Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever spoken in tongues?
Yes 10 37.04%
No 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 04:49 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

I personally have not spoken in tongues, but know some people who do. My father routinely speakes in tongues when he prays alone, and I my brother in law does it at his 4AM prayer meetings with his brothers in Christ. It is not something one should "try", it is something which just happens. In by brother in law's case he was praying with a group of believers when suddenly one of then was given the gift of tongues, and within minutes most people in the group also received the gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 05:59 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
Never give a supernatural dimension to a natural phenomena.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:19 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I have spoken in tongues [SIT].

However I do not understand it to be a 'gift'.

God defines what His 'gifts' are, and He never calls SIT a gift.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Speaking in tongues is for bypassing the natural mind because the carnal mind [natural senses] is at enmity with God concerning spiritual things as they can not be understand by the five senses. Only the spirit of a man in Christ can understand. Yes, I have spoken in tongues and still do and it is very edifying in the Spirit and draws one closer to God.

1COR 14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

1COR 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
The tongues of Angels are not understood but are as gibberish unless one has the ability to interpret and should only be done in private unless a known interpreter is present.

1COR 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
1COR 14:5 I would that you all spoke with tongues but rather that you prophesied: for greater is he that prophesying than he that speaks with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying."

1COR 14:39 "Therefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
1COR 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order."

There is nothing to fear in the Grace of God that is of God and no man is held accountable to what they do not understand.
I get what you're saying--I've seen that hermeneutic. Frankly...I'm not sure that's really a good understanding of the text. I think Paul is speaking specifically against the idea that we all have a private prayer language.

I attended a "Camp Meeting" in Tulsa, OK that was put on by a very popular WOF preacher about 17-18 years ago. I went forwards to be prayed over to receive the gift. I was led to a back room and prayed over, then "taught" how to do it. Everyone was repeating the same "ba-bababababa-babababa" sound. It just wasn't a "language" as much as it was a bunch of babbling. It wasn't real. I always figured if God wanted me to speak in tongues, he'd make it happen instead of me being "taught" by someone.

Having said that, I have no issue with the idea that my Christian brothers and sisters disagree with me on this--it's not an essential issue.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:01 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,017 times
Since God knows every thought I have, even before I think it, I don't see or understand the need for a secret prayer language. I guess I prefer knowing exactly what it is I'm praying. If it is edifying for someone, I wouldn't ridicule him/her, but I also tried the babbling exercises a few times as instructed by some authors of books about it and nothing happened so I'm content to commune with the Father by my native language and thoughts.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
I get what you're saying--I've seen that hermeneutic. Frankly...I'm not sure that's really a good understanding of the text. I think Paul is speaking specifically against the idea that we all have a private prayer language.

I attended a "Camp Meeting" in Tulsa, OK that was put on by a very popular WOF preacher about 17-18 years ago. I went forwards to be prayed over to receive the gift. I was led to a back room and prayed over, then "taught" how to do it. Everyone was repeating the same "ba-bababababa-babababa" sound. It just wasn't a "language" as much as it was a bunch of babbling. It wasn't real. I always figured if God wanted me to speak in tongues, he'd make it happen instead of me being "taught" by someone.

Having said that, I have no issue with the idea that my Christian brothers and sisters disagree with me on this--it's not an essential issue.
One does not force it or taught to but inspired to at Gods timing.

I was at a church once and a large group was praying when all of a sudden I saw what the Book of Act describes:
ACTS 2:3 "And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them." I saw both the cloven tongues as of fire and heard them speak in tongues spontaneously. I am a witness of these things and can not deny what God showed me.

After one receives it the proper use of it is as follows:
1COR 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself [in private], and to God.

As easily that He caused all to speak in new tongues at the tower of Babel, He can give the gift of tongues today in the form of known tongues of the earth or the tongues of Angels. You can ask but it is God's gift to give and God's timing when to give it. One does not need to work it up as some say. To force it, is not of God.

Last edited by garya123; 11-23-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 11:00 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
::Sigh::

Old 11-23-2011, 11:39 AM

488 posts, read 1,251,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
now, this was a comment worth making...

Old 11-23-2011, 12:57 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,503 times
I took a few years of German and Latin, but I'm rusty as all get out since it's been so long ago.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:36 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

Now that's what I call speaking in tongues, or is that phrases....

How's this for speaking in tongues...u-na-s-ti-s-gi yuh-wee-yaw.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity