Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever spoken in tongues?
Yes 10 37.04%
No 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:22 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

That's right! You have to believe everything the bible and the preacher tells you without question or you go straight to hell.

It is also written:

"Test everything. Hold fast to that which is true."

"Now I am a man and I have put aside childish things"

"You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

(But don't tell the preacher any of this)
The scripture is talking about becoming as little children before God not man. I said nothing of believing all that man says.

If you are going to quote the scripture then quote the entire context.
1COR 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1COR 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1COR 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1COR 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

If knowlege has not been done away with and it has not, then and neither have the gifts. When we see the perfection of Christ at His return then we shall know Him completly as He knows us now. We only know Him now as a child but then the partial knowlege of Him shall be done away with and we shall know Him as a mature man knows things.

Last edited by garya123; 11-25-2011 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 01:18 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
The scripture is talking about becoming as little children before God not man. I said nothing of believing all that man says.

If you are going to quote the scripture then quote the entire context.
1COR 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1COR 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1COR 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1COR 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

If knowlege has not been done away with and it has not, then and neither have the gifts. When we see the perfection of Christ at His return then we shall know Him completly as He knows us now. We only know Him now as a child but then the partial knowlege of Him shall be done away with and we shall know Him as a mature man knows things.
RESPONSE:

>>1COR 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.<<

That pretty much says it. Of course, being set free by knowing the truth has a lot to recommend it.

>> When we see the perfection of Christ at His return <<

Christ is quoted a number of times saying that he was going to return while his original followers were still alive. Of course, he didn't.

What makes you think he ever will?

Old 11-25-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
RESPONSE:

>>1COR 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.<<

That pretty much says it. Of course, being set free by knowing the truth has a lot to recommend it.

>> When we see the perfection of Christ at His return <<

Christ is quoted a number of times saying that he was going to return while his original followers were still alive. Of course, he didn't.

What makes you think he ever will?
You still do not quote it in context. The meaning of that scripture is not found in that one sentence. Why do you quote scripture if you do not believe them? He did return in the form of the Spirit.
2COR 3:17 "Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty [from sin]." He that has the Spirit has the Father and the Son because all three manifestations of God are the One God.

JN 1:14 "And the Word was made flesh." The outward form of Christ [His body of flesh] is the Son and the inward empowerment and all that He said was the Father speaking through Him.
JN 14:9 "Jesus said unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet have you not known me, Philip? he that has seen Me has seen [known] the Father; and why say you then, Shew us the Father?" After having said these things the disciples finally caught on.
JN 16:29 His disciples said unto him, Lo, now you speak plainly, and speak no proverb."
By saying this He made sense of the scripture that says:
IS 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government [of the Kingdom of God] shall be upon his shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

This was His promise:
JN 14:18 ""I will not leave you comfort less: I will come to you."
JN 14:20 At that day you shall know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you."

It all depends on what kind of return He meant in the context of scripture. There is another form of return when Christ will return to gather up His children into Heaven and put in end to this world.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:32 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
You still do not quote it in context. The meaning of that scripture is not found in that one sentence. Why do you quote scripture if you do not believe them? He did return in the form of the Spirit.
It all depends on what kind of return He meant in the context of scripture. There is another form of return when Christ will return to gather up His children into Heaven and put in end to this world.
RESPONSE:

Some fundamentalist rely on the old "in context" ploy to try to tell us the plain words really means something else than what they plainly say. One has to be pretty gullible to believe that.

1 Thes 4:15-16

"For this we declare to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will by no means precede those who have died. 16For the Lord himself, with a cry of command, with the archangel’s call and with the sound of God’s trumpet, will descend from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up in the clouds together with them to meet the Lord in the air; and so we will be with the Lord for ever. 18Therefore encourage one another with these words."

Matt 10:23

"And when they shall persecute you in this city, flee into another. Amen I say to you, you shall not finish all the cities of Israel, till the Son of man come. "

The meaning is clear. The "in context" argument saying otherwise is untenable.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 11-26-2011 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-26-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
RESPONSE:

Some fundamentalist rely on the old "in context" ploy to try to tell us the plain words really means something else than what they plainly say. One has to be pretty gullible to believe that.

1 Thes 4:15-16

"For this we declare to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will by no means precede those who have died. 16For the Lord himself, with a cry of command, with the archangel’s call and with the sound of God’s trumpet, will descend from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up in the clouds together with them to meet the Lord in the air; and so we will be with the Lord for ever. 18Therefore encourage one another with these words."

Matt 10:23

"And when they shall persecute you in this city, flee into another. Amen I say to you, you shall not finish all the cities of Israel, till the Son of man come. "

The meaning is clear. The "in context" argument saying otherwise is untenable.
The context of what you are saying here is quite plain and I did not say otherwise. There is that day when He will return at the end but He is here already in another form.

JN 16:22 And you now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again,[after the resurrection and on the day of Pentecost and thereafter] and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you."
Why is everything a ploy to you? I'm being strait forward with you. You may think me ignorant, after all, I don't know everything, but no need to insult my sincerity. I see what I see and I share it.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:28 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
"Speaking in tongues" is explained in Bible: it is the the speaking of a second (or more) language. But

Acts 2:4
All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues

Acts 2:6
When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.

Because people could understand what was being spoken in their language Acts 2:6 , "speaking in tongues" is not the indiscernible babbling that some attribute it to.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:39 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
"Speaking in tongues" is explained in Bible: it is the the speaking of a second (or more) language. But

All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues

When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.

Because people could understand what was being spoken in their language Acts 2:6 , "speaking in tongues" is not the indiscernible babbling that some attribute it to.
Something we actually agree on! Amazing.I have spoken in the tongues of French and Spanish . . . so I guess I qualify as speaking in tongues.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:41 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

I agree.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:57 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Honestly, I feel this is bunk. In the same way that some congregations practice snake handling, or drink poison koolaid, it is just something that some people do to make others think they are "holier than thou".
No mainstream religion, led by educated people practice this.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:41 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I have never even seen what you are saying in the Scriptures...
See the gifts of Holy Spirit of tongues by a travailing spirit scripture is from Romans 8: 22-26....``For we know that the whole creation groans and travailing in pain together until now ...and not only they , but ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption , to wit, the redemption of our body..... For we are saved by hope for what a man sees, why does he yet hope for?...But if we hope for that we see not then do we with patience wait for it....Likewise the spirit also helps our infirmities, for we know not what we pray for as we ought, but the spirit itself makes intercession for us with groaning which cannot be uttered....``...... Usually there is a lead in the spirit to pray during a meeting were the spirit of travail will grow and spread throughout the meeting doing a Work with the People cleaning them, quicken them by His blood of Jesus power , helping new converts come to Christ and bring renewal to older Christians who need confidence in their walk and the Travailing spirit gift does other things only He knows by the Lord , but the Spirit will only do to the expectation of the people in the meeting .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity