Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:20 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,958,995 times

Advertisements

Just so people know that this is not about my personal beliefs, let me illustrate something. What you think of my beliefs is irrelevant, at least in this thread, because my OP does not take a stance for or against any sect of belief.

There is a group of universalists who despite their belief that God will save all mankind go around making the claim that they speak the absolute truth for God. These people make it their business to tell others that if you do not agree with them then you are not of God and any belief you have is of a different God.

Again, you have people who are in opposition to their basic doctrine who also claim they speak for God and assert themselves in a similar manner.

So, obviously, anyone can make that claim, the OP is about the validity of such a claim and where any truth may be found in it.

For those of you that want to make this about me, just address the OP and leave specific beliefs out of it, because my personal beliefs or yours really has nothing to do with the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,366,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Actually the idea that a person could be wrong does not mean that someone isn't speaking something that is true.

To take the stance that you speak absolute truth does not make you inherantly correct.

In fact, that kind of thing is exactly what my OP is attempting to get a person who takes that approach to address.

When two people with opposing view points takes that approach to what they say what demonstrates that someone is correct from that claim?
Exactly!!!

Old 10-13-2011, 08:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Personally, I don't lose sleep over whether people believe what I say or not. I listen to what I feel inside, and to me, that is Christ. Sometimes I feel I get it right, sometimes I feel I've made a mistake. We may change over time, but He doesn't. He has never left us nor forsaken us.
So, you ARE admitting you could be wrong about your CORE beliefs?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-13-2011 at 09:01 AM..

Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
The reactions speak for themselves.
I guess you could say that. You judge by saying othjer people's words are not in spirit of God, yet you fail to see your judgment is not in spirit of God either.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I guess you could say that. You judge by saying othjer people's words are not in spirit of God, yet you fail to see your judgment is not in spirit of God either.

Perhaps it is not, at least you see the point of the OP finally, thank you.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,380,629 times
Quote:
So, you ARE admitting you could be wrong in what you say about universal salvation?
Finn,
my beliefs are based on scripture, and on what I feel in my heart. Love, as I have experienced it, does not torment and burn people. It is based on forgiveness, not arguing; freely doing good, not threatening punishment.

If God is Love, then we can rest in assurance that God will have all men to be saved in the end.

Blessings,
brian

Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
So, you ARE admitting you could be wrong in what you say about universal salvation?
After the Lord humbled me and made me teachable,I did the same thing in regards to the hell of eternal torment, i admitted to myself that I could be wrong about it, this would have never happened if I had not been made teachable, I would be right their with you Finn,condemning sinners to hell for not believing in Jesus and the bible(god).

Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I think the fact that even you doubt the core message you preach, speaks louder than any argument anyone else can make against universalism. Why should ANYONE listen to a word of it, when even you can't believe it.

That has nothing to do with what I said. Try again.

This thread is not about universalism, please address the OP and quit trying to hijack the thread.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
So, you ARE admitting you could be wrong about your CORE beliefs?

Well, I showed that you were wrong about the intent of my op, so obviously taking the position that you cannot be wrong didn;t mean anything, because you were.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Finn Jarber

What is your position on someone who has a different view than you that makes the same claim that you do, that what they are saying is the absolute word of God ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity