Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:44 PM

19,794 posts, read 20,385,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Fair enough, although it still strikes me as very, very, very odd -- since everyone has up until the end of the year in order to claim that they've paid a full tithing, and there is no such thing as a "late tithing" until December 31 at midnight, in which case the individual would still have to make a statement one way or the other (full tithing or part tithing) in order to clarify his own situation.

So then you're saying yes, it is odd for them to call now??

You guys are confusing me here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 05:24 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,103,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
So then you're saying yes, it is odd for them to call now??

You guys are confusing me here...
Yes, it would be extremely odd for anyone from the LDS Church to call and say, "You're late on your tithing." As I've said, and as Hueff has said, that's just so out of the ordinary that it's hard to imagine it happening. Since you only heard one side of the conversation, I have a hunch there's something you're missing. If your friend had actually made a point of saying, "Bishop, I intend to pay a full tithing this year and I'll have a check to you buy such and such date," and then didn't, maybe the call was as a reminder of a promise. Even that sounds really odd, though. There are probably more LDS people who don't pay a full tithing than there are who do, and I suspect even they would tell you that they aren't harrassed in any way to come up with "money owed."

Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
. There are probably more LDS people who don't pay a full tithing than there are who do, and I suspect even they would tell you that they aren't harrassed in any way to come up with "money owed."

I didn't say he was being harrassed about the money.

(That would have been a whole nother issue entirely! lol)

What Hueffenhardt said about the December tithing settlement made sense to me.

I do not want to suspect any weirdness from the church. I asked so as to be informed of the process.

But the way you keep insisting it's not normal for them to call is really making me question some things about this ward...

Old 12-16-2011, 08:49 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,103,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I didn't say he was being harrassed about the money.
I'm sorry, but I used the word "harrassed" because the way you originally described the incident in question sounded a lot like what I would call harrassment.

Quote:
What Hueffenhardt said about the December tithing settlement made sense to me.
If the incident took place in December or even late November, it could have very well been about tithing settlement. Even so, it would have been very unusual for there to have been any implications made that the person was "late on his payments."

Quote:
I do not want to suspect any weirdness from the church. I asked so as to be informed of the process.
Well, I hope that between me and Hueff, we've helped clear things up.

Quote:
But the way you keep insisting it's not normal for them to call is really making me question some things about this ward...
I can certainly understand that.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity