Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 03:46 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times

Advertisements

Three days, wasn't it?

There's so much abouty this story I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times
Let's make it very simple. Jesus offers Eternal Life whatever you think it to be. Why not take it and not worry about the rest.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:19 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
It is a period of time.

To our Creator [who lives outside of this time-line], a period of time is a period of time. It could be a blink of an eye, it could be a day, it could be a thousand years, it could be more.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Nice to see you realizing the temporary nature of things finally.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:43 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
A billion of torment years might as well be an eternity, if you know what I'm saying.
Since it is tied to the amount of unrepentant unloving damage we are responsible for in this finite life it is hardly plausible that it could be much longer than our mortal lifetime.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:08 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
In biblical terms, an eon is simply a long indeterminate amount of time.

The hebrew equivalent "olam" was used for the following durations, for example:
- the length of a man's life
- several hundred years
- several thousand years
Yep. I find it odd that ETers often seem glad when they say they believe torment for anyone would last forever without end. Moderator cut: deleteted

Last edited by june 7th; 11-20-2011 at 02:01 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 11:09 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default "Eons and eons ago, in a universe far far away..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Correction yet again . . . God does NOT punish! There are consequences for our unloving acts. The duration and type of self-inflicted remorse and misery (weeping and gnashing of teeth) is determined by each individual's life experiences, period. God simply removes all our psychological blinders and rationalizations and reveals ALL of our unloving acts that have caused harm to others . . . one-at-a-time . . . and we then experience what we caused. If you have a lot of those and a lot of souls who were affected it could take a while. (Of course, those you have repented of during this life are excluded.)
So uhm... I'm just curious, Mystic: does He consider offsetting those "sinerous" things with a review of the good things we also did? Do we self-review our good deeds as a sort of award? The bumble bee I brushed off my shirtsleeve instead a mashing it? The mouse I pried out of my well-fed cat's genetically-driven & ravenous mouth, and then set "wee-bit moosikee" free? The old lady I helped across the street? (Now why she didn't tip me is still a bother in my mind...)

Because if List B (The Good List...) is longer than List A ("Your Sins"), mayhaps we get to go north instead of south? I can always hope, huh? Even though I'm a Big Old Atheist.. I'm still and always willing to give God a chance once He actually shows up (He's been reliably late otherwise...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
A billion years of torment? Maybe I will get used to it after a few thousand years, and the rest of the time will go pretty quickly.

Kind of like playing a super-hard golf course. It may upset me to start with three double bogeys, but then I get used to it and enjoy the rest of the round.
My thoughts regarding Hell exactly, hiker!: if you're a normal human being, then the endless torment will rather quickly drive you nutzo, and you wouldn't notice anything any more. (Note the typical delusional mental state of deranged homeless street people! They make up their own little universe, and have their own circle of imaginary friends, as would a hell-dweller for sure!)

But if He magically "converted" you to some sort of endlessly pain-tolerant entity, then what would the point of torment be? After a while, any sort of continuous stimulus loses it's credibility or utility. Patently obvious to any first-year psychology student, and also all of us critical thinkers.

Of course, the point of eternal damnation and forced horrific suffering for "eons" () is to scare folks into mandated compliance. Oh, and maintenance of a tithing mentality of course, let's not ever forget. ().

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Time is irrelevant.
Ooops; then The Big Bang was, oh....uuuhhhmmmm... who the heck cares how long ago, huh? All we need to know it that, obviously, since we're here, it had to have happened, oh let's just say... "eons" ago!

A Timeless "Cheers" to y'all!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:10 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Since it is tied to the amount of unrepentant unloving damage we are responsible for in this finite life it is hardly plausible that it could be much longer than our mortal lifetime.
Well, it could be possible that if one played a role in the extreme suffering of many people, conceivably one could be punished for many earthly lifetimes. But I actually doubt that is how God works his judgement out because his ways are higher than ours and that is simply my human thinking. But it doesn't hurt to keep that in mind when one is tempted to be unkind or unloving or uncaring about others.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:58 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Since it is tied to the amount of unrepentant unloving damage we are responsible for in this finite life it is ...
It is ???

Old 11-19-2011, 02:04 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It is ???
Yes . . . because it is during those times that your consciousness was producing "tares" not "wheat." Our consciousness is the in-process form of our eternal Spirit accumulating within the Universal Field (God's consciousness). Every single instant of our consciousness that is "tares" will be accounted for during the "Eon."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity