Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,023,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, I believe that we should strive to reach for the goal of the high calling of Christ that Paul talked about in Philippians. God is calling out a group of people to be those shining lights in the world and we should be different, not trusting in ourselves to be righteous but trusting in God to bring about those changes in our lives that reflect His work in us. There are a lot of verbs in the writings of Paul like rejoice in the Lord always, be anxious for nothing, press on toward the goal, keep living by that same standard to which we have attanined, practice these things, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, work out your salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who is at work within you both to will and work for His good pleasure, and so on. I believe that we are to be active participants in the process of transformend into His image, and there should a difference in our lives. But we should humbly realize that this is all the work of God in our lives. We love because He first loved us. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,899,695 times
I think living a 'holy life' means doing what you know is right in all situations instead of doing only what your emotions tell you to do.

You don't have to believe in a god to know what it means to treat people honestly and with respect.

If there were a god, what else would he or she want you to do?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM

461 posts, read 481,151 times
You must be made perfect as the Lord in heaven is perfect.

If you wish to be made perfect follow me and proclaim the glory of God.

Quote:
Thus says the Lord; For I am the Lord your God; sanctify yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy.

The Lord said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man who fears God and turns away from evil."

"The words of the Lord are upright and all his works are truthful, He loves justice and right".

"Love is what I want not sacrifice knowledge of God not holocaust".

"Do what is right and just."

"Didn't your Father eat and drink. He did what is right and just and it went well with him because he dispensed justice to the weak and the poor it went well with him. Isn't this true knowledge of me"says the Lord.
Everything has been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone who the son chooses to reveal him.

Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you peace.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find peace for yourselves.
For my yoke is upright, and my burden is light.

Not everyone who cries Lord ,Lord will enter the kingdom of God but only those who do the will of my heavenly Father.

My brother's ,mother and sister's do the will of my heavenly Father.

I came down from heaven to do the will of the One who sent me, not my own. Anyone who chooses to do His will shall know about this teaching, namely, whether it comes from God or I'm speaking on my own.

Whoever wants to serve me must follow me. Where I am that's where my servant will be. Whoever serves me the Lord will honor him.

Anyone committed to the truth hears my voice.(JN)

Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,928,064 times
Many "Christians" don't want to live a life pleasing to God. They enjoy the sins of the flesh, and have no interest in repenting. But they are deceiving themselves to think that they can continue to do that and be saved. Saving faith means that our first relationship is with Jesus.

1Jn 2:15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1Jn 2:16 For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world.
1Jn 2:17 The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever

Gal 5:19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
Gal 5:20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM

63,867 posts, read 40,149,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princely View Post
You must be made perfect as the Lord in heaven is perfect.

If you wish to be made perfect follow me and proclaim the glory of God.

Everything has been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone who the son chooses to reveal him.

Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you peace.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find peace for yourselves.
For my yoke is upright, and my burden is light.

Not everyone who cries Lord ,Lord will enter the kingdom of God but only those who do the will of my heavenly Father.

My brother's ,mother and sister's do the will of my heavenly Father.

I came down from heaven to do the will of the One who sent me, not my own. Anyone who chooses to do His will shall know about this teaching, namely, whether it comes from God or I'm speaking on my own.

Whoever wants to serve me must follow me. Where I am that's where my servant will be. Whoever serves me the Lord will honor him.

Anyone committed to the truth hears my voice.(JN)
Cite the scripture sources and stop using Christ's words as yours implying you are anything but a bloviating pretender wanna-be Jesus.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 PM

461 posts, read 481,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Cite the scripture sources and stop using Christ's words as yours implying you are anything but a bloviating pretender wanna-be Jesus.
What does this say to you?
Bk of John;
Jesus said(Father) ***the words you gave to me I have given to them, and they accepted them ***

"As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world".

Just because you cannot enter through the narrow gate , don't think you can make me stumble.

Just as lightning flashes from the east to the west, so shall it be at the coming of the son of man.

Wake up or you won't know when your Lord has come.

Just as in the days of Noah, so shall it be at the coming of the son of man.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:58 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,367,338 times
I think the simple and undeniable fact that we live in fleshly bodies is part of the problem. It's a little hard to get away from sin entirely.
I love Arthur Pink's "The Depravity of Man" as it really shines light on the nature of inherent sin.

It is not in man's nature to follow God or let go of his desire, therefore, people will bristle and turn the other way if they think too much about having to "give up" this sin -or that sin.

Being a "living sacrifice" is a daily commitment.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,188,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I think the simple and undeniable fact that we live in fleshly bodies is part of the problem. It's a little hard to get away from sin entirely.
I love Arthur Pink's "The Depravity of Man" as it really shines light on the nature of inherent sin.

It is not in man's nature to follow God or let go of his desire, therefore, people will bristle and turn the other way if they think too much about having to "give up" this sin -or that sin.

Being a "living sacrifice" is a daily commitment.
Repped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity