Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:53 PM

42 posts, read 181,655 times

Advertisements

I am catholic and always feel offended when I hear other Christians talked down to by a fellow Catholic.We are all Christians,and I have never believed one denomination has a monopoly on salvation or the truth.We are all Gods children. Most Catholics I know would never talk down to another Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,939,123 times
Sadly, in far too many cases, its probably the blind leading the blind, and in the end, they both fall into a pit.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 AM

134 posts, read 239,827 times
Quote:
Too many people are looking for "feel good" churches. They miss the whole point. It's about giving to God the worship that is due Him, not about what a person can get out of the church they go to.
Exactly. Sadly, churches have became "Americanized" (Or "Southernized" here in the south). My Aunt goes to a Non-Denominational church that has rock bands and stuff. She said "regular" church (Baptist, Catholic, ect.) is boring and said she would not have gone back if she didn't find her "Americanized" church.

I'm not into the spirited Baptist/Pentecostal emotionl preaching ever. It may work for some but it is not my style. I don't need a preacher to go up and hoot and holler, then yell at everyone for being a sinner when he is just as guilty. Once again, this is not a knock against members from their respected donominations.

Quote:
I am catholic and always feel offended when I hear other Christians talked down to by a fellow Catholic.We are all Christians,and I have never believed one denomination has a monopoly on salvation or the truth.We are all Gods children. Most Catholics I know would never talk down to another Christian.
I don't like it either. It makes me sick and makes us look bad.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,095,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Sadly, in far too many cases, its probably the blind leading the blind, and in the end, they both fall into a pit.

what does this mean????

Old 04-17-2012, 01:29 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,305,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
God does not need worship.

I think we need God more than God need us. That is the human condition!

There too many Protestant denominations. There is one Catholic Church since the onset of Christianity. Nevertheless, I personally pay no attention to religious differences because they are praying to the same God. God is not petty and he does not care about those differences. If God cared about that then he would be less Godly and that is not possible.

Your church does not play music whereas others do. It does not really matter what you do with that.

Christianity is about living like Jesus.
the god which is presented to us by most mainstream religons is extremley petty , jealous and demanding , he , she or it may be none of theese things but i can only call it as i see it

Old 04-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny47 View Post
im athiest but was raised catholic , thier is a far greater level of intollerance towards catholics by other christian denominations than vice versa , in fact many protestant denominations have anti catholicism as one of the cornerstones of thier faith

Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,939,123 times
AntieAnnie. The truth about God and our Savior Jesus Christ is knowable. God does reveal the truth in the scriptures. Its people's problem that they fail to read it, study it, and listen to what God has to teach us. Therefore, because they don't know the truth, and refuse to listen to the truth, they are blind, and those teaching them who don't know the truth are blind, and in the end, sadly, they will both end up in the same place.

Jn 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Jn 17:17 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.
Jn 8:31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Jn 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
AntieAnnie. The truth about God and our Savior Jesus Christ is knowable. God does reveal the truth in the scriptures. Its people's problem that they fail to read it, study it, and listen to what God has to teach us. Therefore, because they don't know the truth, and refuse to listen to the truth, they are blind, and those teaching them who don't know the truth are blind, and in the end, sadly, they will both end up in the same place.

Jn 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Jn 17:17 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.
Jn 8:31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Jn 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

more threats , then again , its all you,ve got

Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,727,185 times
Former Catholic who found the truth and left the church. I never understood why catechism (CCD) classes focused on the church and not God. I questioned it regularly and the teachers did not appreciate my inquisitive nature.

As for the saints, that was a huge thing in my family. Still is for those who still attend the Catholic church. One time my mom buried a statue of St. Joseph in the front yard, upside down as it's believed he will help you sell your home. While driving it's St. Christopher who is the patron saint of the freeways. A prayer to him will help to ensure safety. There are more but that's what I can think of at this moment.

I was also taught that the Catholic church was the one true church and only Catholics will be in heaven. Hell will be full of Protestants. I attended many parishes as our family moved frequently. We attended very conservative to more ecumenical.

Once I received Jesus as Savior and Lord in my life I wanted to begin attending church again, however this time I did my research and found the a church and denomination the fit me spiritually. It doesn't matter what denomination you belong to, if you've received God's free gift of salvation through Jesus then you're headed to be with Him for eternity.

When my kids ask about people who don't go to heaven I've told them that if that person didn't want to spend time with God here on earth, why would they want to in the afterlife? It's like going to the party of someone you simply can't stand and the people at the party as well. Why go?

Old 04-17-2012, 05:42 PM

42 posts, read 181,655 times
I have had people tell me to stay in the church,but it I have also been told unless I agree with what the church teaches,then I shouldn't receive communion.So why stay.Am looking for a bible based church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity