Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever spoken in tongues?
Yes 10 37.04%
No 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 06:19 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
One does not force it or taught to but inspired to at Gods timing.

I was at a church once and a large group was praying when all of a sudden I saw what the Book of Act describes:
ACTS 2:3 "And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them." I saw both the cloven tongues as of fire and heard them speak in tongues spontaneously. I am a witness of these things and can not deny what God showed me.

After one receives it the proper use of it is as follows:
1COR 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself [in private], and to God.

As easily that He caused all to speak in new tongues at the tower of Babel, He can give the gift of tongues today in the form of known tongues of the earth or the tongues of Angels. You can ask but it is God's gift to give and God's timing when to give it. One does not need to work it up as some say. To force it, is not of God.
1Co 14:26 Then what is it, brothers? When you come together, each one of you has a psalm, he has a teaching, he has a language, he has a revelation, he has an interpretation. Let all things be for building up.
1Co 14:27 If one speaks in a language, let it be by two or three at the most, and in turn, also let one interpret.
1Co 14:28 And if there is no interpreter, let him be silent in the assembly, and let him speak to himself and to God.

I do not see the word private anywhere in these verses...I must have an edited version of the bible...It still does not state that it is a private prayer language...Where in scripture does it even imply that anyone spoke in the tongues of Angels?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 06:40 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
my limited experience observing this phenomena has always been one of confusion and dissension.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
my limited experience observing this phenomena has always been one of confusion and dissension.
Quote:
1 Cor 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

It would be near insanity should everyone be out of control and all speak at once.

Worship services should be done in a manner where all things are done unto edifying.

If any SIT it should be maybe two in all cases never more than 3, and this should be done orderly, one after the other, and each tongue needs to be interpreted

If the person is not instructed nor believing to interpret then he needs to stay quite.

That spirit born in you is subject to you.

God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

If confusion reigns it is not from God.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It would be near insanity should everyone be out of control and all speak at once.

Worship services should be done in a manner where all things are done unto edifying.

If any SIT it should be maybe two in all cases never more than 3, and this should be done orderly, one after the other, and each tongue needs to be interpreted

If the person is not instructed nor believing to interpret then he needs to stay quite.

God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

I agree.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:34 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I agree.
I have stood in congregations where confusion reigned.

I have also been in congregations where everyone maintained control of their persons. Where SIT is done in course, one after the other, in order. Where each tongue was interpreted, where only 2 or 3 SIT. And where it was very rarely the baby talk that you hear about.

I have also witnessed people shocked by hearing their own native languages being spoken.

This happened once to me. I SIT, and afterward people in the congregation told me that what I had spoken was in their native language. They grilled me for a while to ensure that I had no knowledge of their language, because they were so amazed.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:

I have also been in congregations where everyone maintained control of their persons. Where SIT is done in course, one after the other, in order. Where each tongue was interpreted, where only 2 or 3 SIT. And where it was very rarely the baby talk that you hear about.

I have also witnessed people shocked by hearing their own native languages being spoken.

This happened once to me. I SIT, and afterward people in the congregation told me that what I had spoken was in their native language. They grilled me for a while to ensure that I had no knowledge of their language, because they were so amazed.
I have never had your experience.

As I understand the gifts ( speaking and interpreting), it must ( as it should be ) an amazing thing to behold.

However there are many "gifts of the Spirit", and I have been blessed to experience many of them.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I'll briefly describe my experience and thoughts about it:

I first spoke in tongues in the winter of 1971, when I was a young man in the military, while alone and driving my car. Actually, when it first happened, I sang in tongues, I didn't "speak" it. It was in the evening around 10PM and I was on a fairly long trip (120 miles). About half way to my destination I started praying very earnestly to God. I don't remember what it was I was praying about. Anyway, after awhile, I felt this tremendously profound peace and all of a sudden I was singing...in tongues...not English...and it was so utterly joyful. I have been able to do this ever since.

Furthermore, at the time, I had not ever heard of "tongues", or the "baptism with Holy Spirit", etc. Up to that time I had only hung around with Nazarenes and Baptists, and neither had talked to me about such things...I guess "tongues" was a "taboo" subject or something. Anyway, after this happened I didn't know what it was, all I knew was when I did it, it brought so much peace to me. I didn't think it was unusual at all...for some reason I just didn't give it a second thought. I didn't go around asking friends "what is this that happened to me?", etc. Some years later I went to a "charismatic" church and they told me I had experienced the "baptism with the Holy Spirit and tongues". Most of the time now (like 99%) it is not an emotional thing for me, no more than speaking in English would be.

Is there a "phony tongues" that is just "babbling nonsense"? IMO: yes there is...lots and lots of it!. The problem with this is it convinces people that tongues as described in the Bible doesn't exist...that it's "not for us today".
But, is there a real tongues out there, like the ones described in the Bible? I am totally convinced there is. I didn't ask for "tongues", hadn't even heard of "tongues" (at the time). All I was doing was praying and seeking God.
IMO, the real tongues isn't "babbling", but a language. And, the language could be a known one (spoken somewhere on earth), or it could be an unknown one...known only to God and the angels.

Don't ask others whether this is real or not, read your Bible, pray, and ask God...find out for yourself.

Bud
Great Testimony! It is written, "Except you become as little children, you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven." because "The things of God are foolishness to the carnal mind" and so they mock and do not receive. This does not mean that all believers will speak in tongues but at lest thy humble themselves to the basics of salvation but there is always more to be had.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:19 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Great Testimony! It is written, "Except you become as little children, you will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven." because "The things of God are foolishness to the carnal mind" and so they mock and do not receive. This does not mean that all believers will speak in tongues but at lest thy humble themselves to the basics of salvation but there is always more to be had.
RESPONSE:

That's right! You have to believe everything the bible and the preacher tells you without question or you go straight to hell.

It is also written:

"Test everything. Hold fast to that which is true."

"Now I am a man and I have put aside childish things"

"You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

(But don't tell the preacher any of this)

Old 11-25-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:

As i grew in knowledge with logic and reason i came to realize this...But as a young Christian i was told that everyone speaking in services was the Holy Spirit moving amongst them despite what i read in the scriptures as to the order of such things...I was young in Jeshua, what did i know, i honestly thought that Satan was attempting to confuse me, as they told me he was...They always had an answer for any question i asked concerning the difference in their behavior during services and what the scriptures indeed stated how it should be conducted...I also did not realize at the time that 'slaying in the spirit' was not in the scriptures, however, as my knowledge grew, i came accross articles regarding pagan religions in Corinth that emloyed the 'slaying in the spirit' phenomena...Logically, i surmised that somehow that phenomena crept into the church at Corinth...and Paul does seem certainly to be admonishing them for placing such a higher value on tongues than other things of the spirit...Remind you of a certain denomination today?....

Old 11-25-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:

And it was to them the Hawyaw used you to speak...And you may not know what Hawyaw was saying to them or why but He knew there was something in their hearts that needed speaking to that they would believe it without doubt...Their grilling of you was in fact a trace of doubt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity