to correct and refine all mankind.
Paul speaks of the refining fire.. but that is only to those who believe, not a universal application.

The "fire" of hell does not refine...it only torments those whom it falls upon.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Believe it is a literal fire ?

If so why ?, if not what do you believe it is ?
If it means a fire (literal or spiritual) as an infinite punishment for the finite sin of mankind, NO!

As a refining furnace to extract pure silver from the dross, or a blacksmith's forge necessary for shaping and reshaping iron, YES!

I cannot, for the life of me (pun intended), imagine The Almighty designer of all creation to have less than "unconditional love" for mankind.

I observed the earth and how it was designed to give its inhabitants the abundance of everything they ever needed...with this first command: ~Love God by doing his will, AND THIS IS HIS WILL:

Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the earth, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

And the only way to ensure that mankind continues to "perpetuate life" on earth is to heed the second command: ~Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

This do and thou shalt LIVE!!! Luke 10:28

~On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. Matthew 22:40

And Christ live, died and rose again to teach us how to truly love!

Last edited by ans57; 09-29-2011 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity