Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,366,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
No requirement exists for #1

#2 and 3, many people can talk about it, thats easy, thats what most people do.

It is asking a lot, that is why it is incredibly hard and a worthy goal to try to achieve.
Yes Phaze we need to get beyond this notion that just because we believe something is right,that God is pleased with us.

The 'I believe the bible is the word God',is one of the most lukewarm statements of Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 AM

537 posts, read 458,001 times
Good morning

I just wanted to comment on point #1. Is it the general consensus here that we don't have to believe the Bible to be the Word of God, or as "inerrant"?

I have noted that many here have attempted to validate their positions with Scripture, and have later commented that it is not the Word of God....or that it is only somewhat useful, at best.

Jesus appealed often to the Scriptures to support what He was teaching, or to counter some of the arguments being made against what He was teaching.

When the Sadducees opposed Jesus regarding the resurrection He answered them by saying, "Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God".

I will wait until later to share further. But I believe that we have a very valid reason to hold a higher position regarding the Scriptures than we often appear to do.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,366,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
Good morning

I just wanted to comment on point #1. Is it the general consensus here that we don't have to believe the Bible to be the Word of God, or as "inerrant"?

I have noted that many here have attempted to validate their positions with Scripture, and have later commented that it is not the Word of God....or that it is only somewhat useful, at best.

Jesus appealed often to the Scriptures to support what He was teaching, or to counter some of the arguments being made against what He was teaching.

When the Sadducees opposed Jesus regarding the resurrection He answered them by saying, "Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God".

I will wait until later to share further. But I believe that we have a very valid reason to hold a higher position regarding the Scriptures than we often appear to do.
It's the misuse of them that is the issue, not the scriptures themselves.when you are using the scriptures to point them to the Life that is the light to all men, you have my attention, I'm all ears,when you are using them to codemn a man then I hear no evil.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,224,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post

1. Believe the bible as inerrant

2. Love God and your fellow man as you love yourself (agape love)

3. Obey His commandments.

Is that asking a lot of us?

1. Only someone who is completely unknowledgeable and deluded would believe this...given all the FACTUAL EVIDENCE against it.

2. This should be the ONE AND ONLY THING those that claim to have a relationship with God should be adhering to:

LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF...FOR BY LOVING YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF, YOU ARE LOVING GOD.

I don't know very many religious folks (alleged Christians and those of other religions) who actually do this.

3. Yeah....which ones?????????? You either follow them ALL or you none of them...there can be no cherry picking involved. If we are to start stoning people again...for the most ridiculous things, I might add...how would that make us more Christlike???????

If the GOLDEN RULE OF #2 were actually followed by EVERYONE or in the very least, attempted by EVERYONE...this would be a completely different world in which we live in.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

If the GOLDEN RULE OF #2 were actually followed by EVERYONE or in the very least, attempted by EVERYONE...this would be a completely different world in which we live in.
We have a different take on much of what is being shared in these threads.

But I also have made this same statement. How wonderful if this could be our pattern for living! If before I hurt you, I first ask myself if I would want you to hurt me....if my answer to this question is "No", then neither should I want to hurt you.

How great we would all be with one another! These are Jesus' own words, and an excellent instruction (the doing unto others as we would have them do unto us).

Unfortunately, we cannot truly attain unto this without the help of God (and even then we struggle because of our flesh).

But yes...in a perfect world...I have daydreamed about this

Old 10-10-2011, 08:34 PM

461 posts, read 481,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
We have a different take on much of what is being shared in these threads.

But I also have made this same statement. How wonderful if this could be our pattern for living! If before I hurt you, I first ask myself if I would want you to hurt me....if my answer to this question is "No", then neither should I want to hurt you.

How great we would all be with one another! These are Jesus' own words, and an excellent instruction (the doing unto others as we would have them do unto us).

Unfortunately, we cannot truly attain unto this without the help of God (and even then we struggle because of our flesh).

But yes...in a perfect world...I have daydreamed about this
The son of man always does what he wants others to do to him.

"The reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth."Gods word is truth.

"Speak the truth to one another and let honesty and peace be in the judgments at your gate."

"Turn to me and be safe, all you ends of the earth, for I am God; there is no other!
By myself I swear, uttering my just decree and my unalterable word: To me every knee shall bend; by me every tongue shall swear,
Saying, Only in the Lord are just deeds and power.
In the Lord shall be the vindication and the glory of all the descendants of Israel".

"I, the Lord, speak the truth, I say what is right. Come here and declare in counsel together: Who announced this from the beginning and foretold it from of old? Was it not I, the Lord, besides whom there is no other God? There is no just and saving God but me".

"Listen to me, you who pursue justice, who seek the Lord.
For law shall go forth from my presence, and my judgment, as the light of the peoples.
Hear me, you who know justice, you people who have my teaching at heart
my justice shall remain forever and my salvation, for all generations
I am the Lord, your God, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar; the Lord of hosts by name. I have put my words into your mouth and shielded you in the shadow of my hand".

"All those who do right will rise to live, the evildoers will rise to be damned."

You must be made perfect as my heavenly Father is perfect. If you wish to be made perfect follow me and proclaim the glory of God.

"The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament proclaim his great works".

Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,650,753 times
Matthew 7

"13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."...

"19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."

Luke 11:27-28

"27And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.

28But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."
John 5:39

Old 10-10-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Matthew 7

"13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."...

"19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."

Luke 11:27-28

"27And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.

28But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."
John 5:39
Nice post. May God be pleased to save yet many more through the preaching and the hearing of His Word.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:35 PM

12 posts, read 9,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Antredd I agree with # 2', I disagree with #1 as it's not to be found anywhere in scripture, in regards to #3 I believe in being the commandment, not obeying it.
Honest question, what do you mean by being the commandment?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeanite12 View Post
Honest question, what do you mean by being the commandment?
I believe it would be in accordance with this:
A special kind of beauty exists in a single language that is not isolate called "Love."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity