Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I know what you mean...I am Orthodox Christian - and I LIKE ancient ritual- My parents were Russians - and it is heart warming to see things done the old way - Last Christmas - I took a walk over to the Etheopian Orthodox Christian church - had a few gin and me and hung out during the mass - it was soooo ancient - unchanged in a thousand years - what an beautiful experience - It was as if - I was in another world in another time..beautiful - and TRADITIONAL - there was no hippy dippy hand holding there - or phoney smiles and handshakes - it was serious and stern.
Exactly!

However, I am told fundamentalists oppose rituals and traditions. But, some of these churches are so new that by definition they cannot have tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 08:05 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree, IMHO Christian folk/rock music is not very Catholic. And the priest should speak more in Latin.
1COR 14:9 So likewise you, except you utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for you shall speak into the air.
1COR 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
1COR 14:9 So likewise you, except you utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for you shall speak into the air.
1COR 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
That is why the mass is not in Latin anymore.

How about Jews? For Jews knowing Hebrew is important to understand their religion.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:20 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i am not a catholic nor care to be but why would i want a priest to speak more latin.
Because if the whole Church shares a language it aids the idea of universality. I am hearing Latin, someone in Manilla is hearing Latin, and so forth. We are all together with a language of the Early Christians.

I'm not saying I personally want a return to Latin, but I do see the reasoning behind it. I personally think I might have difficulty with a full Tridentine Mass and do like the participation we have now as it's what I've always known. And I think indicating the current Mass is "hippie" is unfair for many parishes. I've never seen an electric guitar at Mass and rarely do I hear any guitar. The "Sign of Peace" I believe dates back to ancient Christianity unless I'm misreading the 1911 Catholic Encyclopedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Encyclopedia
After the Lord's Prayer, at Rome, during the fraction, the celebrant sings: "Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum." It seems that this was the place to which the kiss of peace was first moved (as in Innocent I's letter). This greeting, unique in the Roman Rite, occurs again only in the Apostolic Constitutions (he eirene tou theou meta panton hymon). Here it comes twice: after the Intercession (VIII, xiii, 1) and at the kiss of peace (VIII, xi, 8). The two Roman prayers after the Communion, the Postcommunion and the Oratio super populum (ad populum in the Gelasian Sacramentary) correspond to the two prayers, first a thanksgiving, then a prayer over the people, in Apost. Const., VIII, xv, 1-5 and 7-9.
The more constant hand-holding some priests do is not universal and I think is in decline.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
See The Living God is diverse with His people who can Worship the Lord in many different way and Holy Spirit will accept the faith , ... Even though there are bounds that men will deny Jesus and His name , which is not there ..... Some ideas were men Worship the Lord many different languages , or different musical ways and forms and the Lord will say ``This is self determination and we are not to judge``..... Also the Lord said from Mark 11:17...``My house will be called of all nations a House of Prayer``..... As there are many forms that the Lord sees His Children in the Worship of spirit and truth .... I have even heard that in some jungle area where missionaries have gone in a converted would swing in on trees and put fruit from trees in the offering as this is their abundance , and Holy Spirit recognized their understanding that the deceptions of sin is the dead end when knowing the Living God ....

Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
I like both. Latin and vernacular. I would love to attend a Tridentine Mass one day!
i belonged to a church that had both---and the latin mass had a warmth to it that reminded me of pre vatican days--in sw fla there is even a newly(past5 yrs) built totally tridentine mass church called christ the king(venice diocese i believe)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity