Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,591,592 times

Advertisements

Seems some folk think Paul was not in agreement with Jesus and the other Apostles. Please enlighten me. I am ignorant of this POV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 12:46 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,232,474 times
Until recently, I had never heard someone, who claims to be a Christian, call Paul a false teacher. I'm not surprised though. If Satan can convince someone Paul's teachings aren't true then they have to throw out most of the New Testament. How convenient for him.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,855,392 times
On the road to Damascus..The great awaking Paul had regarding the stopping of the persecution of Christians seems far fetched - sound like he had a mild stroke and the scribes elaborated on the "audio-vision" he supposedly had.

Remember that Paul or as he was formally called Saul- worked for the Roman occupiers of the area..he was for all intent and purpose a very ambitous henchman. If you take the the incident concerning - Saint Stephen - who was so gifted that he literally glowed...and how Paul held the coats of the culprits that stoned Stephen to death - it makes you wonder who Paul really was. The other part is that most assume that Paul hung out with Jesus - from what I understand the two men never met - which takes away Pauls crediblity to some degree.

Paul or Paulism is what the universal Catholic Church was built on - along with Peter the traitor and coward - and the mother of Jesus - Mary - who scripture describes as believing her son Jesus was a crazy man..

Pauls sloagans and interpretations of the teachings of Christ were very political - in fact I believe that Paul was the worlds first modern politican.. I found that in the sub-text of his writing he is maniputlative and self serving - for instance in his letter to Timothy...when he concludes - he asks the young men to bring him his winter coat ...It looked like the rest of the letter was just filler and Paul could have been honest and simply said - "Tim...when you get back this way - could you bring me my coat?"

Paul was a man of earthly ambtion and saw the great opportunity to use the great concepts of Christianity to further himself. .... If you look at the writings in the New Testiment - it is cluttered with the letters of Paul...and the ideas of Christ seemed to be minimal..as if edited for politcal reasons by the Romans. It is also said that after the death of Jesus - the little church was in the trust of his brother James the Just...ancient rumor has it that Paul was present at the stoning of James and as with Stephen did nothing about it.

Christianity is about the teachings of Christ - not the corporate guidelines set out by Paul - that is just my view.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
On the road to Damascus..The great awaking Paul had regarding the stopping of the persecution of Christians seems far fetched - sound like he had a mild stroke and the scribes elaborated on the "audio-vision" he supposedly had.

Remember that Paul or as he was formally called Saul- worked for the Roman occupiers of the area..he was for all intent and purpose a very ambitous henchman. .
Question: do you believe that God can change a person's life around so that he is no longer his old self, but becomes a new person?

Old 10-21-2011, 02:00 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,018,653 times
Paul is not supposed to be in agreement with the other apostles. Paul is the apostle of the nations, the uncircumcision. The nations have a heavenly calling, the Circumcision an earthly calling. The nations are saved by faith apart from works, the Circumcision are saved by grace mixed with works. These are just some of the things which differ. Remember the agreement Peter, James and John made with Paul in Galatians 2.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:04 PM

33,367 posts, read 26,637,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Seems some folk think Paul was not in agreement with Jesus and the other Apostles. Please enlighten me. I am ignorant of this POV.
There is nothing wrong with Paul. Paul taught the doctrines which concern the dispensation of the church - the church age believer.

Now, Jesus Christ is eternal and infinite God. But in His humanity He was born, lived, and died in the dispensation of Israel in which the Mosaic Law was in effect. Christ's primary reason for coming into the world was to go to the cross to die for the sins of the world. But during His life He had to fulfill the Mosiac law. This He did. Most of what He taught concerned the Mosaic law and also the Millennial kingdom which will begin at His Second Advent. It was not His purpose at His First coming to speak much of the church-age in which we now live. This was left to the apostles, and particularly to Paul.

John 16:12 records the following. ''I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13] 'But when He, the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

Jesus said that He was leaving many things unrevealed, but that the Holy Spirit would reveal those things when He came. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would not speak on His own, but would speak only what He heard from the Father. This by the way, points to the interdependence between the Persons of the Godhead. The Father would tell the Spirit what to teach the apostles about the Son.

It was the Holy Spirit who taught the full truth concernng Jesus Christ, and concerning the church-age.

John 15:26 'When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of Truth, who proceeds from the Father, He will bear witness of Me, 27] and you will bear witness also, because you have been with Me from the beginning.''

Paul, though not being made an apostle untill his encounter with the resurrected Jesus on the Damascus road, was appointed to reveal more about the church-age then the other apostles. Peter gave Paul his full endorsement in 2 Peter 3:15-16. 'and regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him wrote to you, 16] as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Peter identified Paul's letters as having the same authority as the rest of the Scriptures - the Old Testament Scriptures.

Peter spoke of how the unstable and the untaught distorted not only Paul's letters, but the rest of the Scriptures. The same thing is happening today. There are those who falsely accuse Paul of not being an apostle, and of being a deceiver.

Those who reject the teachings of Paul cannot grow in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Last edited by Michael Way; 10-21-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Paul, though not being made an apostle untill his encounter with the resurrected Jesus on the Damascus road, was appointed to reveal more about the church-age then the other apostles. Peter gave Paul his full endorsement in 2 Peter 3:15-16. 'and regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him wrote to you, 16] as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Peter identified Paul's letters as having the same authority as the rest of the Scriptures - the Old Testament Scriptures.

Peter spoke of how the unstable and the untaught distorted not only Paul's letters, but the rest of the Scriptures. The same thing is happening today. There are those who falsely accuse Paul of not being an apostle, and of being a deceiver.

Those who reject the teachings of Paul cannot grow in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ.
Thread killing post.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:18 AM

37,574 posts, read 61,652,947 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with Paul. Paul taught the doctrines which concern the dispensation of the church - the church age believer.

Now, Jesus Christ is eternal and infinite God. But in His humanity He was born, lived, and died in the dispensation of Israel in which the Mosaic Law was in effect. Christ's primary reason for coming into the world was to go to the cross to die for the sins of the world. But during His life He had to fulfill the Mosiac law. This He did. Most of what He taught concerned the Mosaic law and also the Millennial kingdom which will begin at His Second Advent. It was not His purpose at His First coming to speak much of the church-age in which we now live. This was left to the apostles, and particularly to Paul.

John 16:12 records the following. ''I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13] 'But when He, the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

Jesus said that He was leaving many things unrevealed, but that the Holy Spirit would reveal those things when He came. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would not speak on His own, but would speak only what He heard from the Father. This by the way, points to the interdependence between the Persons of the Godhead. The Father would tell the Spirit what to teach the apostles about the Son.

It was the Holy Spirit who taught the full truth concernng Jesus Christ, and concerning the church-age.

John 15:26 'When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of Truth, who proceeds from the Father, He will bear witness of Me, 27] and you will bear witness also, because you have been with Me from the beginning.''

Paul, though not being made an apostle untill his encounter with the resurrected Jesus on the Damascus road, was appointed to reveal more about the church-age then the other apostles. Peter gave Paul his full endorsement in 2 Peter 3:15-16. 'and regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him wrote to you, 16] as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Amen

Old 10-22-2011, 04:25 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,550,393 times
Quote:

Right on!

Old 10-23-2011, 04:31 PM

7,616 posts, read 6,127,563 times
Paul was mentally ill, and everything in his "Conversion" can be assigned a reasonable explanation of his illness.....
I never thought of Paul as a "great teacher" because his "Conversion" and faith rely entirely on emotion and adherance to religious dogma (legalism)/ The same Major Flaws in Christianity as a religion to this day can be traced back to Paul.

Paul never had the "enlightened" thinking that Jesus, Buddha, Ghandi, Confuscious or all those other religious leaders had. I would not put him in any pantheon of great philospher's either. I really would not put his writings anywhere except the garbage can.
While many think of Paul as a "Man of God" remember this: Jesus was all about a relationship between man and God, while Paul was all about a religion, a religious doctrine full of How tos and thou shalts that totally missed the mark wherever Paul went. Paul was not a great thinker or an enlightened teacher.
That is Paul was all about religion when he was not busy boasting and bragging about himself....in which instances, Paul was all about Paul.

Advice: If you want a religious experience, Then be Like Jesus, not like Paul. There is a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity