Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:57 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,552,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Sorry to disagree, but the tithe was only required of OT jews. This is not a requirement for NT Christians. Christians are not required to keep the OT laws, like the food restrictions, worshiping on Sat. etc. Certainly offerings are expected, but there is no amount required for NT Christians.

2Co 9:7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
No requirement but it is a good principle showing what God considered generosity without compulsion but only in ones prosperity. Jacob told God that if He would prosper him first then he would pay a tithe but not before.
GEN 28:20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
GEN 28:21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:
GEN 28:22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that you shall give me I will surely give the tenth unto you.

The tithe was to support the ministry of Israel and the poor. If it takes more than 10% to run a church and it's charities than I think something is wrong. Many of us could not even afford that. The tithe principle was given to the Jews only but nevertheless a good principle that can be adopted but not as a law to be strictly kept. Abraham paid tithes before the law was given and therefore it is not even a part of the law but a principle of giving. The problem is that some take it as law and push it on others so as to condemn if one does not do it.

The poor are pressed on by others to pay or God will not bless, which thing is a lie: as if one can buy blessings. God blesses first then we give out of a grateful heart and the overflow, but some go beyond that at times because of great faith and love such as the widow.
MK 12:44 "For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she [the widow] of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living." You can bet that a miracle was given to restore her living expenses. I know, because I have done the same several times and received great miracles of both spiritual and material blessing as a direct result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 06:47 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,475,751 times
i understand that we should help others, but the tithe is no longer mandated. not even the jews tithe anymore. it was never monetary. nor was it weekly, only the levite can collect it. the local pastor has no authority telling people to give 10% of their earnings. Giving tithe is not for today, however, we should help those in need. we are a great people who have big hearts. but we should never intermingle our emotions with truth.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 AM

37,615 posts, read 61,711,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
As Christians, we are instructed to pay 10% of our income for God... for GOoD... for the church to function & for the poor.
Abraham gave a tithe [10%] of the spoils of war. [after his hired mercenaries had already carried off the remaining 90%].

Moses later gave the commandments for the peoples of Israel to give of their first harvest [the barley harvest]. And later extended it out to cover the increase of the flocks and other crop harvests.

Moses never extended the tithe out to include the forbidden thing or the abominable items of graven images.

Quote:
... Churches (& leaders in charge of finance) are responsible for allocating tithing/donation funds properly. Scriptures specifically say that 1/3 of tithing is to be given to help the poor...

"At the end of 3 years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up iwthin thy gates: And the Levite, (because he hath no part no inheritance with thee,) & the stranger, & the fatherless, & the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, & shall eat & be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest." -Deuteronomy 14:28,29
I would like you to focus in on this part:
"Scriptures specifically say that 1/3 of tithing is to be given to help the poor"

Could you please explain and give Chapter and Verse supporting this doctrine that you propose?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 AM

939 posts, read 1,028,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
As Christians, we are instructed to pay 10% of our income for God... for GOoD... for the church to function & for the poor. \
No. We aren't. If you choose to live under the Mosaic Law, knock yourself out. I'd prefer to live in Christ.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,137,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
No. We aren't. If you choose to live under the Mosaic Law, knock yourself out. I'd prefer to live in Christ.
What in the world makes you think tithing was established under the Mosaic Law? Jesus Christ said that we need to continue to pay tithes and offerings but not ignore the even more important commandments (love, mercy, etc.) If you want to live in Christ, you need to go back and do your homework.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:04 AM

939 posts, read 1,028,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What in the world makes you think tithing was established under the Mosaic Law?
Umm....Deuteronomy, Exodus, Numbers?
Quote:

Jesus Christ said that we need to continue to pay tithes and offerings but not ignore the even more important commandments (love, mercy, etc.) If you want to live in Christ, you need to go back and do your homework.
What verse are you quoting where Jesus said that?

Romans 10 say that Christ is the end of the Law for righteousness. If you think you are going to be made righteous by the Law, you are in error and will die in your sin. I'd prefer to live in Christ and not have to worry about doing doing doing to be considered righteous.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:49 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,137,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Umm....Deuteronomy, Exodus, Numbers?
Are you telling me you're guessing?

Quote:
What verse are you quoting where Jesus said that?
Matthew 23:23 (although Luke 11:42 says the same thing): "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay titheof mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone."

Moderator cut: deleted due to sarcasm

Last edited by june 7th; 11-26-2011 at 11:54 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 11:23 AM

37,615 posts, read 61,711,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What in the world makes you think tithing was established under the Mosaic Law? Jesus Christ said that we need to continue to pay tithes and offerings but not ignore the even more important commandments (love, mercy, etc.) If you want to live in Christ, you need to go back and do your homework.
What???

Jesus during his ministry as a Jew, spoke with other Jews and He addressed many things.

Where did Jesus speak to the church and say anything about tithing?

Chapter and Verse please.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,552,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
What???

Jesus during his ministry as a Jew, spoke with other Jews and He addressed many things.

You are right. There is no chapter and verse.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,971,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
What???

Jesus mentioned tithing several times in his teachings, but each time he did it was not to endorse it but rather to reprimand the Pharisees for doing so only to bring attention to themselves, condemning their self-righteous pride. He admonished them to remember the more important aspects of the law, such as judgement, mercy, and faith as Katspur said.

Jesus spoke more often about giving than tithing, and giving in much larger amounts, including service.

In Matthew 10:8 he says, "Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give." In Matthew 19:21, he tells a young man who asks how to gain eternal life, "If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity