Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:13 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,136,420 times

Advertisements

When a corrupt religious organization, uses Jesus Christ's name for businesseS, hides it's finances, becomes powerful, financially & politically - WATCH OUT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,392,367 times
James 1:27 comes to mind.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:31 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,297,909 times
In between eating her Thanksgiving left overs, June has had to delete a large number of posts in this thread. Please remain on topic, everyone. Thread is about tithing, not side bar conversations.

Oh, and enjoy the left overs!

Old 11-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Forestbeekeeper, I'm not going to keep repeating the same scripture & explaining the math. What's more important anyway is going by the greatest commandment - to love others as ourselves. Jesus wasn't so nit-picky about tithes nor about how much to give & when. He just loved as he went along.

The reason I pointed out this Old Testament scripture about 1/3 of tithes being instructed for the poor, is because most Christian organizations accept the Old Testament, yet do not follow even the instruction to give the minimal 1/3 for the poor. Do you think Jesus would give less than 1/3 of what he had for others?

Please post the scripture that indicates this 1/3 tithes is separate from the annual tithe.
I quoted from the King James Version.

Last edited by SuperSoul; 11-26-2011 at 01:02 PM..

Old 11-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
James 1:27 comes to mind.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

As we love others, we love God.
"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these, ye have done it unto me.
Inasmuch as ye have NOT done it unto one of the least of these, ye have NOT done it unto me." - Matt 25:40, 45

Old 11-26-2011, 01:11 PM

37,516 posts, read 61,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Forestbeekeeper, I'm not going to keep repeating the same scripture & explaining the math. What's more important anyway is going by the greatest commandment - to love others as ourselves. Jesus wasn't so nit-picky about tithes nor about how much to give & when. He just loved as he went along.

The reason I pointed out this Old Testament scripture about 1/3 of tithes being instructed for the poor, is because most Christian organizations accept the Old Testament, yet do not follow even the instruction to give the minimal 1/3 for the poor. Do you think Jesus would give less than 1/3 of what he had for others?

Please post the scripture that indicates this 1/3 tithes is separate from the annual tithe.
I quoted from the King James Version.
I would love to read a Bible passage that explains how anyone is to give 1/3 of their tithe to the poor.

Any Bible passage. As we have been discussing, Please provide us with a Bible passage that supports your claim.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:12 PM

Of course we do need to see after our widows, orphans and poor.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Forestbeekeeper,
I've repeatedly answered you in many different ways, even providing scriptures. If you are truly interested, you'll review my posts in this thread.
You have yet to give any scripture as to what you mentioned about tithes being in addition, or separate from regular tithes.

It's ok. It seems you just want to argue, & I don't. I do enjoy debating - but only if we're actually both learning, not if we're going in circles & not if you won't acknowledge my answers or questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Of course we do need to see after our widows, orphans and poor.
Let's just leave it there. Something we both see clearly.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Forestbeekeeper,
I've repeatedly answered you in many different ways, even providing scriptures.
Not anything showing how the tithes were to be divided, you have not.

Quote:
... If you are truly interested, you'll review my posts in this thread.
Yes, and you explained how you have became emotionally connected to the topic of providing for the poor.

I get it.

I am not saying this as an insult to you.

It is terrible that we have poor people, and we should try to help them.

However we can not allow our emotions to rule the day, and effect our reading of God's Word.

Quote:
... You have yet to give any scripture as to what you mentioned about tithes being in addition, or separate from regular tithes.
You have posted many times a passage that describes the 3rd year tithe, which is commanded in addition to the annual tithe. Every commentary understands this and discussed how Israel was required every third year to tithe twice of their grain harvests and herds. But it never over-ruled the primary prohibition against the forbidden things.

Do you wish for me to re-post the passage that you so love to post? Is that what you are asking for?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:26 PM

Poverty - YouTube

"Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.
Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy." -Proverbs 31:8-9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity