Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:58 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

If I run into a fundamentalist, or even a Baptist, who thinks Catholics "have it wrong," I simply distance myself from that person rather than argue, because experience has proven it to be futile and not salvageable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 04:17 PM

419 posts, read 435,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If I run into a fundamentalist, or even a Baptist, who thinks Catholics "have it wrong," I simply distance myself from that person rather than argue, because experience has proven it to be futile and not salvageable.
That pesky truth thing is so troublesome, isn't it? Not saying you're wrong..but wouldn't you want to take the time to think about what the truth is?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 AM

229 posts, read 337,755 times
I know the OP question was serious but find it somewhat funny that Catholics feel "hated" almost as exclusive when Mormons, JW's, Muslims get way much more public shaming, abuse, and hate.

This isn't to get into a comparison since ALL religions have doubters and we know the god of this world loves confusing ones away from the true God. But.. can't help but to think... each conversation I have with Catholics always end with "we put much emphasis on traditions and less on the bible" but Mark 7:8 "You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions." or even better the translation from the New Living Translation "For you ignore God's law and substitute your own tradition."

There's a reason why the bible clearly mentions one faith and false religion, if ones want to keep testing if they are in the faith as the bible mentions ones cannot rely on traditions but search Gods word. Otherwise you're treating mans traditions as fact over Gods word with is truth.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Come on, Julian... Some fundamentalists hate everybody except their fellow fundamentalists.
They're pretty suspicious of everybody but members of their little 100-person church. Yet, even then, there are some members of the congregation whose beliefs need to be vetted a little more before getting the stamp of approval.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:22 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
They're pretty suspicious of everybody but members of their little 100-person church. Yet, even then, there are some members of the congregation whose beliefs need to be vetted a little more before getting the stamp of approval.
The OP has been very clear that his church is the true church. You do realize that, right?

Old 09-30-2014, 10:42 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The OP has been very clear that his church is the true church. You do realize that, right?
Deep down in their own heart, everybody believes that, including you. The fact that you choose to attend a particular church is your way of saying, "Hey, I think these guys have it down." Heck, I make no bones about it -- I think God is an Anglican. But there is an enormous difference between thinking that your path is the one that embodies the highest degree of truth and just spewing out venom about someone else.

I mean, hey, I disagree with a lot of Catholicism, and there's plenty there to criticize. But I do not believe Catholics are going to hell, I don't believe the Pope is the antichrist (Particularly this one. Ratzinger? I had my doubts), and I don't believe that every priest is a child molester in the making. Yet there are those whack jobs on this forum who just say the most amazing and ill-informed things about Catholicism, things that make the steel plate in my head throb.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:08 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
^
You know I'd say the conclusion noted has to be simply due to congregations congregating within their own ramparts. There seems to be many at 'the wars '. Everybody wants their 'share of voice' louder than the other. You're certainly not the only one that has the steel plate throbbing. The shots are apparently being flung all over the place.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:18 AM

950 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Listen the folks who think Catholics are going to hell,etc, are the same people who think that Lutherans,Anglicans, and Methodists are going to hell because they ,even though protestants,don't tow the evangelical line.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:26 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Don't you believe your church is the true church, Vizio?

Old 09-30-2014, 05:33 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,614 times
I grew up in a Catholic family, and honestly didn't even know there were all these other Christian religions out there until I was older. I have no issues with any religion, as long as people do not try to force their religion on others, then it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity