Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:03 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,089,776 times

Advertisements

I don't know about that... I really want vengeance on all the bad people in this world, and if they have to burn forever that might just be for the best, at least my mind will be at ease if that is how the story of existence ends... a happily ever after. Just think about enjoying heaven with the likes of Hitler and other psychopaths!!! I've never believed in UR or ET.

first of all, UR is about how life is a meaningless stepping stool for after-life.
and secondly, ET is about how God is unfair and you just have to deal with it.

I like a mixture of punishment in the after-life and then annihilation for the bad people.
Of course, that is only the best case scenario. I've never wanted eternal life... not sure If I would mind eternal bliss... still, would that be a real life? I mean, wouldn't it just be like fake, drug induced alternate reality? So in essence, I wouldn't mind it because I wouldn't know how to mind it.
I've always wanted something along the lines of reward in the after-life and then a peaceful end for the good people.
I've also only wanted to have one identity... not a soul (mind/body) AND a spirit. that's almost three identities... the concept of more than one identity is bitter to my soul. So, I was thinking that these "after-life's" would be lived entirely in fractions of a second before you completely die. Something along the line of NDE's where God's dwelling is strictly within the heart, and thus God's righteousness would be based on an individual manner and on individual sins. Perhaps the mind forcing the person to relive their lives... backwards. Meaning they would experience everything they dished out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:24 AM

987 posts, read 1,122,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
That's also what I inferred from her statement, ScarletWren. The scriptures state that God gave his son for the redemption of the whole world.
Glad you see it this way too Heartsong.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,338,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
"I wouldn't kill my own Son on a game of chance. Only if I was certain of the outcome."
I wouldn't kill my own Son....even if I WAS certain of the outcome.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,965,549 times
God didn't kill his son.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:43 AM

34 posts, read 99,039 times
Well, I thought the quote was in reference to Abraham (almost) sacrificing Isaac because God told him too. I wouldn't have thought otherwise until I read everyone elses posts. I wouldn't sacrifice my son/daughter either if God told me too. I would think I had become schizophrenic because I couldn't possibly have heard God tell me to kill my child.

I don't really get the her argument or thought process behind "God sacrifing Jesus". God didn't really sacrifice him. Jesus, like anyone else, had free will right? He could have said no. BUT he didn't. His love for us lowly folk was too great. He was willing to sacrifice himself, for us to gain from it if we were so willing to accept his gift. I'm curious to know more behind her question. I don't quite know how to explain such a vague idea. I'd like to know some basic things to get where her head is at before I could really answer.

I don't get the whole Jesus is the son of God and yet fully God here on earth thing. I can't wrap my head around that one, so maybe she is trying to articulate that? I really don't know. God wouldn't sacrifice Jesus if he didn't know the outcome. I mean, he is God afterall, omniscient, omnipotent, creator of all that exists. He kinda knows everything. If he didn't he wouldn't be God. And Jesus would just be a liar or crazy. Moot argument. Even if you don't believe in God, or Jesus, you need to look at the discussion from the viewpoint of someone who does. "If I believe that God is all the things I said above (you don't have to), then he isn't sacrificing his son and crossing his fingers hoping for the best. He knows. The bible says he knows. I believe he knows." therefore jesus was sacrificed willy nilly in the hopes that things would work out the way He wanted them too. God doesn't have "Oh crap..." moments

Old 10-20-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
That's also what I inferred from her statement, ScarletWren. The scriptures state that God gave his son for the redemption of the whole world.
And thankfully for me one of the best gifts I have been given is free will. I have the right to choose what I want to do. Un-believers have that same right. God did give his son for the redemption of the whole world. It is offered to anyone and everyone. The whole world may have it. But remember that free will thing? I can accept that gift or say no thank you, I don't like surprises.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:54 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,020,271 times
The girl in question is the daughter of a very prominent minister in Florida.

God would not sacrifice His only Son if the outcome was the least bit shaky.
He would not do so just so people could have a **chance** at salvation.
He did it knowing that the results stemming from sacrificing His Son would be sure and certain.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:58 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,020,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afinebalance View Post

I don't get the whole Jesus is the son of God and yet fully God here on earth thing. I can't wrap my head around that one.
You are not supposed to really get it since it is not understandable.

It is not true. God sent His Son into the world to save sinners. God did not send Himself.

God could not have possibly known the outcome of such a sacrifice if humans had free will.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:50 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,519,143 times
I'm sorry, I'm not a Christian but I must respectfully say that the OP doesn't make any sense to me.

If God were real he would be in a pretty good position to know whether or not the sacrifice of Jesus would save people from hell.

After all, God is the one that created hell and he is the one that decides the conditions upon which he will send people there.

So where is the game of chance involved? what is there to be uncertain of? God controlled every aspect of the game, right?

What am I misunderstanding here?

Old 10-20-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You are not supposed to really get it since it is not understandable.

It is not true. God sent His Son into the world to save sinners. God did not send Himself.

God could not have possibly known the outcome of such a sacrifice if humans had free will.
I disagree with the last sentence. God can very much still know the outcome and He isn't interferring with our decisions because he gave us free will. Our choices sometimes make him sad. He doesn't like to see us hurt ourselves...much like we as parents don't like to see our children get hurt. We don't and shouldn't interefere with some bad choices they make because they need to learn their way on their own. We can guide them but the decision is ultimately theirs to make.
The only thing I know for certain is that God exists, Jesus gave me the(choice to take)gift of life beyond this one. I don't claim to know the rest.
BUT, I didn't know this was going to be a discussion like this. Universalists something? Anyways, not my belief. Not my discussion. You are free to believe what you feel God has led you to believe as am I. Happy discussion to all and to all a goodnight.
could I have said discussion any more in that one paragraph or what? I should consult a thesaurous. discussion discussion discussion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity