Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,369,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
Thanks. I will take your comments under advisement. I'll have to go back and find the priests who lied to me about Catholics being the only ones going to heaven. Guess they are misinformed as well. Not a good thing when the teacher is misinformed.

So CCD, confirmation classes, baptism, first communion and close to 20 years sitting through Mass on Sundays isn't enough to be an informed Catholic? Seriously? Please, tell me, what did I miss between all that??
There are protestants who think Catholics worship Satan, so there is misinformation on both sides.

Vatican II dates back to the very early 1960s. It is possible that you were dealing with fundamentalist Catholics. Unfortunately there are fundamentalists in all religions and all these folks think everyone else is going to hell.

But, there is more, Vatican II recognizes that Jews and Muslims are also in good standing with the Lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 02:49 PM

64 posts, read 62,415 times
Quote:
Thanks. I will take your comments under advisement. I'll have to go back and find the priests who lied to me about Catholics being the only ones going to heaven. Guess they are misinformed as well. Not a good thing when the teacher is misinformed.

So CCD, confirmation classes, baptism, first communion and close to 20 years sitting through Mass on Sundays isn't enough to be an informed Catholic? Seriously? Please, tell me, what did I miss between all that??
Hi Dat_loves_to_cook. I am another example of a Catholic who was baptized, went through first communion, CCD classes and confirmed and spent the first 20 years of my life attending Mass every week and yet I lacked a depth of understanding of my faith. As a result, I stopped going to church and floated around for 13 years. In the end I decided to re-vert to Catholicism. Although I enjoyed the fellowship I experienced in many other christian churches it came down to the belief in the "real presence" of Christ in the eucharist. I felt the Catholic church and other Orthodox churches got this one right and it was a deal breaker for me.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:39 AM

593 posts, read 892,238 times
My energies are on end-times senario's,preparation as we enter the biblical signs and pangs and also bible studies twice a week. I'm reading The Harbinger (messanic Rabbi Jonathan Cahn) and Saturday or Sunday what is the Sabbath ? Anyway, I was a Catholic years ago, but went to grade school and Catholic High school (an Academy of lay teachers and christian brothers. Excuse the I's but I was alumni president and very active prior to going to Viet Nam. Catholicism is barely within the christian realm which suggests it's just a religion and one that mixes many biblical truths,does many good works not withstanding missions,education and pro -life leaders. On the flip side the faith in entrenched in paganritual,intercessory prayer to mediators,(no one goes to the Father but by me aka Jesus Yahoshua /Yeshua) Anyway, Catholicism has exhausted itself in manufacturing dieties,icons,saints (requirements),peripherally distracting nonbiblical nonsense ie,catechism,indulgences,rosary,mass, and general dogma having little to do with anything. All well intended ,adoring and loving naturally, but disconnected ,absurd,blasphemeous and an example of Constantine/Nicea victimization held in tradition for centuries without a clue of origins.

Das

Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
My energies are on end-times senario's,preparation as we enter the biblical signs and pangs and also bible studies twice a week. I'm reading The Harbinger (messanic Rabbi Jonathan Cahn) and Saturday or Sunday what is the Sabbath ? Anyway, I was a Catholic years ago, but went to grade school and Catholic High school (an Academy of lay teachers and christian brothers. Excuse the I's but I was alumni president and very active prior to going to Viet Nam. Catholicism is barely within the christian realm which suggests it's just a religion and one that mixes many biblical truths,does many good works not withstanding missions,education and pro -life leaders. On the flip side the faith in entrenched in paganritual,intercessory prayer to mediators,(no one goes to the Father but by me aka Jesus Yahoshua /Yeshua) Anyway, Catholicism has exhausted itself in manufacturing dieties,icons,saints (requirements),peripherally distracting nonbiblical nonsense ie,catechism,indulgences,rosary,mass, and general dogma having little to do with anything. All well intended ,adoring and loving naturally, but disconnected ,absurd,blasphemeous and an example of Constantine/Nicea victimization held in tradition for centuries without a clue of origins.

Das
Typical fundamentalist Protestant anti-catholic dogma dressed in a non threatening manner.

As I said lay uninformed Catholics sometimes become Protestants and paradoxically well trained Protestant Pastors are converting to Catholicism even if that means losing their jobs as ministers.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:09 PM

889 posts, read 827,299 times
Quote:
Hell will be full of Protestants.
That is one hundred percent true. Unfortunately, there are more once Catholics there than protestants mostly because there have been way more Catholics through the centuries.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 PM

42 posts, read 181,733 times
I have never seen a more contentious thread than this one:Very unchristlike!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,729,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Typical fundamentalist Protestant anti-catholic dogma dressed in a non threatening manner.

As I said lay uninformed Catholics sometimes become Protestants and paradoxically well trained Protestant Pastors are converting to Catholicism even if that means losing their jobs as ministers.
Why are you so combative whenever someone posts something you don't agree with? You could stand to be a bit nicer.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,716,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, I haven't been following the Catholic threads so maybe this was answered somewhere, but a person who works with me shared that she is a Catholic and referred to believers who are not Catholics as Christians. So I am wondering if Catholics seem themselves as Christians. Just asking. Thanks and God bless.
You are "wondering if Catholics seem (see?) themselves as Christians."
Is this question actually a result of logical, rational thought?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Why are you so combative whenever someone posts something you don't agree with? You could stand to be a bit nicer.
The core of Protestantism is to be anti-Catholic.

It is not uncommon to hear anti-catholic rhetoric every Sunday in these churches.

The entire protestant movement was based on anti-Catholicism.

Sorry, for sounding a bit irritated when I hear the same worn out rhetoric the ministers teach the protestants.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,729,855 times
The churches I have attended have never spoken ill of the Catholic church in or out of the pulpit. The movement may have started out as anti-Catholic but not all Protestants are out to hate on Catholics. I have many family members and friends who are devoutly Catholic, we respect one another's beliefs and move forward. If we have issues we deal with it, but are not hateful about it at all. We love one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity