Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:36 AM

8,176 posts, read 6,925,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
If the GOLDEN RULE OF #2 were actually followed by EVERYONE or in the very least, attempted by EVERYONE...this would be a completely different world in which we live in.
Yes it would!

Love conquers all.
He will be ALL in ALL.

It starts with each one of us.
The kingdom is within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 04:08 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeanite12 View Post
Honest question, what do you mean by being the commandment?
You can only BE what you believe you ARE. As a man thinks in his heart so his he.Proverbs 23:7

For instance if you believe you are weak, that is what you will BE. A change in the way you see yourself is needed, let the weak say I AM(state of being) strong.

That the communication of your faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus. Philemon 1:6

We are a new creation.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:54 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
If the GOLDEN RULE OF #2 were actually followed by EVERYONE or in the very least, attempted by EVERYONE...this would be a completely different world in which we live in.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:09 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Antredd I agree with # 2', I disagree with #1 as it's not to be found anywhere in scripture, in regards to #3 I believe in being the commandment, not obeying it.
Are you saying that you can pick and choose what to believe in the bible since that can be implied in your disagreement with #2?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
Good morning

I just wanted to comment on point #1. Is it the general consensus here that we don't have to believe the Bible to be the Word of God, or as "inerrant"?

I have noted that many here have attempted to validate their positions with Scripture, and have later commented that it is not the Word of God....or that it is only somewhat useful, at best.

Jesus appealed often to the Scriptures to support what He was teaching, or to counter some of the arguments being made against what He was teaching.

When the Sadducees opposed Jesus regarding the resurrection He answered them by saying, "Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God".

I will wait until later to share further. But I believe that we have a very valid reason to hold a higher position regarding the Scriptures than we often appear to do.
I agree with you. 2Tim 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I can understand the desire to boil it all down to a simple catch phrase.

But the moment that you come up with stuff that is not in the Bible, you stray from God's doctrine. We all do it. We need to guard against it.
I agree with you, and I hope you don't think that was my motive behind starting this thread. But I am just trying to get people to think about what is truly behind their beliefs. Is is their love of God through Jesus, or are we just following our own ways in order to feel good about what we believe, and justify it by quoting scriptures for the sake of quoting them?

The mistake we all can make is stating our opinions, and then use scripture out of context to support our opinions. This sounds like a new thread to me...lol.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Are you saying that you can pick and choose what to believe in the bible since that can be implied in your disagreement with #2?
Quote:
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Therefore, we should be able to distinguish between that which is good, right and acceptable, verses that which is not.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Therefore, we should be able to distinguish between that which is good, right and acceptable, verses that which is not.
Agreed, and my point is if we pick and choose what to believe over truth, then how can a Christian who believes that God is perfect would allow His Word not to be perfect thus inerrant?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:06 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Agreed, and my point is if we pick and choose what to believe over truth, then how can a Christian who believes that God is perfect would allow His Word not to be perfect thus inerrant?
A Spirit of love, mercy and compassion or a Spirit of hate, vengeance and wrath?
I would conclude that it is perfect for teaching us to distinguish the differences.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:51 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
I actually believe #2 is in the scriptures,#1 if it was true which is not,nowhere in your bible does it say it is required,and # 3 is used by Christians as a yoke of slavery upon other Christians,for the simple reason they fall short of it themselves.

If you think Jesus is saying OBEY ME, then check out Matt 5 through 7 for a better understanding of living by faith in his grace. He is not demanding obedience,he's showing us the way to follow, bless them that curse you,love those who hate you, give to those who ask of you,etc etc, this is entering into life.We are not dogs in his eyes you know, we are his children and in him we live and move and have our being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity